Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Bolted on bits, factory and aftermarket accessories

Bolted on bits, factory and aftermarket accessories Discussion of after-market extras: winches, bull bars, tow bars (and Towing), roof racks, snorkels, and other cool stuff

Old 21-01-20

Default Winch Rings & Soft Shackles

So I bit the bullet and finally got myself a winch. Got a Runva 11XP premium just have to install it now.

But what I am also looking at is the winch rings with soft shackles rather than a snatch block. Anybody use them? brands to avoid, things to look out for, etc...

Thanks
Old 22-01-20

These guys are worth a look for soft shackles and snatch rings. I use Gator Jaw soft shackles.

https://www.drifta.com.au/product-category/recovery-gear/

Benny.
2011 NT Pajero Platinum, Fullriver DC105 & Odyssey 35PC1400 batteries, MM alloy bar, Stedi 8.5" LED driving lights, Bushskinz side steps & bash plates, Provent 200, Auto-mate TC lockup, Derale fan forced transcooler, 2 micron secondary fuel filter, custom 3inch exhaust, JT intercooler, Bilstein + Lovells 2 inch lift, Airbag Man bags, DBA slotted rotors & DBA XP pads, braided brake lines, diff+gearbox+transfer breathers, Redarc boost & EGT gauge, H-Reese Compact brake controller, Uniden UH7760NB.
Old 22-01-20
Valued Member

Any reason for using the ring and soft shackle to replace a snatch block? If the ring end lets go it's still a dangerous projectile, and I thought with it set up right that the weakest part of a set up with snatch block would be the winch cable.

This is a genuine question also, not trying to be argumentative, just reason out loud
Old 22-01-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco stu View Post
Any reason for using the ring and soft shackle to replace a snatch block? If the ring end lets go it's still a dangerous projectile, and I thought with it set up right that the weakest part of a set up with snatch block would be the winch cable.

This is a genuine question also, not trying to be argumentative, just reason out loud
Purely a weight saving exercise. When you tow a caravan and start adding extra recovery gear it all starts adding up. I've added 30kg to the car with the winch so trying to save weight where I can.
Old 22-01-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTBenny View Post
These guys are worth a look for soft shackles and snatch rings. I use Gator Jaw soft shackles.

https://www.drifta.com.au/product-category/recovery-gear/

Benny.
Thanks Benny. I did look at them and so far seem the best. There are others but either the price is up there or I'm not convinced about the quality (such as on eBay).
Old 22-01-20
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bad4u View Post
Purely a weight saving exercise. When you tow a caravan and start adding extra recovery gear it all starts adding up. I've added 30kg to the car with the winch so trying to save weight where I can.
Fair enough, cheers
Old 18-03-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco stu View Post

Actually the weakest point becomes the anchor for the snatch block / winch ring. Using a pulley halves the load on the winch and cable (2:1 advantage), but the load on the anchor will be double whatever the load is i.e. 3T Paj proper stuck = 6T on the winch anchor point if pulley used.
MY16 NX GLX, TJM steel bull bar, XGS suspension, Bridgestone Dueller 265/60x18LT, LRA 58L auxillary tank, 100aH dual battery with DC/DC charger, Rhino roof tracks and Pioneer platform, LightForce 180 Gen II LEDs, Cavalier camper trailer
Old 19-03-20
Valued Member

Saw a comparison a couple of weeks back between using a snatch block and a ring. The ring was quite a bit less efficient due to friction losses, and actually reduced the effective line pull quite considerably. Will try to find it for you.

Here it is..

Snatch block / Ring comparison

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.
Old 19-03-20
Resident

I've never heard of these "snatch ring" things, and I'm flabbergasted that anybody sells these as a genuine alternative to a proper snatch block for 4wd recoveries.

Anybody who understand the fundamental physics of friction would tell you they're not a good replacement for a proper snatch block.

Anybody selling recovery equipment should have a duty of care to the end user, and should know that these are not a good replacement for a proper snatch block.

Anybody who actually reads specifications of their recovery gear, understands the requirements for choosing an appropriately sized snatch block, and has actually found one, could tell at a glance that the snatch ring is too small. (Most "snatch blocks" sold for 4wd recoveries are too small for most synthetic ropes used on winches. Read the rope specifications.)

Just because a snatch ring works for rigging on a yacht doesn't mean it's suitable for use in a 4wd recovery.

If you're working on the "better than nothing" philosophy, maybe. If you have a proper snatch block, and wonder about carrying a second for those rare occasions when one isn't enough? Maybe.

But the video was clear. Where a proper snatch block reduced line tension by almost 50%, the "snatch ring" struggled to reduce tension by 25%. If you need a snatch block for your recovery, you need a snatch block. A "snatch ring" won't produce the same result.

In an emergency, the bow shackle in the video produced a bigger reduction in line tension than the snatch ring. But it would also do more damage to the rope, both from the tiny bend radius, and the massive heat generation.

So the answer is to carry two snatch rings, do a triple line pull, and achieve almost as much tension reduction as carrying a single snatch block.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box