• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jared01
    • Dec 2016
    • Sydney

Creaking sound from within the rear of cabin when towing

Hello,

I have a NW Pajero with Genuine Mitsubishi towbar, old man Emu suspension, air bag man air bags, Bridgestone dueler tyres.

There is a creaking sounds which sound like it is coming from the rear passenger side within the cabin, almost up in the roof corner or wall. It only happens when towing and not all the time, but over bumps etc I suppose when the caravan is moving up and down a little on the tow ball.

Any ideas what could be the issue?
    Has anyone had something similar?

Hard to narrow down where it is coming from but I'm after some advice.

Thank you.

EDIT

Finally found out that it was simply the vertical towbar bolts on the rear passenger side.

I initially tried to tighten then with my 1/2 inch socket set but couldn't.

I investigated further another time and got out my breaker bar, connected a socket extension and managed to tighten them a bit and it fixed the dam problem. So happy now to be able to tow in peace!
    Last edited by jared01; 08-03-18, 08:31 AM.
    2019 Pajero Sport GLS | Factory Alloy Bullbar | BFGoodrich T/A KO2 265/60/18 Tyres | Hayman Reese Towbar | Rhino Roof Racks | Uniden 8060S and AT970BK Twin Aerial | Safari Snorkel
  • NJV6
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2010
    • New Zealand

I get a creaking sound as well. I posted here and got a response to mae sure all the bolts on the towbar were tight.
    Mine were tight but the actual tow ball nut was a bit loose, I still get the creaking but I think mine is the rear taildoor moving slightly as the unibody flexs slightly.
    1994 NJ SWB, 3.5 Manual, 285/75/16 Deegan 38s MT, 25mm body lift, Twin ARB air lockers, XD9000 winch, custom bar.
    1991 NH LWB, 3.9 V8, trayback, solid front axle, Toyota hi mount winch
    2011 NT GLX DiD, 3.2 Manual, 285/65/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, SPV EGR, Lovells SD rear, HD front, Bilsteins, Custom underbody protection, Safari Snorkel, JTig intercooler and loads of zip ties in the dash...

Comment

• _jp_
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2013
      • Adelaide Hills, SA

Check the tailgate, particularly the rubber wedge beneath the latch. Spray a bit of lube on it to see if that's the problem.
      NW GLXR - SOLD
      --------------
      EVO 6 TME

Comment

• jared01
        • Dec 2016
        • Sydney

It sounds like it may be something to do with the rear tail door.

I will check it out and see if there is anything I can lube.

Thanks for the suggestions so far and I will post back with my findings when complete.
        2019 Pajero Sport GLS | Factory Alloy Bullbar | BFGoodrich T/A KO2 265/60/18 Tyres | Hayman Reese Towbar | Rhino Roof Racks | Uniden 8060S and AT970BK Twin Aerial | Safari Snorkel

Comment

• neilo
          • Feb 2008

My NW creaks as well when I tow caravan checked bolts etc but cant find problem. Oh well I guess its a phantom.
          NW diesel auto

Comment

• dhula
            Valued Member
            • Sep 2012
            • South of Perth

I don't tow but get the creaking sound from time to time. I spray a bit of silicone spray around the rear/tail door seal and also some lube (I use lanolin spray) on teh wedge etc and the noise goes away.
            The spray does wear off eventually so I simply spray it again and it's quiet again.
            2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
            2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

• sharkcaver
              "2000"+ Valued Contributor
              • May 2009
              • Perth

Towbar tongue moving in the receiver I'd guess. Mine does it occasionally too. Tighten the anti-rattle bolt a bit more, that tends to solve my creaking.
              MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Faereag
                Valued Member
                • Nov 2009
                • Aberfoyle Park, SA

Jared

I cut a 30mm strip of Velcro down the middle so that it is the width of the trapezoid rubber door insert and stuck it on the rubber top and bottom, so that it meets at the Apex. Add a bit of silicone grease to the tow-ball receiver and re-tighten the lock nut. I tow a 3 tonne van and it has stopped that creaking noise in my NT when towing. Much quieter when not towing as well as it has stopped the door clunck sound from the rubber insert wearing. Cost - almost nothing - door needs a tiny bit firmer action when closing, but not significant.
                Regards

Rory

2010 NT DID Auto Platinum. ARB Bar; 12000lb winch; Light-force 240 spotlights; Bushskinz plates; dual battery with upgraded wiring; Diff breathers; ECU re-tune; 3" exhaust Toyo AT11's; Ultra-gauge and OBD11 dongle; Garmin 52LM; Icom UHF; Craig Davies transmission cooler with fan; raised EHD Lovells coils; Mann & Hummel Catch Can; Bilstein B6's; Firestone airbags; Tekonsha P3 controller; towball capacity 300KG; GVM 3110KG. Sunland Patriot SE van with a few other mods.

Comment

• _jp_
                  Valued Member
                  • Dec 2013
                  • Adelaide Hills, SA

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
                  Towbar tongue moving in the receiver I'd guess. Mine does it occasionally too. Tighten the anti-rattle bolt a bit more, that tends to solve my creaking.
                  I was under the impression the anti-rattle bolt should be loose when towing and is only to be tightened to prevent the tongue rattling when there is nothing being towed.
                  NW GLXR - SOLD
                  --------------
                  EVO 6 TME

Comment

• RUGGA
                    Valued Member
                    • Nov 2014
                    • Adelaide

Originally posted by _jp_ View Post
                    I was under the impression the anti-rattle bolt should be loose when towing and is only to be tightened to prevent the tongue rattling when there is nothing being towed.
                    +1
                    02 NM 3.2, Auto, Exceed, I/C and sump guards, L&B 2" lift, 265/75/16 OPAT2.

Comment

• Faereag
                      Valued Member
                      • Nov 2009
                      • Aberfoyle Park, SA

Have always left it tightened when towing - always feels more stable that way (less movement), but will check with Halls Towing to see if I should be leaving it loose. Some sites say tighten - some say leave loose!
                      Regards

Rory

2010 NT DID Auto Platinum. ARB Bar; 12000lb winch; Light-force 240 spotlights; Bushskinz plates; dual battery with upgraded wiring; Diff breathers; ECU re-tune; 3" exhaust Toyo AT11's; Ultra-gauge and OBD11 dongle; Garmin 52LM; Icom UHF; Craig Davies transmission cooler with fan; raised EHD Lovells coils; Mann & Hummel Catch Can; Bilstein B6's; Firestone airbags; Tekonsha P3 controller; towball capacity 300KG; GVM 3110KG. Sunland Patriot SE van with a few other mods.

Comment

• _jp_
                        Valued Member
                        • Dec 2013
                        • Adelaide Hills, SA

I'm keen to know for sure myself. Looking forward to their reply.
                        NW GLXR - SOLD
                        --------------
                        EVO 6 TME

Comment

• Faereag
                          Valued Member
                          • Nov 2009
                          • Aberfoyle Park, SA

Just looking at some other sites; for example:

Allins Towbars deal with it in oblique manner saying "Generally it means the rattle bolt has been tightened up whilst towing a caravan or heavy trailer, this may crush/flatten the bolt or hitch shaft preventing the bolt from doing its designed function. The anti-rattle bolt is designed to stop your hitch from rattling when it’s not attached to a trailer."

I sent a message to Halls - awaiting their response. But, it appears that the nut should be loose when towing - don't like it, but there it is!
                          Regards

Rory

Comment

• Vman
                            • Sep 2011
                            • Newcastle

Never knew that. If anything mine rattles around more when in tow than without? I only just fitted as bolt as mine was missing - drove me nuts with the box trailer on.

Look forward to the confirmation. I would doubt many would remember to loosen (or be aware) to be honest. You would need to remove to save it vibrating out one would assume also.
                            2012 NW Activ - so much nicer than the old GU Pootrol!

Comment

• Ian H
                              Valued Member
                              • May 2015
                              • Melbourne

Correct. That bolt is only for when the tongue is not under pressure and shouldn't be tight under load. You don't want all that weight on the area of a bolt head!
                              2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X