Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Camping /Caravan Parks/ Campers

Camping /Caravan Parks/ Campers It's all about the great outdoors. What you have and where you stayed.

Old 02-12-17

Default Light weight non attached awning options?

The current weather in Melbourne has me thinking about my touring (no van) setup. I normally live out the back of the car (as you do with a Mitsubishi), with small tent and self inflating camp mat. I'm happy with this setup but it has no cover for inclement weather, and I don't want to install roof racks just for an awning. I'm tempted to buy an instant gazebo but these can be heavy and bulky. Then I saw the Oztrail Hiker Fly - https://www.tentworld.com.au/buy-sale/oztrail-hiker-fly
I know it means mucking around with poles and pegs, but I'd only erect it when really needed. Anyone tried one of these or something similar?
Old 02-12-17

My last car had a roof rack and awning, my current car does not. It's so valuable to have one that you'll forget the cost after your first night of rain, or belter of a hot sun and having somewhere shady to sit/sleep.
Old 02-12-17
Administrator

I've been using a lightweight 3m x 3m "dining canopy" for years. Definitely not as convenient as some of the roof mounted awning solutions I'm resisting, but smaller, lighter & cheaper. And you can leave it set up in a standing-camp situation.

I started with a tarp & four poles, before I found a Jackeroo brand solution that did the job for a number of years. When it finally finally ripped in a storm, I bought a "Spinifex" brand replacement from Anaconda: https://www.anacondastores.com/campi...py/p/90029383?

The Anaconda version uses the same principle, but not as well designed, and has given me trouble since the first trip - but without an alternative, I'm working through the problems and persevering with it. Which reminds me to work on the most recently identified pending trouble. The Jackeroo version occasionally shows up on Gumtree - I should probably keep a closer watch.

It's not the most user-friendly of designs to erect and dismantle, particularly if it's windy, but I've worked out a technique that lets me do it by myself. The bonus is that it's light and compact when packed - specs say 17cm diameter by 630mm long, 7kg rings a bell.

The domed roof likes to invert in the wind - a centre pole is a handy addition, which is one of the solutions I'm still working on for when a suitable length of tree isn't available.

So, a workable alternative, but far from ideal. I occasionally think about one of the larger, heavier and bulkier products, but they are larger, heavier and bulkier.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....
Old 03-12-17

Thanks guys. The dining canopy looks interesting. How is the domed roof supported? You mention is inverts with a bit of wind. What's it like in heavy rain?
Old 03-12-17
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbackogre View Post
Thanks guys. The dining canopy looks interesting. How is the domed roof supported? You mention is inverts with a bit of wind. What's it like in heavy rain?
The domed roof has two flexible fibreglass poles that cross in the middle. The ends of the poles tuck into pockets in the canopy, which forces the poles to bow. There's a tie in the centre of the fabric for tying both poles together, then a series of Velcro loops along each pole to help hold it all in place. But because the poles flex, strong wind can cause it to invert.

I've never had a problem with heavy rain, other than when strong wind blows it in. I have set up a tarp along the windward side to help keep out the rain.

Lately, I've taken to setting it up where I can get the back of the Paj under it. Some of the benefit of a roof-top, and you can drive away & leave it.

As stated, I think it's great for a standing camp, but a bit painful to set up / take down every day in a touring situation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gazebo Talbotville.jpg (87.3 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg 2017-06 Warraweena small.JPG (103.4 KB, 134 views)

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....
Old 03-12-17

Thanks again. That pic of the canopy over the rear of the Paj is exactly what I'd like to do, perhaps with the door of the tent under the canopy so it keeps my whole setup dry. I'll certainly check it out.
Old 03-12-17

We have a Gezebo similar to this BCF one. Only takes a couple of minutes to set up
When folded up it fits in the floor space behind the front seats or on the roof.
Pretty good in high winds.
http://www.bcf.com.au/store/tents-sh...mmaryPurchases
Old 05-12-17

Thanks Boo. Lot's to think about.
Old 06-12-17

Default Light weight awning

Hi Outbackogre,
I have used the Oztrail hiker fly as an awning. I have used two split 32mm HD conduit sections which mount to two sets of 4, 32 mm conduit clips mounted on each side roof rail. Also I have used three Kmart steel tent poles.
The centre tie point on the fly has been modified with an eyelet through the fly and a short tiedown line attached to the existing tiedown tag. This is used in heavy rain with the middle pole swapped in. This prevents ponding.
Parts:
32 mm HD conduit x 4 m cut into 4 pieces $6.60 I/N 4330852 Bunnings
32 mm conduit clips x 8 but carry some spares $0.73 x 4 I/N 4330824 Bunnings
32 mm coupling (joiner) x 1 $0.95 I/N 4330874 Bunnings
Tent poles adjustable x 3 $30
Mounting blocks and cable ties to fix conduit clips to side rails, my design and manufacture.
Oztrail Hiker Fly from Snowys $28

All the components store inside the Paj. within two PVC tubes constructed from 90 mm stormwater pipe with end caps. I had to shorten the tent poles by about 70 mm to fit rear storage area from 2nd row sets folded to rear door.
The 32 mm conduit can also be used to clip mount accessories such as lights.
See other post re rear storage unit https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=59323
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0001.v01.JPG (124.3 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0003.v01.JPG (96.1 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6373.v01.JPG (82.9 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6374.v01.JPG (90.3 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0002.v01.JPG (145.3 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by Pushbike; 06-12-17 at 11:53 AM.
Old 06-12-17

Anaconda have a Dune Quickstop Awning. Looks like light weight cover with suction cups to attach to the roof.

https://www.anacondastores.com/campi...g/p/BP90040784

Personally I use a 4m x 3m poly tarp attached to an extendable aluminium pole along the car side with three adjustable height aluminium poles for the outer edge. Similar set up to Pushbikes only larger and I attach it by shock cord to the cross bars when I want it but could probably be attached to the rails also.

Plenty of room under it for two swags and then some if it's raining. Two outer edges get folder in to centre and the whole thing rolls to the car with tent poles inside then I just tie it tight to stop it flapping.

Not as 'neat' as a bought awning but more practical for my purposes.

2012 PB Challenger LS manual. White, tinted windows, MM towbar, Rhino Aero Sportz Bars, otherwise pretty much bog standard.

Last edited by Lakey; 06-12-17 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Typo