• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yellow_NA
    • Sep 2007

Fuel economy for 2.6L petrol

Hi

I have just purchased a NA SWB with a refreshed 2.6L petrol engine. In the first week that I have owned it I have calculated fuel use at 15L/100km based on odometer reading and refilling the petrol tank.

Is this normal for this engine? The driving was on country roads and I was not pushing it hard as i was at 90-100km/hr for the trip I did.

Any ideas on getting this to a more reasonable level of fuel use? If I can't get it under control my ownership of the little pajero will be short lived.

Thanks for your help.
  • 6G74
    • Jun 2007

Were talkin about a near 2 tonn 20 year old car and you dont think thats reasonable?? I'd say your gettin average if not just better, just wait till you do push it, then its gonna hurt....

"If I can't get it under control my ownership of the little pajero will be short lived."

I surgest you sell and buy a little buzz box that will take you about as far as a dry dirt road, perhaps a suzuki alto or something...

Comment

• Ranger J
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2007
      • Perth, Western Australia

If you are worried about fuel consumption - swap the Paj for a Sierra.

I used to own a Sierra as a DD. $30 a week
      NP GLS DID Auto: ARB Bar, Warn XD9000, Rear ARB Locker, Dobinsons, Bilsteins, 33" BFG MT's, 61Lt Sub Tank, Striker 170's, Dual Batts, etc. etc. etc.

Comment

• cutting it
        • Jun 2007
        • Mandurah

Originally posted by yellow_NA View Post
        Hi

I have just purchased a NA SWB with a refreshed 2.6L petrol engine. In the first week that I have owned it I have calculated fuel use at 15L/100km based on odometer reading and refilling the petrol tank.

Is this normal for this engine? The driving was on country roads and I was not pushing it hard as i was at 90-100km/hr for the trip I did.

Any ideas on getting this to a more reasonable level of fuel use? If I can't get it under control my ownership of the little pajero will be short lived.

Thanks for your help.

Yes, that's about normal... and yes..it will suck more juice when offroad. So, either sell it.. or gas it

Ray

Comment

• alsdid
          • Jul 2007
          • Logan

I have been getting anywhere between 12.6 and 16.6 litres per 100k's.
          On longish trips, sitting on 90-100 kph - 12.6 L/100.
          To and from work daily (10k's each way) up to 16.6 L/100.
          alsDiD
          NP GLX DiD (auto), Kings & Koni's, LT265/75R16 AT3's, OEM bar, Rally 4000's, Custom Side Steps, 60L LRT.
          QF Pajero Sport - EVC Throttle Controller, new, so no fruit yet.
          PB Challenger AKA "money pit" (manual), Kings & OzTec Suspension, LT265/70R17 AT3's, OEM bar, 23" 240W Light bar. Gone to the big car yard in the sky.

Comment

• 2800ITDNM
            • Jun 2007

Are there any accessories fitted to your vehicle. Bullbars, Roofracks and Chunky A/T of M/T tyres all added to fuel used. The poor old 2.6 engine did a good job in its day, but when I traded my old NF (2.6) to a NH (3.0V6) I think the fuel consumption was about the same (maybe better for the V6) Long time ago to remember though! I would say 15l is not abnormal, just a pain in the wallet.
            NM GL Diesel (Tourer)
            NS Pajero (Tar Baby)

Comment

• kcandco
              • Jul 2007

Hi

I went from a 84 2.6 freshly rebuilt engine in a swb to a 97 3.5 v6 lwb and was very surprised to have petrol consumption increase by only 10% town and highway, considering dry weight went from 1500 kilo to 2 t approximately and the v6 gos like a rocket in comparison. I found the swb went absolutely everywhere I was game enough to try, but had a fragile gearbox.

regards Kc

Comment

• syten
                • Sep 2007
                • Redbank QLD

i've been using mine (SWB NE - 2.6 petrol) as a courier vehicle. and so far it's great. the consumption isnt fantastic but it hauls along at the same pace no matter the size of load i can fit in the back.

i'd say i'm gettin through a tank in around 300km's though.

Comment

• mrx78u
                  • Dec 2007

15l/100 sounds about right. Mine got a little better after the EFI conversion, but not much at all.

It's still a guzzler.

Comment

• altech1
                    • Dec 2007

that sounds a lot 15/100. mine uses 13 per 100 and that fully loaded
                    haw dous it run i wood be looking in to that. i know there not the best on fule but 4.2 desel crusers only use 12.5 per 100

Comment

• sno1811
                      • Aug 2007
                      • Melbourne

I changed a couple of things on my 2.6 and found that both fuel economy and hp were better. 1. fitted an xe ford webber, extractors and a 2" exhaust system. dont know exactly what changes are needed for the ford carby, bought mine with the manifold that had been machined for it. on long trips sitting on 100/110kph averaging about 11 kpl.

Cheers

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X