Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-3 Pajero

Generation 4-3 Pajero NW model 2011 - 2014

Old 11-05-12

Default Where to mount the UHF aerial

Hi everyone.

Your help please.
I wish to install an UHF radio but I don't know what is the best way to mount an aerial.

I don't want to put a bracket between the bonnet and the guard as I have been told by the communications store that the brackets are not strong enough and I don't have a bullbar to hang one off. Roof mounting is also out of the question.

Is there another way of mounting an aerial? Where? What type of bracket etc?
Pictures from members that have a different style of aerial mount would be greatly appreciated.

Grahame
SOLD - 2012 NW Platinum in Graphite, Dueler A/T Tyres, Dual Battery, Custom sheepskin seat covers, Prodigy P2 brake controller, Lovell springs, Bilstein shocks, Poly airbags, TJM color coded bull bar, Airtec Snorkel, GME TX3540 UHF, MMCS override cable, cargo blind, Bushskinz underbody protection,
Old 11-05-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahameL View Post
Hi everyone.

Your help please.
I wish to install an UHF radio but I don't know what is the best way to mount an aerial.

I don't want to put a bracket between the bonnet and the guard as I have been told by the communications store that the brackets are not strong enough

Grahame
That is a load of crap IMHO, had aerials large and small mounted with the bonnet z brackets without a problem

NT RX 2009 3.2TD Manual Ironbark with the usual stuff
Old 11-05-12

Some guy posted pictures before on the forum of his spare wheel mount. Bit more effort in wiring but you can pop the rubber grommets in the floor and run the cable underneath the vehicle - tucked up in the chasis rails.

Without a bull bar, that's where I'd probably put it
Old 11-05-12

many Police Pajeros have aerials mounted with the bonnet and very large ones. My ex police Paj has mounting holes on the LHF guard from removed UHF mounting brackets. so not too worry.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35885980@N03/6185471987/
Old 11-05-12
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahameL View Post
Hi everyone.

Your help please.

I don't want to put a bracket between the bonnet and the guard as I have been told by the communications store that the brackets are not strong enough and I don't have a bullbar to hang one off. Roof mounting is also out of the question.

Is there another way of mounting an aerial? Where? What type of bracket etc?
Pictures from members that have a different style of aerial mount would be greatly appreciated.

Grahame
Browsing the web I have seen a bracket that mounts on the front bumper, but didn't take too much notice as I have a bull bar fitted for mine

Try googling for antenna bracket for Pajero and maybe you can find it

good luck

david
Old 11-05-12
Valued Member

I have a bull bar on my NT but before I decided to get one I was looking at other aerial mounting options. I was concerned with the Z brackets mounting, not because they weren't strong enough but more from the possibility of rubbing against the bonnet paintwork.

I had finally decided on mounting off the spare wheel carrier on the back door. I have seen several Pajeros with aerials there and they seem solid and look pretty good. There is plenty of space and it just takes a bit more length of cable between the aerial and the radio.

But then the missus saw the value of the bull bar and the aerial is happily mounted to it.

John

2010 MY11 NT RX Diesel Turbo: Smart Bar, Bush Skinz Bash Plates, Bush Skinz rock sliders, Ironman side awning, Cibie driving lights, rear LED work/reversing light, Black widow rear drawers, 2nd battery, UHF, cargo barrier, Airtec snorkel, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, poly airs, air compressor, Hankook RF10 265/65R18s, Rhino aero bars

Wish list: Rear diff locker, long range tank, 48L water tank in rear seat well, 3" exhaust, Rhino roof basket
Old 11-05-12

I wouldn't believe the comms install guy. Take a look here, there's plenty of brackets coming out from under the bonnet.

http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ghlight=aerial

http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...7571#post27571
Old 11-05-12

Hi Grahame

I had a 1.5mm stainless steel z mount on my last vehicle for 6 years and that same bracket and 800mm antenna will shortly be on our current Pajero. The mount needs a small amount of bending to fit correctly. Is a personal choice but I prefer driver side mount as the antenna then misses more of the vegetation.

GrahameP
Old 11-05-12
Valued Member

Yep, salesman tellin stories again me thinks.

This has been on my NP since it was delivered in 2005 to a Dr in the Western District of Vic.
The vehicle has done 220,000 and I still use that same mount for my aerial.

Yep, stories are just that, stories.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aerial Mount Bonnet 1.jpg (77.9 KB, 383 views)
File Type: jpg Aerial mount Bonnet 2.jpg (98.4 KB, 424 views)
Old 12-05-12

Thanks to everyone for their comments

I was over at TJM this morning and without prompting he said the Z brackets are not strong enough to carry an aerial spring. He also said that he has seen an aerial with a spring bend the guard itself.

The aerial I was thinking of installing was a GME AE4018K1. Without the spring it would be OK to mount on the guard.

Grahame
SOLD - 2012 NW Platinum in Graphite, Dueler A/T Tyres, Dual Battery, Custom sheepskin seat covers, Prodigy P2 brake controller, Lovell springs, Bilstein shocks, Poly airbags, TJM color coded bull bar, Airtec Snorkel, GME TX3540 UHF, MMCS override cable, cargo blind, Bushskinz underbody protection,