• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DaKaptin
    • Mar 2012
    • Brisbane, Qld

Which winch?

Hi folks,

So im going to take delivery of my new nx exceed soon (yay)

Id love to put the Smart bar on it but gather there isnt much space for many winch models.

So who has which winch installed on their SB's?

I gather the warn XD9000 fits.

Ive read on an arb price catalogue for nx pajeros that 'Zeon 10000 low mount wiches fit.

Ive read here a type of sherpa winch fits (with difficulty)

Are there any others?

Im after specific model number if possible

But most importantly what features makes one winch better than another anyway (other than load rating)?! Its doing my head in looking at all these winches and specifications.

This will be my first time buying a winch and i prefer to not run into winch trouble when i need it as i plan to take the car to many different places throught this great country of ours.

If i cant decide i think i might be better just getting the steel bull bar from arb and just fitting the biggest thing i can afford, and can fit into it.
    Last edited by DaKaptin; 17-12-17, 05:45 PM.
    2017 NX Pajero Exceed with:TJM AIRTEK snorkel, HPD oil catch can, KAON i/c and sump bash plates, BushSkinz Elite transmission and transfer case plates, Boo's rear bumper plate. Stock NW 17" rims with Cooper ST MAXX @ 265/70r17

Wish list: smart Bar or ARB B/B with Carbon 12k winch, +50mm suspension, Eatons front e locker,

Gone: 2004 NP PAJERO EXCEED with 3.8L petrol and 290,000ks of memories
  • MarkAW
    • Aug 2016
    • Point Cook

I have an xd9000. Only ever needed it once in a couple of years. You will need to service it and clean up the clutch if you spend a bit of time in water however it is relatively easy to pull apart and Warn have detailed instructions
    2015 NX Pajero, Smartbar, Warn XD9000 Spydura rope, Toyo Open Country AT2, OME 2" lift, Airtec snorkel, Pioneer Platform, Piranha DBE-SX 180 dual battery, Boo's Bash Plates, Lightforce Striker HID, Kings 2.5 x 2.5 awning, Scangauge2, HPD catch can

Comment

• DaKaptin
      • Mar 2012
      • Brisbane, Qld

A TJM in my area quoted me this for a smart bar:

CARBON WINCH 12000LB SYNTHETIC ROPE $1149 Inc fitting

Aussie owned. 19.5 kg with rope. 12000lbs and water/dust ingress resistant.

The dimensions are: 552 x 160 x 172mm

Similar to the warn xd9000: 55x16x19cm

Sounds too good to be true?

The sherpa mustang is 555x162x155mm but i note there are mounting difficulties with the sherpa.

Anyone with a carbon winch?
      2017 NX Pajero Exceed with:TJM AIRTEK snorkel, HPD oil catch can, KAON i/c and sump bash plates, BushSkinz Elite transmission and transfer case plates, Boo's rear bumper plate. Stock NW 17" rims with Cooper ST MAXX @ 265/70r17

Wish list: smart Bar or ARB B/B with Carbon 12k winch, +50mm suspension, Eatons front e locker,

Gone: 2004 NP PAJERO EXCEED with 3.8L petrol and 290,000ks of memories

Comment

• MarkAW
        • Aug 2016
        • Point Cook

When you need to use a winch you really need it and want it to work. For that reason I have only used Warn and service it even if not used. I would stick with brands know for reliability. Are parts available for the carbon winch you mentioned?
        2015 NX Pajero, Smartbar, Warn XD9000 Spydura rope, Toyo Open Country AT2, OME 2" lift, Airtec snorkel, Pioneer Platform, Piranha DBE-SX 180 dual battery, Boo's Bash Plates, Lightforce Striker HID, Kings 2.5 x 2.5 awning, Scangauge2, HPD catch can

Comment

• DINKY
          • May 2016
          • Traralgon Vic.

MarkAW. Just replaced my rusted out Warn XD9500. I used it then stop 20m cable now wrapped around bull & off to TJM Traralgon. Warn totally corroded out. Fitted new Carbon 12000lb synthetic rope. Had to use Bushman fairlead to get rope close to correct position on drum. ARB delux bar. Big difference in weight on front drives much better. New warns are now water resistant I believe. Carbon at least half price 5 year warranty & similar water resistant. Warn never again. BTW. Very happy with price great service at Tgon TJM

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

• MarkAW
            • Aug 2016
            • Point Cook

What corroded on the Warn Xd9500? After how long? Be interesting to see how the carbon winch goes. Like everything winches need maintenance which is why I regresse once a year, takes at most a couple hours

Comment

• Mundy55
              Valued Member
              • Nov 2015
              • Gold Coast

Being an tight arse, I bought the cheaper Warn Magnum winch several years ago. Never again. A few months after a water crossing, the winch was frozen tight. I removed winch and disassembled same to find there was no seal around the engagement switch on the winch and the internal mild steel components were completely rusted. I spent 2 days scrapping every surface, nook and cranny, repacked in marine grade grease and reinstalled.

In order to avoid that problem in the future, I bought a waterproof draw string bag from a hiking shop and put it over the gearbox end of the winch (where the engagement switch is) and sealed to the round casing with a stainless steel worm drive strap. The bag was loose enough to allow the engagement switch to be used but sealed the winch from water infiltration. Had no problem with the winch thereafter. I also would operate the winch at least every month to move the internal lubricant around and to ensure it would work when I needed it.

Comment

• MarkAW
                • Aug 2016
                • Point Cook

Full on, another rusted Warn winch. I have a few mates that run Warn winches of various models and never had any issues with rust.

Comment

• DINKY
                  • May 2016
                  • Traralgon Vic.

Mark AW

Had the xd9500 serviced 2 years ago after it corroded the electrics then. Run the Carbon a week ago winding up the new rope, I must say it is noisier then the warns I have had over the past 30 years, the wireless remote is a fantastic thing. Carbon to has to be serviced for inspection of the seal and replace if necessary to keep your 5 year warranty. I would say this will take only 30min or so but it is vented and terminates next to diff breathers so chance of water inside winch remote. Sorry mate cant justify the price of a warn, they were the best in the early days but now quality products abound . Mr Warn will need to drop his prices to stay in the winch business I suspect.

Comment

• MarkAW
                    • Aug 2016
                    • Point Cook

Fair call, did you go through salt water or was it fresh that caused the rust?

Comment

• Mundy55
                      Valued Member
                      • Nov 2015
                      • Gold Coast

Originally posted by MarkAW View Post
                      Fair call, did you go through salt water or was it fresh that caused the rust?
                      If you are talking to me, it was fresh water, hot weather, towards end of a long off road day, so winch was hot. I guess it hit the cold water and sucked the water in through the selector switch. I reread the manual which said you have to remove and service the winch after each water crossing. I thought this was a ridiculous requirement and very poor design given the expected usage of the 4wd. So, prevention being better than cure, I came up with the alternative as described.

Comment

• MarkAW
                        • Aug 2016
                        • Point Cook

Originally posted by Mundy55 View Post
                        If you are talking to me, it was fresh water, hot weather, towards end of a long off road day, so winch was hot. I guess it hit the cold water and sucked the water in through the selector switch. I reread the manual which said you have to remove and service the winch after each water crossing. I thought this was a ridiculous requirement and very poor design given the expected usage of the 4wd. So, prevention being better than cure, I came up with the alternative as described.
                        A bit much to be expected to remove and service after each water crossing. I just give the winch a run after being submerged in a water crossing when we get home to dry things out and regrease once a year. Hopefully you have more luck with the Carbon winch.
                        Will be interesting in your feedback after using the winch for a while regarding servicing/rust etc. So far sounds like a decent winch

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X