• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Two Emms
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2020
    • Mansfield, Vic

Removable Rear Drawers

I am by no means an expert on rear drawers but my problem was one I think a lot of folks may have.
    One of the reasons I bought a Pajero was the seven seats. Perfect for grandkids. But most of the time its just me and my wife using it. We drag a little camper trailer for extended stays but have decided to start grabbing the tent and doing quick overnight jaunts into the bush. I mean, when you can be in the vic high country within half an hour, why not? So a fridge was bought (we always used an esky in the camper) and duly placed in the back of the vehicle. I reckoned a drawer set would be the go. As a carpenter I always made up boxes and drawers for my utes in the past, so why not. But I hit a bit of perfectly sensible resistance, 'What's the point of having the extra seats if you fill the back with drawers?' I opened my mouth and said 'I'll just make them quick to remove!"

So all I have done is make the whole unit in sections which bolt together in the back. I can put them in or take them out in about 20 minutes with just a spanner. The fridge is an a slide in its own box, part 1. There is a large box beside which has room for the tent and may eventually contain a drawer in the top half, part 2. and a large open topped box which sits on top of the fridge box, part 3 . The whole lot is made of 12mm ply and glued and screwed.

Removed the third row seats and the cover from the well they sit in. A large opening in one of the boxes give me access to the well. I removed the factory tie down points and anchored two pieces of Unistrut across the back. The boxes fix down to this.I ran heavy wire to the cupholder shaped pocket on the passenger side of the rear and installed a merit plug for the fridge, (always live) Fridge slide is from 4WD supastore and yes it was cheap and yes it did come a bit damaged. A quick bit of panelbeating and it works fine. The whole lot needs the carpet tidied up and maybe some fancy aluminium angle on the edges but that can wait.
    Reckon the whole lot cost 200 bucks tops plus a hundred for the slide. Probably weighs about the same or less than the third row seats so weight neutral. (excluding fridge full of cold drinks of course !)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Two Emms; 16-02-20, 12:13 PM. Reason: More info
    2016 NX GLS Factory alloy bar, Provent 200 catch can, Boos bash plates (full set), Stedi light bar, 40 litre Waeco, Titan fridge slide, Kings springs, Toyo Open Country AT3s, Auto-mate, Ultragauge, Uniden 8080s, Tanami x11, more to come...
  • Garc
    • May 2015
    • Perth

Nice,I really like the use of the unistrut as the base.
    Gary

2008 NS DiD Exceed. MM factory alloy full bar, Autosafe cargo barrier, Roley's rear bash plate, Uniden 8080 UHF, Kings 120A lithium battery in rear cargo area, Renogy DCDC charger, fire ext mounted in place of rear door handle, Redarc EBC, BushSkinz IC & sump. ARB Frontier replacement fuel tank, Pedders track rider suspension. Lockup Mate.

Comment

• paceman
      Valued Member
      • Feb 2018
      • Mackay

looks great...

how do your bolts attach to the unistrut piece?
      Paceman's NT Pajero

Comment

• Two Emms
        Valued Member
        • Jan 2020
        • Mansfield, Vic

The unistrut I used is the type used for road signs.The nuts are of a captive type, they twist into position and have a spring under them to hold them in place. Not sure if they are commercially available but i used to install signs and had a few laying around.
        Attached Files
        2016 NX GLS Factory alloy bar, Provent 200 catch can, Boos bash plates (full set), Stedi light bar, 40 litre Waeco, Titan fridge slide, Kings springs, Toyo Open Country AT3s, Auto-mate, Ultragauge, Uniden 8080s, Tanami x11, more to come...

Comment

• paceman
          Valued Member
          • Feb 2018
          • Mackay

Originally posted by Two Emms View Post
          The unistrut I used is the type used for road signs.The nuts are of a captive type, they twist into position and have a spring under them to hold them in place. Not sure if they are commercially available but i used to install signs and had a few laying around.

A great idea...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
          Paceman's NT Pajero

Comment

• kleinh17
            • Aug 2016
            • Germany

Great inspiration, thanks for sharing.
            Oliver.
            Pajero V80 2016 (NX) 3.2 DiD, OME 914/918 springs with 90006/90033 shocks, Cooper S/T Maxx 265/70R17, DIY side steps, Rhino Rack rails and Upracks roof rack, Darche HighView RTT, LED working lights, backdoor table (nothing wrong with me, Ronny)

Comment

• gemster
              Valued Member
              • Aug 2012
              • Gold Coast

There are several types of Unistrut and all the different types of Nuts are sold in good nut and bolt shops...

Gemster ...
              YES. ITS A MITZY . 97 NL 3.5 GLS AUTO (Formally owned by geopaj)__ Snorkel ,2 Uniden Uhfs , Roof Console, 2"lift, TT Suspension, Dual bat, Redarc System, BFG KO2's All Terrains, 55L sub tank, Pioneer sound, Milford cargo barrier, Extractors, SS exhaust, Rear camp light, Free Wheel Hubs, Improved Rear Storage unit, Alarm, Led interior lamps...
              And a 1999 NL LWB... Called 'Project Covid".. Stock Standard.
              ..Both with No Airbags. We die like real Men

Comment

• muryan
                • Jun 2020
                • Rohcester

I am by no means an expert on rear drawers but my problem was one I think a lot of folks may have.
                One of the reasons I bought a Pajero was the seven seats. Perfect for grandkids. But most of the time its just me and my wife using it. We drag a little camper trailer for extended stays but have decided to start grabbing the tent and doing quick overnight jaunts into the bush. I mean, when you can be in the vic high country within half an hour, why not? So a fridge was bought (we always used an esky in the camper) and duly placed in the back of the vehicle. I reckoned a drawer set would be the go. As a carpenter I always made up boxes and drawers for my utes in the past, so why not. But I hit a bit of perfectly sensible resistance, 'What's the point of having the extra seats if you fill the back with drawers?' I opened my mouth and said 'I'll just make them quick to remove!"

So all I have done is make the whole unit in sections which bolt together in the back. I can put them in or take them out in about 20 minutes with just a spanner. The fridge is an a slide in its own box, part 1. There is a large box beside which has room for the tent and may eventually contain a drawer in the top half, part 2. and a large open topped box which sits on top of the fridge box, part 3 . The whole lot is made of 12mm ply and glued and screwed.

Removed the third row seats and the cover from the well they sit in. A large opening in one of the boxes give me access to the well. I removed the factory tie down points and anchored two pieces of Unistrut across the back. The boxes fix down to this.I ran heavy wire to the cupholder shaped pocket on the passenger side of the rear and installed a merit plug for the fridge, (always live) Fridge slide is from 4WD supastore and yes it was cheap and yes it did come a bit damaged. A quick bit of panelbeating and it works fine. The whole lot needs the carpet tidied up and maybe some fancy aluminium angle on the edges but that can wait. here
                Reckon the whole lot cost 200 bucks tops plus a hundred for the slide. Probably weighs about the same or less than the third row seats so weight neutral. (excluding fridge full of cold drinks of course !)
                Looks so easy! Will try to make the thing on my own

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X