Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Pajero Sport > Pajero Sport QE 2015 - 2019

Pajero Sport QE 2015 - 2019 The Pajero Sport new to Oz

Old 09-10-19

Default Simpson Desert

Hi all, just thought I would provide a quick post on my recent trip in late Sep across the Simpson from Birdsville to Mt Dare in my 2018 Pajero Sport. The only modifications to the car were changes to rear suspension (KCRS-23 and Peddars 5899 cones - thx for advice OJ as this was greatly appreciated crossing over the 1,100 sand dunes) and replacement of plastic bash plates with stainless steel plates (Boos in Kilsyth). I used 75L of diesel, got up Big Red first try and was able to get up and over the steeper sand dune on the top of Big Red (only 2 cars out of 7 got over). I had no mechanical troubles or punctures despite driving on highway tyres (but I would strongly recommend upgrading to All-Terrain tyres next time as I drove cautiously and acknowledge I was lucky). I dropped tyre pressures to 18psi all round at Little Red and used 4WD High for all the dunes. At Dalhousie hot springs, I increased the tyre pressure to 24psi as corrugations driving into Mt Dare were challenging (10-15kph). I was lightly packed with my wife and I (about 145kgs), slide-out drawers (60kgs), Waeco fridge for the meat, veggies and beer (35kgs), auxiliary battery (13kgs), 30kgs food and clothing, 20kgs of camp oven, 40L water and 3x20L containers of diesel and a full fuel tank (68L). We took a satellite TV so we could watch the AFL grand final - it would have looked crazy as we set up a large tarp in 41C (in the shade) whilst warming up meat pies in a small fire. Thanks for all the great advice on this forum. Look forward to next adventure in this amazing car.
Old 09-10-19
Valued Member

Sounds like you had a good time....unless you were a giants supporter.

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.
Why is lemon juice made with artificial flavouring, and dish washing liquid made with real lemons?

Telegraph X camper
Old 09-10-19

Thanks for the report, sounds like a great trip.

I'm preparing for a Simpson trip in May next year, looking forward to it

Glad to see your fuel usage wasn't too crazy. Have just installed an ARB frontier tank, as I'm already at capacity on the roof without adding another 40kg of diesel! I am planning on taking one 20l jerry can on the roof, but three cans was too much weight with other stuff already going on there.
Old 09-10-19
Super Moderator

Hi Mark,

Glad you had a great and trouble free crossing. Your weights added up to about 400kg so you still had around 200kg before reaching GVM. The 400kg is a good weight for the KCRS-23 to carry off road, anymore and you would have been really using the 5899 rubber cone springs.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Old 10-10-19

May I ask how / where you carried the diesel? Your approach to modifications seems like my own, and I'm currently thinking about fuel for my next trip.
Old 10-10-19
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron.dunn View Post
May I ask how / where you carried the diesel? Your approach to modifications seems like my own, and I'm currently thinking about fuel for my next trip.
With my PB Challenger,
I can carry up to 110 litres of diesel inside the vehicle.7x 10 litre and 2x 20litre plastic jerry's.
2nd row seat gets removed and a custom marine ply side loading 2 piece storage box bolts on to the seat mounting points.
I empty the jerries at night as I need them, and then wash off of any spillage, leave overnight to cool down them tighten caps firmly and replace back inside the car in the morning. No fumes or smells.

When I have not removed the rear seats I have carried 4x 10 litre plastic jerries on my roof rack along with a spare tyre carcass.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
Old 10-10-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Jack View Post
I empty the jerries at night as I need them, and then wash off of any spillage, leave overnight to cool down them tighten caps firmly and replace back inside the car in the morning. No fumes or smells.
OJ.
That's the trick I needed
Old 02-02-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Jack View Post
With my PB Challenger,

I can carry up to 110 litres of diesel inside the vehicle.7x 10 litre and 2x 20litre plastic jerry's.

2nd row seat gets removed and a custom marine ply side loading 2 piece storage box bolts on to the seat mounting points.

When I have not removed the rear seats I have carried 4x 10 litre plastic jerries on my roof rack along with a spare tyre carcass.

OJ.
Hey Old Jack!
Once again I would repect your input as the reason I am here is that in June -July this year, my son and I are doing the simpson and on down through the flinders ranges. He is experienced 4WDer in his very well prepared patrol. I am new to offroad in my NT paj I am now preparing. Got any advice on preparations, specific to Pajero? Parts to take? Items to remove? I may have already done a few of what you suggest. Items I may break-so I can bring item and tools? Dont mean to highjack post but this is the closest info I found. If someone has already gone thru this please point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Old 02-02-20
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewRe View Post
Hey Old Jack!
Once again I would repect your input as the reason I am here is that in June -July this year, my son and I are doing the simpson and on down through the flinders ranges. He is experienced 4WDer in his very well prepared patrol. I am new to offroad in my NT paj I am now preparing. Got any advice on preparations, specific to Pajero? Parts to take? Items to remove? I may have already done a few of what you suggest. Items I may break-so I can bring item and tools? Dont mean to highjack post but this is the closest info I found. If someone has already gone thru this please point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Hi Andrew,

A well maintained stock NT is capable of a Simpson Crossing if it is very lightly loaded and you drive with a high degree of mechanical sympathy.

Weight is your enemy because it reduces your ground clearance and puts huge loads on the suspension and tyre's.

I would suggest you make a list of who and what you are taking and its weight, add these up and if it exceeds 400kg then you really need to look at suspension and tyre's.

What suspension have you on the NT, factory original or aftermarket?
What tyre's are you running and how much tread is on them?
What route across the desert are you planning to take?
How many days will the crossing take?
How much fuel are you intending to carry?
Auto or Manual Trans?
Want mods are accessories are fitted?

OJ.
Old 02-02-20

Hi OJ and thanks heaps for your time and opinions. I have pasted your message below so I can answer everything in turn.
A well maintained stock NT is capable of a Simpson Crossing if it is very lightly loaded and you drive with a high degree of mechanical sympathy.
I always drive pretty gently as 55yo and little to prove . This is good news, and I will be sure to do ALL fluids and makes sure everything is gone over with a fine tooth comb before leaving.

Weight is your enemy because it reduces your ground clearance and puts huge loads on the suspension and tyre's.

I would suggest you make a list of who and what you are taking and its weight, add these up and if it exceeds 400kg then you really need to look at suspension and tyre's.
Thanks again! Yes it will exceed 400kg, but I am running 300kg over springs with a 2 inch lift and by the time I leave will have LT285/70/R17 K02s so hopefully will cope.

What suspension have you on the NT, factory original or aftermarket?
King 300 kg 2"lifted Springs and Tough Dog HD Shocks
What tyre's are you running and how much tread is on them?
New LT285/70/R17 K02s
What route across the desert are you planning to take?
In the process of planning that now. Sons Patrol is extremely well prepared but under powered so will be taken into account too.
How many days will the crossing take?
We plan on allowing 4 weeks but want to spend some time in the flinders ranges too.
How much fuel are you intending to carry?
This is still to be worked out. I will be carrying some for him too as he is close to GVM just by filling his tanks. I would estimate 100 litres at the moment as he will carry the water
Auto or Manual Trans?
Auto, but will fit an Automate before leaving
Want mods are accessories are fitted?
Front-mount HPD intercooler upgrade, Safari Snorkel, Diesel Performance Tune (As intend towing but not on this trip)Catch can. I think that is all the relevant stuff...

OJ