X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • demon
    • Jun 2007

Lost spark?

Hi, I have a 89NF 3.0ltr V6. and it suddenly stoppe d going along and seems to have lost all the spark. I have done all the usual checks and suspect the coil, but it is still within the range of readings in the book.
    Some one has suggested it could be the power transistor by the coil, they said it is a common fault as they get older.
    Has any one had this problem , if so where is the best place
    ( price) to get one.
    Cheers Des.
  • Pickle
    Administrator
    • Jun 2007
    • All over Oz

Also check your ECU as they have a habit of crapping out. Capacitors leak and does the job on them.
    Dav
    NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
    Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• demon
      • Jun 2007

Thanks Pickle , I sure hope it,s not in there. Des.

Comment

• Shun
        • Aug 2007

Are there any signs/synptoms prior to an ECU failure due to capacitor's leakage ?

Has a 90 NG; once asked my mechanic if he could change the ECU's capacitors. His comment was " don't fix anything if it is not broken ". Not sure if it is a good advise regarding ECU.

Comment

• mrbitchi
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2007
          • Brisbane

Sounds like the ECU for sure. About $600 for a reco one or you can pull it out and replace the electrolytic capacitors yourself if you're handy with a soldering iron.
          Cheers, John.
          LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
          Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

• demon
            • Jun 2007

Hi, Found the problem , it was the Power transistor. $134.00 for a genuine one , and $86.00 from Repco.
            Thanks for you suggestions
            Cheers Des.
            ps. locally they say it is pretty rare for a ECU to fail??,

Comment

• Pickle
              Administrator
              • Jun 2007
              • All over Oz

Originally posted by demon View Post
              ps. locally they say it is pretty rare for a ECU to fail??,
              Good that you found the problem Des,..... but that last statement
              Dave
              NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
              Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• Para Ordnance
                • Jul 2007

Early model Mitsubishi Pajero, Lancer, Magna, etc + No start or spark = VERY COMMON ECU FAILURE!

I'm sure most of you have seen this site, but for the people who haven't:

Bluehost - Top rated web hosting provider - Free 1 click installs For blogs, shopping carts, and more. Get a free domain name, real NON-outsourced 24/7 support, and superior speed. web hosting provider php hosting cheap web hosting, Web hosting, domain names, front page hosting, email hosting. We offer affordable hosting, web hosting provider business web hosting, ecommerce hosting, unix hosting. Phone support available, Free Domain, and Free Setup.

Comment

• demon
                  • Jun 2007

Hi, thanks for that , I was just wondering if that problem would be more prevelent in a more humid climate, in SA it usually is hot and dry , with a low rainfall.
                  I read the article ( Thanks). do you know of any companies in S.A. ( or interstate) that do the same sort of repair service
                  It would be good to know in advance.
                  Thanks again for your help regards Des.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X