• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pwoffey
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2013
    • Adelaide

Crossmember anomaly

I am about to fit a Brown Davis transmission bashplate. I have had a preliminary look under the Paj and noticed a substantial "dimple" in the steel of the trailing edge of the middle main cross-member, just to the left (passenger side) of midline. I suspect this is rock damage and it might welll interfere with the fitting of the bashplate. But would some kind soul with a NT/NW please have a look under their vehicle and see if this is normal or not? [Just to get the orientation right, the tyre you can see in the pic is the front passenger tyre, so we are looking forward and to the left from under the fuel tank.]
    Very many thanks in advance.
    Attached Files
    BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni Raid 90 front, Dobinson IMLrear shocks with Kings 34-HD springs front, 35-EHD rear, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads, Mark's 4WD reduction gears
  • outbackogre
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2010
    • Melbourne

This is a pic of mine.
    Attached Files
    My friends call me Rob; you can call me .... Rob.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    MY12 NW GL DiD auto. 2" MD Lovells/Bilstein lift. Bushskinz underbody protection. Home made rear platform with sliding boxes above and lots of space underneath.

Comment

• geopaj
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2007
      • Adelaide

If it’s in the way, just straighten it back down. Maybe a large shifter and a bit of pipe might work? If not, worst case scenario, it’s straightforward to remove the crossmember and tjen you will be able to hammer it back down.
      Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• Pwoffey
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2013
        • Adelaide

Thanks guys.
        BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni Raid 90 front, Dobinson IMLrear shocks with Kings 34-HD springs front, 35-EHD rear, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads, Mark's 4WD reduction gears

Comment

• aussieintas
          Valued Member
          • Feb 2013
          • Sorell, Tasmania

Bit of heat would assist also
          2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
          88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
          92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
          92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
          99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
          95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
          08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• Pwoffey
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2013
            • Adelaide

Originally posted by aussieintas View Post
            Bit of heat would assist also

No shortage of heat in Adelaide today

Comment

• pronvit
              • Mar 2019
              • New Zealand

Just curious, how can it be in the way if it's bent upwards? Or are there any plates that go on that side?
              2008 Pajero NS V6. Factory rear diff lock. OME suspension. Ironman underbody protection. Rhino-Rack Pioneer Platform. ASFIR hidden winch mount, Ridge Ryder 12000lbs winch.

2006 LR Discovery 3 TDV6.

Comment

• Pwoffey
                Valued Member
                • Jul 2013
                • Adelaide

Good question. I haven't quite figured out how the Brown Davis transmission guard fits, but from pics I have seen of Boos (and I think Bushskinz?) , it looks like there is a small metal plate (one on the left and one on the right) near the trailing edge of the bashplate that is bolted onto the plate and then goes forward to sandwich the rear sill of the trailing edge of the cross-member (which is where my bent up bit is). Have a look at Denmonkey's video of fitting Boos plates from about 11mins 10 secs and especially at about 12mins 55 secs. https://youtu.be/vM4-cIG0J7E

I have put the BD plate under the Paj and it is easy to see where the forward 2 bolts are attached to. But the attachment of the rear end of the plate to the crossmember is not clear at all. No little steel mounting plates (a la Boos) came with the BD bashplate. I have called Brown Davis and they insist that the packing list I have is complete and no further components are needed. Anyway I am not really limber enough to attach it myself under the car so I'll let TJM (who fitted my i/c and sump guards) do the job. Hopefully they can also bash out the cross-member if that's required. Then I'll be able to see how the thing is attached , 'cos it's not obvious to me.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X