• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BruceandBobbi
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2016
    • Greater Sydney

Looks like MM have really played around with the gearing.

The manual NS diesel 1st is 4.234. Reverse 3.553.

Auto 1st is 3.789. Reverse 3.865. That's with the Jatco box.

Comment

• erad
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2015
      • Cooma NSW

LesB1644:
      My apologies - I thought your car was a manual transmission. I would expect that the auto should easily cope with your demands on it as you reverse up the driveway. Yes - it will get hot, but that is essentially what they are designed to do. Most Pajeros sold these days are autos (you cannot even buy a manual nowadays), so my particular problem is going the way of the dinosaurs.

I still think that it should be possible to meddle with the 12 V supply to the solenoid actuators so that the system thinks it is in 4WD (default position), yet has the solenoid applying vacuum to the actuators so that the front diff is dis-engaged. Problem is that I am not brave enough to try this lest it throw codes which I cannot remove. Maybe something liek a double pole, double throw relay on the solenoid feeds, so that they can be switched over when required without (hopefully) alarming the ECU at the same time?

Comment

• glsgls
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2007

why not just putting the paj in 4 wheel drive, you should be towing in 4 wheel drive any way

Comment

• erad
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2015
          • Cooma NSW

What the OP (and me as well) wants is to be able to go to low range without having the centre diff lock engaged.

Comment

• nj swb
            Resident
            • Jun 2007
            • Adelaide

Have a look at the drawings in this thread: https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=54787

The main shift rail causes the other rails to move via a couple of gears.

Low range is selected by the rail on the left. The centre diff is unlocked & re-locked by the rail on the right.

Even if there was some way to operate the rails individually, the 2wd/4wd rail needs to move to the right before the High/Low rail has room to engage low range.

For 4L unlocked, the right side rail needs to be in the 4H position (unlock the centre diff) so the left rail can move to the 4L position.

I don't believe it's impossible, but it's not easy. The two gears are arranged vertically, and the top end of each axle is retained in a removable plate on the top of the transfer. Somebody clever might be able to make an arrangement to individually drive each gear - but there isn't a lot of room between the transfer and the transmission tunnel. From the factory, Mitsubishi uses some M8 bolts under the centre console that protrude far enough through the retained nuts to strike the switches on top of the transfer. The bolts aren't really long - there's simply not much space.

Alternatively, it may be possible to use the existing actuator to drive the main rail, using the existing arrangement to drive the High/Low rail, then add a second actuator to drive the 2wd/4wd rail (decoupled from the main rail i.e. remove the gear). A separate controller would then be required to coordinate the two separate actuators, and (without thinking about it too much) there may be significant risk in the increased reliance on the switches to know what's going on inside the transfer.
            NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Mike DiD
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2007

Why not force the Front Diff to remain unlocked by modifying the vacuum plumbing or the wires to the Vacuum Control solenoids ? Seems a whole lot easier than any mechanical mod.
              Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

• nj swb
                Resident
                • Jun 2007
                • Adelaide

Originally posted by Mike DiD View Post
                Why not force the Front Diff to remain unlocked by modifying the vacuum plumbing or the wires to the Vacuum Control solenoids ? Seems a whole lot easier than any mechanical mod.
                Yes, we've been discussing that in this thread, but that leaves the vehicle effectively in 2wd - the open front diff isn't driving.

I was discussing this post, immediately before mine:

Originally posted by erad View Post
                What the OP (and me as well) wants is to be able to go to low range without having the centre diff lock engaged.
                Low range 4wd with unlocked centre diff.
                NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Just Cruzin
                  Valued Member
                  • Jul 2014
                  • Pakenham

Not even possible with an old 40 series cruiser.
                  99 NL Exceed with air in tyres

Comment

• nj swb
                    Resident
                    • Jun 2007
                    • Adelaide

Originally posted by Just Cruzin View Post
                    Not even possible with an old 40 series cruiser.
                    Yep - difficult to unlock a diff that isn't there.

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Just Cruzin
                      Valued Member
                      • Jul 2014
                      • Pakenham

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                      Yep - difficult to unlock a diff that isn't there.
                      But the thread title says Stay in 2wd when low range is selected.

Comment

• nj swb
                        Resident
                        • Jun 2007
                        • Adelaide

Originally posted by Just Cruzin View Post
                        But the thread title says Stay in 2wd when low range is selected.
                        Apologies - missed your context. Your post appeared to be replying to this:

Low range 4wd with unlocked centre diff.

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Just Cruzin
                          Valued Member
                          • Jul 2014
                          • Pakenham

Apologies - missed your context. Your post appeared to be replying to this:
                          Sorry, I was a bit vague, the point I was alluding to is it's near, if not impossible to use 4L on a sealed surface, even on old school trucks.
                          I towed full time for 10 years with a 75 cruiser, at one stage the trailer never came off for 3 years. quite often the trailer was at or over the 2500kg limit, and often used 2L reversing just to take it easy on the clutch and drive line.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X