Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-2 Pajero

Generation 4-2 Pajero NT model 2009 - 2011

Old 06-10-16

Default Under body protection plates

I'm wanting to fit underbody protection plates and wondering if others have done this, & what brand etc. Was told that if i did' the motor might overheat,as they cut down on air flow.
Old 06-10-16
Valued Member

I have been running a full set of Bushskinz http://bushskinz4x4.com.au/products/...0&sort=nameAsc on my NT for a couple of years. Bombproof, and haven't seen any increase in temperature including some slow running in very hot weather (45 deg C). Only down side is the weight, but they are super strong and have saved my intercooler, sump, transmission & rear bumper on a number of occasions https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...3&postcount=70

Lots of interesting reading on this thread on the value of underbody protection https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=32882

Cheers,
Stephen
Old 06-10-16

https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=54139

Group buy on now. Get in quick.
I also have have a sump, int, trans, and transfer guard and soon to have rear bar.
I like to think it's more streamlined on the highway to offset the weight. :P
Old 07-10-16

Bushskinz are the thickest and offer the best protection, go with the group buy.
Old 01-05-17

http://www.boosbashplates.com.au/price-list/

Simply the best and cheap

After Market:
ARB Deluxe Bull Bar / Old Man Emu Springs and Shocks / ARB Fridge Freezer / ARB Portable Compressor / ARB Dual Battery Sytem / BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A 275/65/17 Warn Winch 9000lbs / UHF CB / Clarion HD TV, DVD, Reversing Camera, Bluetooth, Sat Nav with Rear Screens / Kingd Awning / Kings Tradies Rack / Kings Led Light Bar

DIY Camper Trailer
Old 01-05-17
Valued Member

I think it depends on the driving you want to do. I opted for Boos bash plates as they were a great price for intercooler, sump and trans - these are 3mm so not as strong as others that are 4mm. After 2+ years I have replaced the intercooler guard with a bushskinz (4mm) one as I had some hits so hard I pushed the Boos one up into the intercooler. I also believe the gradient of the BS I/C guard is better.

So currently I am running Bushskinz Intercooler guard (4mm) and Boos 3mm Sump and Transmission guard. For me the Intercooler takes the biggest hits.

Any aftermarket protection is better than factory.
07 NS DiD GLX Manual, Alloy Bullbar, 2" lift, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, Kumho MT51, Oricom UHF088, Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Airtec Snorkel, Bushskinz Intercooler Guard, Boo's Sump and Tansmission Bash Plates
Old 01-05-17

Wow, didn't realise the massive price differences between boos and bushskinz

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 01-05-17
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicbitter View Post
Wow, didn't realise the massive price differences between boos and bushskinz

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Yep you pay for quality.

I have the complete underside package , including rear bumper protector which is fantastic for mounting trailer plug, reverse light and air valves, as well as protecting the weak rear bumper. Waiting for side steps to be made and posted.

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.
Why is lemon juice made with artificial flavouring, and dish washing liquid made with real lemons?

Telegraph X camper
Old 01-05-17
Valued Member

I'll put my hand (wing?) up as a goose that removed one of my two front Bushskin plates to change oil and din't put it back on and then suffered some expensive repairs to the front diff while off-road.
Stupid.

I'm a HUGE fan of the Bushskinz both in design and after sales service.

www.twigwater.com - My fly fishing blog.

http://www.dsaphoto.com
Old 01-05-17
Valued Member

So you have a good choice of manufacturers...whatever your budget can afford...Boos, Bushskinz, ARD, OL, Iron Man...

Here is a good reason why you buy bash plates...if you do some decent off road driving.

Short story long.

I was beach driving about 8 months ago on a isolated beach in Cape Arnhem NT.. travelling along the beach at low tide...40 to 60kph..nice momentum.

A decent piece of driftwood log, that had been duly buried by the sand, (I did not see it) was just touched by the inside of the drivers front tyre on its end...which flicked up the body of the driftwood log under the vehicle and smashed into my under body bash plates.
I'm talking mm's the other way and I would have missed it completely!!!
Driftwood logs can be bloody tuff and not all of them are baby bum smooth...the one I hit, was 20cm thick and it made one hell of a noise.
This being the case I stopped and checked underneath for damage, so did the convoy, who some had heard and seen the the log hit the underside.
Why I had hit this log, and why the two vehicles travelling in front did not, is one of the great mysteries off roading you will come across.
The log did not break, but had a few deep coughes...slices taken off it from hitting the bash plate..I check the bash plates and underneath...all good.

I hate to think of what would have happened if I did not have that under body protection...$$$$$$