• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

Originally posted by RockRock View Post
    Sorry to be a pain, but is there a seperate transfer for the ECU in the NT? I’m figuring it’s a bit hard for the front switch to tell the ECU anything hint if I don’t have one... thanks again.
    Yes, your NT definitely has a separate ECU for the transfer. That diagram is for a 2009 model, which is the year of my NT.
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• El_Freddo
      Valued Member
      • Nov 2018
      • Bridgewater, Vic

@RockRock - did you compare the drive shafts to see what’s different? I’m keen to know what the exact difference is in the driveshaft that’s apparently shorter.

What I’ve found looking at part numbers on partsouq:
      • NP/NS/NT diff housing is the same open or locked
      • diff output shaft oil seals are the same part numbers
      • outer hub is the same part number for NP and NS
      • only left and right hand side part numbers are listed for the NS and NT -
        No specific driveshaft for the locker is listed anywhere that I can find

So really the only thing that could be different is the spline on the internals of the locker that engage with the driveshaft, I can’t confirm this, but I also can’t find a specific part number for a different driveshaft that’s specific to the locker.

Anyone able to actually confirm the driveshaft is different and possibly provide a part number?

Cheers

Bennie
      2005 NP DiD auto. The family bus. Dual batteries, snorkel, one side step, King Springs lift, Koni shocks, rear airman airbags, Provent catch can, 81L LRA tank (awesome!). Other rides: "Ruby Scoo" my lifted L series Subaru and my "Redback" Targa top Brumby - only mods are 5 poster bullbar and nicer dashboard from a coupe

Comment

• RockRock
        • Feb 2020
        • Bellarine

Yes the driver shaft for the diff with the locker is different. I took them off at a friends garage and left them there. From memory the axles for the locker were slightly wider in diameter. Sorry I don’t have part numbers as I got the diff and axels together from the wreckers.
        Sorry I can’t be more help.

Comment

• El_Freddo
          Valued Member
          • Nov 2018
          • Bridgewater, Vic

Thanks RockRock. That description at least gives me a bit of a lead to follow.

Cheers

Bennie
          2005 NP DiD auto. The family bus. Dual batteries, snorkel, one side step, King Springs lift, Koni shocks, rear airman airbags, Provent catch can, 81L LRA tank (awesome!). Other rides: "Ruby Scoo" my lifted L series Subaru and my "Redback" Targa top Brumby - only mods are 5 poster bullbar and nicer dashboard from a coupe

Comment

• RockRock
            • Feb 2020
            • Bellarine

Originally posted by The_Bat View Post
            Hi,

I'm not sure if this has been covered before or not, if it has I'm happy to simply be directed to the previous thread.

Can you retrofit the Mitsubishi rear diff lock into a Pajero that wasn't delivered with one? In my case I have a base model NT, negative rear diff lock and am just curious if it is possible (in the first instance) and feasible, additionally I wouldn't mind knowing how much of a dick around it would be to give it that factory capability.

Cheers in advance.
            Originally posted by El_Freddo View Post
            Thanks RockRock. That description at least gives me a bit of a lead to follow.

Cheers

Bennie
            Heh Bennie, just chatted with my mate where I pulled the old diff and axels out. The axels for the locker diff were slightly shorter. We were chatting about this, probably so they can interact with the locker mechanism. Hope that's a little more helpful for what to look for.

Comment

• RockRock
              • Feb 2020
              • Bellarine

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
              Yes, your NT definitely has a separate ECU for the transfer. That diagram is for a 2009 model, which is the year of my NT.
              So I am trying to find one of the ECU transfer units. just wondering, do you know where they are located in the car and do you know exactly what they are called or where I could get a part number?
              thanks again.

Comment

• PAJ30
                • Oct 2011
                • Townsville

Ok here are the facts.
                1. Yes you can and it is easy, better then buying and ARB diff lock (not including the air compressor)
                1. You will need the Diff and both Tail shafts. I went from a NW to an NS Gen 4 and thought that only the drivers side needed replacing but I had both shafts just in case
                1. When you are under the donor vehicle grab the little air compressor sits directly above the diff and the wiring loom
                1. Put aside a good day for the change over, you will only need to take off one side and a hub nut off the other but take it all off to make it easier on yourself
                1. Pull the diff out and take the hub nut off the other side saft and pull out
                1. Assemble it all back togther

P.S. Currently I am doing a trigger wire through the orginal harness but not incorporating the Diff Lock ECU but I have an NS. NT and above have the Diff Lock ECU incorparatored in the Trasfer ECU.
                NS Cool Silver 25th Anniversary Edition with family pack. ARB Sahara bar with winch, dual batts, 2inch lift and 275/65R18's BFG Race pipe and HPD can and rear diff lock.

Comment

• cruisn06
                  Valued Member
                  • Jan 2011
                  • Perth WA

So is the compressor just one that runs constant to hold 8 psi? so constant power would be fine?
                  07 Mitsubishi Pajero Shorty - Currently rolling around... Parked in Armenia for the moment

Insta: https://www.instagram.com/wrongturnadventure/

Comment

• NJV6
                    Valued Member
                    • Sep 2010
                    • New Zealand

Originally posted by cruisn06 View Post
                    So is the compressor just one that runs constant to hold 8 psi? so constant power would be fine?
                    Correct.
                    1994 NJ SWB, 3.5 Manual, 285/75/16 Deegan 38s MT, 25mm body lift, Twin ARB air lockers, XD9000 winch, custom bar.
                    1991 NH LWB, 3.9 V8, trayback, solid front axle, Toyota hi mount winch
                    2011 NT GLX DiD, 3.2 Manual, 285/65/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, SPV EGR, Lovells SD rear, HD front, Bilsteins, Custom underbody protection, Safari Snorkel, JTig intercooler and loads of zip ties in the dash...

Comment

• Doely
                      • Feb 2016
                      • newcastle

Ok... I'm interested in doing this too. But mine is petrol NS.
                      Do U need the ecu??? Was hoping to get locker-centre, compressor and switch ... Then hard wire to compressor off a fuse somewhere (10amp???)... Otherwise it's all just nuts and bolts???

Basically is the ecu necessary???

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                        Valued Member
                        • Aug 2016
                        • Greater Sydney

Why not an E locker?

Drive in drive out and total cost could be the same.

Comment

• Doely
                          • Feb 2016
                          • newcastle

Considered that. They are ok, but sometimes unlock if U roll backwards. Can take a few revolutions to engage. But it really is about cost too. If I could pick up oe components and fit up.myself. might get it in for 1k... Maybe less.

They make a huge difference off road. Particularly with the limited wheel travel of pajeros.

Comment

• nj swb
                            Resident
                            • Jun 2007
                            • Adelaide

Originally posted by Doely View Post
                            Considered that. They are ok, but sometimes unlock if U roll backwards. Can take a few revolutions to engage.
                            Unlock, yes. A few revolutions? No. Another internet myth that refuses to die.

Watch this youtube video from Harrop showing what happens inside the diff during a change of direction: https://youtu.be/nT_H6rpd-Ck?t=102

Less than a quarter turn of a wheel before it re-locks - not "a few revolutions".

I'm not saying you should buy a E-Locker, but if you're going to rule it out then you should rule it out for the right reasons.
                            NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Pwoffey
                              Valued Member
                              • Jul 2013
                              • Adelaide

I have the factory rear locker but have fitted a Harrop eLocker to the front. I have used the front locker quite often, never felt it fail to engage or slip out. Maybe that's because of the types of tracks I choose to drive (nothing too hairy) and, especially as it's a front locker, I always make the decision to engage before the climb begins. If it did slip out I haven't felt it and it would certainly not be even one revolution let alone several. It compares very favourably with the factory locker which in my NW often takes quite a while to make up its mind. Also, no potential complications of a compressor and hoses etc. Mate has put a rear eLocker on his Prado, he's also very pleased with its performance. No doubt there are advantages and disadvantages of each of the various types of lockers, but I think the eLocker is a very viable option if it's in your price range.
                              BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni Raid 90 front, Dobinson IMLrear shocks with Kings 34-HD springs front, 35-EHD rear, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads, Mark's 4WD reduction gears

Comment

• Doely
                                • Feb 2016
                                • newcastle

No doubt they are good. But 2.5k fitted, is too much for me.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X