• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TC.Barky
    Valued Member
    • Oct 2011
    • Melbourne

Originally posted by firemanash81 View Post
    Any idea what pait code CZ is the car is white and is an 05 NP also where is the best place to get some touch up paint?
    MM sell touch up paint. I've picked some up before. Just ring them and quote the VIN and they'll let you know if they have it in stock or not. 15-20 bucks for a little vial.
    MY14 NW GLX-R 3.2L Auto Build Thread
    Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.

Comment

• NFT5
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2011
      • Canberra

Mitsubishi really like to confuse the issue when it comes to paint codes.

However, once you decode their system it isn't too bad, especially compared to Ford who have absolutely no idea.

The 2 letter paint code is a factory code and can refer to a specific colour, as with the example of Sophia White a few posts above.

DR though is a factory designation for an OEM multi-tone which is:
      Upper: AC11008 - Pyrenees Black
      Lower: AC10918 - Manhattan Grey

Sometimes the two letter codes are used for different purposes by different factories. So, DR also refers to AC10993 - Alhambre (Warm) Silver.

You should always use the paint code that is on the plate that looks like this:

Usually in the engine compartment, on the firewall, underside of the bonnet or on the radiator support panel.

This will show an abbreviation of the full, two letter, five number code and the secondary colour is stamped on there too. IN OP's case it will show "A08 A18".

Always use these codes when buying paint. For the purposes of touch up paint, where an accurate match isn't that critical, the formula is based on the original OEM standard for that colour, even though that isn't necessarily what is actually produced. In the case of Pyrenees Black, my paint system shows that there are 60 different variants of that colour! Choosing the right one becomes very important when spraying and using a paint system from a major worldwide company who have the staff in every different country to identify the variants and formulate matches becomes really important. The systems in auto parts shops are generally from small, local manufacturers who just don't have those resources and this is part of the reason why their colours are often such a poor match.
      Chris

Comment

• Pickle
        Administrator
        • Jun 2007
        • All over Oz

You really shouldn't have to go any further than this forum for the paint codes. I put them in the FAQ years ago

Dave
        NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
        Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• NFT5
          Valued Member
          • Apr 2011
          • Canberra

Wouldn't have helped with OP's problem though, Dave.

Bit out of date now too.
          Chris

Comment

• birdd
            • Mar 2014
            • Bundaberg, QLD

Where do you find the 3 character paint code on a NT Pajero?

My VIN plate on the firewall says FD for the paint code???
            2008 MY09 Pajero NT GLX
            MM Alloy Bullbar, MM Sidesteps, MM Tow Bar, Bushskinz Intercooler and Sump Guards, Pioneer Platform, Supa-Peg Supa Wing Deluxe 270 Awning, 2x2.5m Kalahari Awning, 23" 144W CREE LED Light bar, Uniden UH8080NB, eBay Reversing Camera, Sony XAV-AX100 6.2" CarPlay/Android Auto Headunit, MM/Milford Cargo Barrier, Torqit Pedal Torq, Dual Battery (CTEK D250S Dual, PowerSonic 120AH AGM)

Comment

• Pajo1
              • Jan 2008
              • Adelaide

Just found this thread however Im wondering what the paint is for the power window switches? they are silver but cant find anything
              2012 NW Platinum Edition, D-id, uhf + more to come

Comment

• aussieintas
                Valued Member
                • Feb 2013
                • Sorell, Tasmania

Mate you wont find a code for interior plastic panels only exterior painted panels.

Best would be to go to a decent paint shop and ask them to try to match as close as possible.
                2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
                88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
                92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
                92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
                99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
                95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
                08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• hinsch
                  Valued Member
                  • Jan 2010
                  • Perth

Originally posted by Pajo1 View Post
                  Just found this thread however Im wondering what the paint is for the power window switches? they are silver but cant find anything
                  I removed all of mine all four doors, went to Repco and found a spray pack (silver metallic DS110) so close you cannot notice the difference, sprayed all of them nobody will ever know.
                  NX 2016 GLS, Graphite, Nudge Bar, Pirelli Scorpion Plus.

Comment

• Pajo1
                    • Jan 2008
                    • Adelaide

Originally posted by hinsch View Post
                    I removed all of mine all four doors, went to Repco and found a spray pack (silver metallic DS110) so close you cannot notice the difference, sprayed all of them nobody will ever know.
                    Cheers, will definitely look into it
                    2012 NW Platinum Edition, D-id, uhf + more to come

Comment

• NFT5
                      Valued Member
                      • Apr 2011
                      • Canberra

Originally posted by Pajo1 View Post
                      Originally posted by aussieintas View Post
                      Mate you wont find a code for interior plastic panels only exterior painted panels.

Best would be to go to a decent paint shop and ask them to try to match as close as possible.

Agreed. Just get it colour matched. Usually, for interior silvers, I use a fine aluminium metallic, sometimes with a touch of black - they're usually fairly easy to match.

One thing, though, is that you should get the correct plastic paint - not what you get in a spray can which goes on much too heavy. To get the right finish you need a small gun with very good atomisation, sometimes an airbrush works best. Proper plastic paint is quite thin and designed to stick to plastics, which normal exterior paints won't do without a primer, which then just adds thickness that you don't want.
                      Chris

Comment

• gemster
                        Valued Member
                        • Aug 2012
                        • Gold Coast

I know We are talking about interior BUT, As I found out the hard way.....There was a change-over to 2 pac for Exterior paint around 2000 ish... I got some 'Sophia White' made up in Acrylic after my little prang and the colour was nowhere near the Factory Sophia White on the Car... The paint shop and I couldn't work out why the 'Recipe' was Different... till I mentioned 2 Pac .....
                        So they made it to an old recipe that was in their books ( not off the computer) that they haven't used for years... and that was pretty spot-on....

Gemster.....
                        YES. ITS A MITZY . 97 NL 3.5 GLS AUTO (Formally owned by geopaj)__ Snorkel ,2 Uniden Uhfs , Roof Console, 2"lift, TT Suspension, Dual bat, Redarc System, BFG KO2's All Terrains, 55L sub tank, Pioneer sound, Milford cargo barrier, Extractors, SS exhaust, Rear camp light, Free Wheel Hubs, Improved Rear Storage unit, Alarm, Led interior lamps...
                        And a 1999 NL LWB... Called 'Project Covid".. Stock Standard.
                        ..Both with No Airbags. We die like real Men

Comment

• NFT5
                          Valued Member
                          • Apr 2011
                          • Canberra

Kinda, Gemster.

Mitsubishi were actually one of the earlier adopters of two pack paint technology, making the change in the late 1980s. Holden were a bit later, they changed with introduction of the VS Commodore. By 2000 almost all manufacturers had switched.

When a colour is first developed a formula is developed for that colour. Unfortunately the factory(ies) can't always maintain consistency so variations of the original colour are made. So, Sophia White from a factory in Japan may not be exactly the same as Sophia White from a factory in Thailand. Variations occur over time, too, as each factory changes suppliers from time to time and the new supplier's interpretation of the colour may be slightly different or perhaps they don't have a metallic or pearl that is a exact match for that from the previous supplier. All the major paint companies then develop variants to cover these changes.

As far as type of paint is concerned there is no difference in colour for a single variant in the different types. So, for example, if I chose a particular variant of Sophia White in my system I could mix that in acrylic, 2K or one of two different base coats which I would then clear over. Although the look of the different paints may be different (gloss level, surface finish etc.) the actual colour should be the same.

A lot of paint shops have developed their own sets of variants to better match local production when they can't find a match that they're happy with off the computer. Sometimes there are actually better matches from completely different manufacturers - for example, I quite regularly get good matches using Tata colours for silvers and various unknown Chinese manufacturers for whites. Part of the reason for this is that those manufacturers have such poor quality control that their colours vary all over the place and one of many variants, by chance, happens to actually match the car that I'm doing. Matching colours is a case of keeping an open mind.
                          Chris

Comment

• gemster
                            Valued Member
                            • Aug 2012
                            • Gold Coast

]Well there you go thanks NFT5 ... he mixed the paint near perfect 3rd, 4th or 5th time anyhow.... It was quite fun saying, try a bit of this, then oops, ok try a bit of that.. Lol.. We had fun on a Friday arvo with a few Drinkies... His shout next time... and I will mix the paint...

The scraps went into his bucket of 'Fordite' he keeps for me... Fordite is a Lapidary term used when painters tip left-over paint in a small bucket, over time this bucket becomes quite full with all sorts of dried colour paint, then I get hold of it and turn it into this... and Jewellery...

Gemster....
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by gemster; 06-11-18, 12:12 AM. Reason: ADD THANKS
                            YES. ITS A MITZY . 97 NL 3.5 GLS AUTO (Formally owned by geopaj)__ Snorkel ,2 Uniden Uhfs , Roof Console, 2"lift, TT Suspension, Dual bat, Redarc System, BFG KO2's All Terrains, 55L sub tank, Pioneer sound, Milford cargo barrier, Extractors, SS exhaust, Rear camp light, Free Wheel Hubs, Improved Rear Storage unit, Alarm, Led interior lamps...
                            And a 1999 NL LWB... Called 'Project Covid".. Stock Standard.
                            ..Both with No Airbags. We die like real Men

Comment

• johndavis125262
                              • Apr 2013
                              • brisbane

It's bad paint I end up pulling mine out cleaned up with metho the got a flat black paint from bunnings over a half day sprayed top and bottom let dry over night I liked the front I pulled the back ones out regards john

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X