• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Exceeded
    • Feb 2017
    • Newcastle/NSW

Clunk from auto box, limp mode and flashing centre diff light

Was towing our caravan, held in 3rd gear whilst going up a hill, and heard a loud clunk and it went into limp mode surrounded by cars and trucks. Not a good scenario. Hazard lights on and tried to pull over on the M1. Stopped the vehicle and restarted it which has seemed to fix it but left the CEL light on . Does anyone have any experience with this issue and any resolution to it
  • BruceandBobbi
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2016
    • Greater Sydney

Code will be a help. If you don't have a scanner call into Supercheap. They will scan it for you.

No idea how much they charge.

Comment

• Exceeded
      • Feb 2017
      • Newcastle/NSW

dont have a code sorry.

Comment

• 4ndy
        • Jun 2018
        • North West United Kingdom

Were you driving in 2 or 4H?
        MY13 (NW) SG2 LWB

Foot Rest, Android Head Unit, EGR Resistor Mod (10k), "Car Shades", Other Stuff in Process....
        My Build Thread.

Comment

• Greg Grey Grumbly
          • Aug 2012
          • Brisbane, Southside

A similar thing happened to me in my old NP while towing where I was going up a hill holding it in fourth from memory and it just died. I pulled over, turned it off and then on and it was OK again.

In my case an overload safety had tripped the auto because I’d held onto fourth too long and lost too much road speed but I didn’t get a light. Sounds similar, but don’t know about the CEL.
          Greg Grey Grumbly

2018 QE Pajero Sport GLS, Factory Accessories: Alloy Bull Bar, Tow Bar, Underbody Protection, Aftermarket: Uniden CB, Redarc Electric Brake Controller, Bushman Cooler, Rhino Roof Bars; Full Tint, OCAM Extendable Tow Mirrors, Fridge Tie Down Racks, Kickass Battery Box with Projecta DC DC charger, King KCRS-23 with the Peddars 5899 bump stops, Almac Boat Loader, Almac Outboard Slide, Provent catch can, More to come
          Tows a 2015 Billabong Grove 186

Comment

• Exceeded
            • Feb 2017
            • Newcastle/NSW

Originally posted by 4ndy View Post
            Were you driving in 2 or 4H?
            2wd on the M1. I know that at sometimes you feel like you are in low range but def in 2wd this time

Comment

• Exceeded
              • Feb 2017
              • Newcastle/NSW

Originally posted by Greg Grey Grumbly View Post
              A similar thing happened to me in my old NP while towing where I was going up a hill holding it in fourth from memory and it just died. I pulled over, turned it off and then on and it was OK again.

In my case an overload safety had tripped the auto because I’d held onto fourth too long and lost too much road speed but I didn’t get a light. Sounds similar, but don’t know about the CEL.
              did you hear a loud clunk too?

Comment

• old Jack
                Regular
                • Jun 2011
                • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by Exceeded View Post
                2wd on the M1. I know that at sometimes you feel like you are in low range but def in 2wd this time
                Can you please explain the above observation more?

Where you using Drive or Sports Shift?

Did the gear display indicator flash on the dash?

OJ.
                2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Exceeded
                  • Feb 2017
                  • Newcastle/NSW

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                  Can you please explain the above observation more?

Where you using Drive or Sports Shift?

Did the gear display indicator flash on the dash?

OJ.
                  you should NEVER tow a caravan in drive. I was in 3rd gear and the light on the dash between the front wheels and the rear wheels (the one that indicates if you are in 2wd 4wd or 4wd low) was flashing the centre diff

Comment

• old Jack
                    Regular
                    • Jun 2011
                    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by Exceeded View Post
                    you should NEVER tow a caravan in drive. I was in 3rd gear and the light on the dash between the front wheels and the rear wheels (the one that indicates if you are in 2wd 4wd or 4wd low) was flashing the centre diff
                    It seems really strange that the centre diff light is flashing but the front wheel indicator lights are off, I would not have thought this was possible, but apparently it is!

The loud clunk and the centre diff light flashing may indicate that for some reason the centre diff has tried to lock, why?

CEL, also a mystery on why this is still ON. If it was a normal limp mode and if you had a CEL it should have reset. Normally the CEL stays ON if they is a problem with engine, if the CEL is ON for other systems ther is normally another light that is also ON, like ASTC. So in the a scene of a fault code I have run out of ideas.

OJ.
                    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• BigAL_250
                      • Oct 2019
                      • Adelaide, SA

Was there a result to this? I just had the same thing happen with essentially all the same observations

Edit: Nevermind, mine was just the intake pipe blowing off.
                      Last edited by BigAL_250; 07-03-21, 01:46 PM. Reason: Issue rectified.
                      2011 NT Pajero GLS 3.2 Auto

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X