• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SwampFox55
    • Jan 2014
    • Melbourne

Get Yourself an SQL Update for Christmas

Gentlemen,

At the 30,000km service in September my auto MY12 PB had the latest SQL update loaded. After 8000km, most of it towing, I can confirm it has made such a big difference to performance, it’s as though the car has a new engine. It’s noticeably quieter and has improved power, torque and driveability, the transmission is holding lock in 5th better than ever before, fuel consumption is improved and there are no longer any cycling diesel combustion noises at 100kph in 4th – tick, tick, tick! It’s now just as smooth in 4th at 2650rpm, as in 5th at 1950rpm - big difference. Do yourself a favour and get it loaded ASAP, even before the next scheduled service. Call it a Christmas present to yourself.

Cheers,

SwampFox55
    04 Dec 14
    White 2012 PB auto with Mitsy towbar, Smart Bar, CB radio, Philips +100% high-beam bulbs, +60% low-beam, 265 J-Trax ATs, headlight protectors, rear dust deflector, mudflap extensions & ALDI roof racks.
  • littleriver
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2013
    • Queensland

Sql ???

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• old Jack
      Regular
      • Jun 2011
      • Adelaide, South Australia.

ECU software update on normal terms. SQL is standardises query language in the geek world.

COJ (cheers, old Jack.)
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• littleriver
        Valued Member
        • Jan 2013
        • Queensland

Thanks Jack
        2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• m_and_m
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2010
          • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
          ECU software update on normal terms. SQL is standardises query language in the geek world.

COJ (cheers, old Jack.)
          hmm...at risk of exposing my my geekdom, in the geek work doesn't SQL mean Structured Query Language?

Anyway, many moons ago a MMAL service manager touted the SQL. The impression I got from him is it 'adjusts' the ECU to compensate for differing injector performance...as they get older.
          I think it means SeQuence Learn. (I look forward to being corrected though .....to shed my exposed geek )

CM&M
          2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
          2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
          Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• old Jack
            Regular
            • Jun 2011
            • Adelaide, South Australia.

Hi m&m,

A quick check of my with my silent online cyber BF and I found both "standardised & structured as definition of the "S" in SQL and there is absolutely no reason the Mitsubishi's Geeks have not invented their own meaning of "SQL".
            After all there are no ISO Standards for all abbreviations.

Whats the difference between a mechanical engineer and a software engineer?
            When a mechanical engineer gets it wrong it is called a failure and they pay, when a software engineer gets it wrong it is called an upgrade and you pay!

COJ
            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
            MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• TristanNL
              Valued Member
              • May 2013
              • Horsham

Wonder if we are talking about the same thing. As the post above reads the small quantity learning should manage itself somewhat. Also thinking in the service book for the Paj it says inspect sql rather than carry out manual sql.
              2013 NW GLXR (MY14) Auto

Comment

• coughy
                Valued Member
                • May 2014
                • Redlands Brisbane QLD

yes that is the same thing if you had yours back for the service campain it would of been done then as im is much better after the service campain with the new coolant and radiator cap..
                My10 PB XLS ,Opposite lock 3 hoop black bullbar ,HID XRAY200MM Spotlights ,Uniden UHF radio,EGR off,Rear cargo barrier,Turbo Replacment and only 45K,265/70 trail climbers, 26 psi boost and 3" full turbo back custom install exhaust ,hid 35 watt driving low beam,Custom day LED running lights,dual battery kit and wiring ,105amp hour battery , 50 AMP anderson plug front and back ,raised 2" Electric Brake controller.
                New Custom Ultimate diesel tuning REMAP,custom rail limiter.

Comment

• SwampFox55
                  • Jan 2014
                  • Melbourne

I won’t contribute to any of the misinformation floating around about the Challenger engine’s SQL.The fact is the Service Manager told me they do an ‘SQL’ (standardized query language, injector small quantity learn, who knows!) for the injectors at every service and the last version was an update.The program they loaded made the difference to my car’s engine performance.Coincidently, it improved very noticeably, the transmission’s operation in the locking of 5th gear under load (towing), I suspect via a difference in throttle position (demand on the transmission) versus power delivery.When I tried to delve deeper, just as background info for me, I met a brick wall.I expect this is company policy as there is currently a big push from independent mechanics across Australia (ref. Cars Guide a couple of weeks ago) to get access to up to date software from all vehicle manufacturers, so far without success.That keeps us all going back to the Dealers of all brands, for expensive services, if only just to get the latest software updates.One can understand this data is gold for the Dealers. I actually have no issue with this because the manufacturers have spent the big bucks in developing it so they need to recoup their outlay and recover a profit.They’re in business not a benevolent fund, before anyone gets their nickers in a knot.

With regard to the injectors specifically, I had previously suspected it compensated for small variations in wear between individual injectors to bring them all back into line, as for minor variations in the quantity of the squirt.I have a suspicion that cloud point crystals may accelerate wear and this may be uneven across a set of injectors.I thought this, in combination with high cloud point fuels (eg QLD versus VIC or summer versus alpine blends) used in cold weather (even just left out on very cold nights) could be the reason for some brands faring worse than others, eg as per Hilux and Patrols a few years ago.However, this service proved it did much more because it made the engine perform better than ever before; not just taking it back to a baseline, as new.

I bought this car at 14km so I know how it behaved from new and it was never as good as it is today.The effect noticed is quite separate to that of the tappet clearance adjustment which also improves performance, as well as quietening tappet noise, proportional to rpm.Maybe there are some diesel mechanics with the relevant expertise that can elaborate on the specifics of the program but I was told by The Boss, that they ‘know nothing’, they ‘just load what Mitsubishi send them' but, ‘it was an update’. That was the official line, across the counter, to a very happy customer.

Cheers,

SwampFox55
                  05 Dec 14
                  Last edited by SwampFox55; 05-12-14, 08:58 AM. Reason: typos
                  White 2012 PB auto with Mitsy towbar, Smart Bar, CB radio, Philips +100% high-beam bulbs, +60% low-beam, 265 J-Trax ATs, headlight protectors, rear dust deflector, mudflap extensions & ALDI roof racks.

Comment

• m_and_m
                    Valued Member
                    • Mar 2010

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                    Hi m&m,

Whats the difference between a mechanical engineer and a software engineer?
                    When a mechanical engineer gets it wrong it is called a failure and they pay, when a software engineer gets it wrong it is called an upgrade and you pay!

COJ
                    LOL. The software industry is one of the few that allows a product the be delivered which is faulty, but there is no accountability to fix.
                    2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
                    Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• mudguard1
                      • Nov 2012
                      • Sanctuary Point

Thanks for bringing this up swampfox. I just had the 30k service done last fri along with the recall on the overheat and noted was the ECU upgrade . I had not driven the challenger for a couple of days as the better half took the car in and picked it up . A couple of days later she said that the car was running differently and maybe I should drive it and see if all was ok. After clearing the 40KLM / Hr area I put my foot down as I normally would and the bloody thing took of like a rocket and held the gears a lot longer than normal and seems a lot stronger and a little bit growly when using more throttle .
                      Initially I thought something was wrong and was getting ready to head back to dealer , but thought it might be going thr"u a re learn and over the last week it has settled down , or I am just getting used to it.
                      If driving with minimal throttle as we normally do then it seems like before.
                      We wont be towing for a couple of months but will be interesting
                      White 2012, Automatic base model, full alloy front Bar , bonnet protect, headlight protect, rear park sensors, rear dust deflector , 3 tonne tow bar, window tint, floor mats, alloy spare wheel. Tow a 2 tonne poptop caravan with HR load levellers .

Comment

• m_and_m
                        Valued Member
                        • Mar 2010

Swampfox55,
                        You are indeed lucky. Its not often you get an improvement like that for 'free'.
                        Will be interesting to see if others get similar improvements.

Comment

• Tone13
                          • May 2014
                          • Victoria

When was this SQL update released. I had my Challenger serviced about a month ago but have been away since then so not driven it.
                          2012 Challenger XLS (Blue), Factory Nudge Bar, Full Length Bushskinz, OzTec Outback Shocks with Kings Springs (+50mm), Bridgestone Dueller LT697 A/T's, Rhino Aero bars.

Comment

• unknown
                            • Feb 2010

Originally posted by m_and_m View Post
                            LOL. The software industry is one of the few that allows a product the be delivered which is faulty, but there is no accountability to fix.
                            I'd say the automotive industry is the same. They knowingly produce cars with faulty speedo readings! And have no accountability for it! Surely in this day and age some smart monkey can work out an accurate way of determining speed!

Comment

• SwampFox55
                              • Jan 2014
                              • Melbourne

mudguard1,

I think we just get used to the new normal and don’t pay much attention unless things bug-us somehow. In my case I’ve got some comparative data, so there’s no question about the changes:

1. Before the last service, when towing my 1.5T pop-top it would unlock from 5th at around 100kph, with a 10kph headwind or, at the slightest increase in gradient. It used to drive me nuts!
                              2. After the 30,000km service it would tow locked in 5th at 100kph in 30kph headwinds and up 3% gradients. I could actually tow at 116kph indicated (110kph limit) on the Pacific Freeway to Sydney up the lower slopes, locked in 5th. This was just unimaginable before and I’d be shifting all the time on the Hume and Pacific in the past.
                              3. Before the service it would make cycling detonating sounds (5s intervals) clean and towing in 4th at a steady 100kph and was particularly noticeable with cruise set – there was something wrong. I even took the Dealer’s Foreman for a short towing trip with my RV for 50min, last Sep before the service, to demonstrate the sounds. Now clean, it’s like a normal engine, with no cycling combustion noises. I did most of the last RV holiday at steady 100-110kph when on flat ground in 5th , so I can’t say for towing. However, there is no doubt in my mind that there’s been a significant change.

Now, if I hadn’t written these things down, I’d probably have forgotten them with time after the service, even if the improvement in performance was noticed at first. Just human!

m and m,

It wasn’t free. I paid $595 for it, amongst other things.

Cheers,

SwampFox55
                              05 Dec 14

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X