Clear All
  • geopaj
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Adelaide

Originally posted by _jp_ View Post
    How many KMs have you done?
    Just over 300,000km.

It’s never had a catch can installed and I only got round to installing the EGR mod at 200,00km. However, I did run a can of Liqui Moly Intake Cleaner through about 3 months before I removed manifold. Maybe that stuff really works??
    Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• _jp_
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2013
      • Adelaide Hills, SA

Originally posted by geopaj View Post
      Just over 300,000km.

It’s never had a catch can installed and I only got round to installing the EGR mod at 200,00km. However, I did run a can of Liqui Moly Intake Cleaner through about 3 months before I removed manifold. Maybe that stuff really works??
      That is really interesting, 200000km before the EGR mod. I wonder what else you do that contributes to keeping the manifold clean.

Fuel choice, driving style, oil choice, mechanical sympathy, magic intake cleaner spray?

I remember the snake guy on here (Taipan?) had pictures of his manifold looking super clean too and always wondered what helped him keep it clean.
      NW GLXR - SOLD
      --------------
      EVO 6 TME

Comment

• geopaj
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2007
        • Adelaide

Finally got round to getting and installing one of MM 4X4's awsome Lockup Mate torque converter lockup kits. What an awsome bit of kit!

For anyone interested who is not familiar with MM 4X4's gear https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=58899
        Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Comment

• ticky
          Valued Member
          • Jan 2015
          • Adelaide

Hey Justin,

I agree, M&M's Lockup kit is awesome. Have you done any towing with I yet, that's when it really starts to shine.

Sorry about Friday night, for some reason, I thought it was Saturday night. Have to catch up again soon.

Steve
          2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

• cruisn06
            Valued Member
            • Jan 2011
            • Perth WA

Finally got round to getting and installing one of MM 4X4's awsome Lockup Mate torque converter lockup kits. What an awsome bit of kit!

For anyone interested who is not familiar with MM 4X4's gear https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=58899
            Oh man, I cant rate them enough. I run mine in manual mode all the time. it just drives so nice.
            07 Mitsubishi Pajero Shorty - Currently rolling around... Parked in Armenia for the moment

Insta: https://www.instagram.com/wrongturnadventure/

Comment

• geopaj
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2007
              • Adelaide

A mate and I both love 4wd'ing, camping, and getting 'outdoors'. We got talking and agreed we should do some 'environmental giving back'. To cut a long story short, we liaised with Clean-up Australia and the York Peninsula Council (who formally agreed for us to access the area and covered the dumping cost), and arranged to do a rubbish clean up along a York Peninsula beach.

At the start of the day;

I was somewhat surprised at how much rubbish we collected from just 10km of beach

As well as having a great day of 4wd'ing, we ended up cleaning up 10km of 'pristine beach' - what's better than 4wd'ing AND giving back to the environment.
              Silver NT VRX Di-D

My Build Thread - HERE

Comment

• kblof
                • Apr 2017
                • Radelaide

Thats awesome well done
                2011 NT Pajero| DID

Comment

• aussieintas
                  Valued Member
                  • Feb 2013
                  • Sorell, Tasmania

Nice work
                  2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
                  88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
                  92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
                  92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
                  99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
                  95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
                  08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• geopaj
                    Valued Member
                    • Jul 2007
                    • Adelaide

My wife had a work conference in Canberra so we decided to make it into a family holiday and took the camper trailer. We spent a week in Canberra and also did a detour on the way home and spent a couple of days in the Riverland visiting friends.

As well as the 'usual' touristy stuff, we also spent a couple of days exploring Brindabella National Park, which I'd read forms part of the Alpine Region.

Oh my God! As Adelaidians who'd spent the majority of our time 4wd'ing in coastal or outback/desert regions, we'd never experienced mountains and sheer cliff faces like in this area. (Which I'm sure will make locals and those who go to areas like the high country smile)

At the top of Mt Coree, (where the kids were freaking out and refused to even get out of the car for photos!)
                    Silver NT VRX Di-D

My Build Thread - HERE

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
                      Valued Member
                      • May 2017
                      • Sydney

At the top of Mt Coree, (where the kids were freaking out and refused to even get out of the car for photos!)

Amazing spot. Took my NP up a couple years ago. What a view. We were up there with an electrical storm only minutes away. A bit worrying, didn’t spend as much time up the top as we would’ve liked. But what a view. An ACT Parks Ranger we got to know a little over the years said it’s his favourite spot in ACT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• SONICMASD
                        • Jun 2016
                        • AZ, USA

Research - sway bar disconnects... are they worth it?

After having a play around with a travel ramp at the Loveday SA Forum trip, a few of us in SA have been wondering if sway bar disconnects would be worth while. (Basically, the travel ramp showed that the gen 4s seemed to have limited suspension compression - even with a wheel in the air, the opposite side was not touching the compression bump stop!)

So I did to tests. One 'as is' with the say bars connected, and one with both front & rear sway bars disconnected (left hand link removed).

With sway bars

With sway bars disconnected (compare the body mould line to the top of the front tire)

RESULTS (rear airbags at 0psi);
                        Raw data...
                        (Measurements from hub centre to wheel arch edge - in mm)
                        - At rest - LF 545 - RF 540 -#- LR 545 - RR 535
                        - Full droop - Front 601 -#- Rear 670
                        - Diagonal flex (with s/bar) - LF 482 - RF 589 -#- LR 652 - RR 471
                        - Diagonal flex (without s/bar) - LF 443 - RF 597 -#- LR 655 - RR 460

- Total Articulation (with s/bar)- Front 107 -#- Rear 181,
                        - Total Articulation (without s/bar)- Front 154 -#- Rear 195

SUMMARY
                        FRONT - approx. 50mm more flex with sway bar disconnected (mainly in compression)
                        REAR - minimal different with sway bar disconnected (approx 15mm improvement in compression).

I've worked out how to make sway bar disconnects but, given;
                        1/. I've got a rear locker and the TC mod,
                        2/. Legalities of sway bar disconnects, and
                        3/. The minimal improvement in articulation,
                        I've decided not to bother at this stage.

Hey, sorry to bring this old topic back up from your built but was wondering a couple things from your testing:

1. I see the full droop measurements but am not sure if that was with or without sway bars and if you calculated the difference between the two?

2. With the sway bar removed, as you pointed out, the passenger side front tire gets stuffed up higher into the wheel well as it allows for more compression upwards. I understand the benefit when a wheel can droop more (more articulation downwards) but what benefit would more articulation upwards have on an IFS vehicle? All I can think of is lower center of gravity at that corner / maybe more weight and traction on that wheel?

Thanks!
                        2005 Pajero NP - "Yoshi" - The most detailed Pajero build thread ever.

Comment

• nj swb
                          Resident
                          • Jun 2007
                          • Adelaide

Originally posted by SONICMASD View Post
                          Hey, sorry to bring this old topic back up from your built but was wondering a couple things from your testing:
                          Don't apologise. I believe it's better to revive an old but relevant thread than start again from scratch.

2. With the sway bar removed, as you pointed out, the passenger side front tire gets stuffed up higher into the wheel well as it allows for more compression upwards. I understand the benefit when a wheel can droop more (more articulation downwards) but what benefit would more articulation upwards have on an IFS vehicle? All I can think of is lower center of gravity at that corner / maybe more weight and traction on that wheel?
                          Good question!

It's not immediately obvious, but with less "bump" travel (in articulation), as one front wheel runs out of compression travel it has no choice but to lift the entire front end, which also lifts the opposite front wheel - and potentially lifting it off the ground.

By achieving more compression travel, the wheel that is compressing can lift further before it lifts the front end, meaning the opposite front wheel can stay on the ground for longer.

Try to think of it more in terms of articulation. It's not something for which IFS vehicles are well known, but geopaj did achieve more articulation with his front sway bar disconnected. More articulation = better ability to keep both wheels on the ground.
                          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• old Jack
                            Regular
                            • Jun 2011
                            • Adelaide, South Australia.

More articulation but at the expense of reduction of ground clearance.

It is always s fine balance between wheel travel and ground clearance on independent suspension.

OJ.
                            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                            MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Nab
                              Valued Member
                              • Mar 2012
                              • Perth

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                              More articulation but at the expense of reduction of ground clearance.

It is always s fine balance between wheel travel and ground clearance on independent suspension.

OJ.
                              That bugs me when they compare ground clearance on IFS cars. As soon as the suspension compresses the clearance reduces, so maybe they should measure clearance when suspension is fully compressed!!!
                              SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
                              NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

• geopaj
                                Valued Member
                                • Jul 2007
                                • Adelaide

1. I see the full droop measurements but am not sure if that was with or without sway bars and if you calculated the difference between the two?
                                The full droop measurement was simply how much the suspension travels down with a large jack raising the body high enough for the wheels to leave the ground. By placing the jack under each diff (front & rear separately) it doesn’t matter if the sway bars are attached or not as both sides of the suspension are doing the same action.

Any offroad vehicle, IFS or not will always benefit with more articulation - either up or down - as it means the wheels are on the ground for longer.
                                Basically, in summary, disconnecting the sway bars allows a bit more of both up and down travel in diagonally opposed situations (such as in my test photos).
                                Silver NT VRX Di-D

My Build Thread - HERE

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X