• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fanatico4wd
    • May 2013
    • Melbourne

Shock absorbers

I'm hunting down a shock absorber. Whats the best (and affordable) one out there? I've seen those by Monroe and Terrain Tamer. Anyone used their products?
  • HSV Rangie
    Valued Member
    • Feb 2010
    • Hastings

this should generate many responses and opinions

I use Bilstien, IMO the best going, only shock I have used that does NOT fade under xtreme use.

Koni have similar Rep but I have not used.

OME have a good rep but I found them to fade on my RR.

Rancho the pedders of the shock world dont touch.

most will perform ok for general use, severe corrigations are when the lesser options give grief.

Michael.
    2016 NX,GLS,DID,Auto. Rear DL, ARB deluxe BB, Warn winch, Safari Snorkle, Tow bar, Redarc tow pro, Front door windows tinted, Traxide SC80 dual battery system, Rino roof bars, Icom IC440 UHF, Lovells HD + 50mm springs all round, ????? shocks and struts, Proclip & Strike phone mount.

Comment

• schnitzel
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2009
      • Bendigo

I run ranchos with no issue and am very happy with them ( I run 9000xls, there have been problems with the 5000 series i believe not the 9000's), I also have dobinsons on another one again do the job well.

Another pajero has monroe's and they dont stack up as well but are still satisfactory.
      Current vehicles: 2017 Toyota Hilux, 2022 Hyundai Kona,2022 VW T-Cross1995 3.5l nj Pajero , 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 , 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495,chamberlain g6 plus a few other odds and ends

Comment

• scruffy
        Valued Member
        • Oct 2012
        • Caboolture

Dobinsons are the go. Had them on an 80 series for 5 years + as they were on the veh when I bought it. Towed a 23ft van around Aus and a lot of 4wd driving and they were still good when I sold it. Bob
        98 NL GLS 3500. Now with a Bocar bullbar and 265/75/16 tyres. Waiting for a snorkel and UHF.
        Now with 7" HID

Forget the health food, I need all the preservatives I can get. Alcohol is a preservative isnt it?

Comment

• Aumissions
          • Apr 2010
          • Bunbury, WA

Since you mentioned "affordable." Figure out how much you are able/willing to spend and work from there. I have been shopping for shocks and springs myself and they appear to run in price brackets.
          2004 NP GLS 3.8 Auto, ARB Deluxe Bullbar, O/L Rear Bar, Snorkel, Bilstein/Lovells, Cooper LT AT3, Lightforce 170's, GME TX3340

Comment

• Dusco
            • Nov 2012
            • Bairnsdale 3875

Just put lovells 36mm twin tube in. noticed a big difference from standard shocks.
            Fitted into my price range and what I use the vehicle for good all rounder.
            04 GLS NP 3.2 AUTO Diesel, Safari Snorkel, Dual Battery, 81L Aux Tank, UHF Roof Console, Alloy Bull Bar, Lovell 36mm Nitro Gas Shocks, Lovell HD 50mm Lift, Rear Poly Air Bags, 265/75/16 Falken Wildpeaks, 65L Waeco CFX Fridge/Freezer, Kings Rooftop Tent.

Comment

• Paj man
              Valued Member
              • Mar 2010
              • Perth

I destroyed lovell's and dobinsons shocks on the front of my car - both within 24/18months (respectively) of having them. Monroe's at the rear after nearly 2 years.

I put tough dog's on and while they are stiff on-road, they do quite well off-road.
              1997 NK - Quad cam goodness turning 33 Duratrac's and 4.9 diffs, 2inch lift, steel front/sides/rear, front locker and a winch

Now pending: Nothing

Comment

• NFT5
                Valued Member
                • Apr 2011
                • Canberra

Have a talk to Ultimate Suspension. They can build you a shock absorber that is valved specifically for your vehicle weights, coil rates and driving needs. Bilstein and Koni are good but depend on matching springs and tend to be expensive.
                Chris

Comment

• Kojak
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Huntingdale WA

My NT Pajero (ex rental) was skipping all over the road and felt very unstable (as though it would prefer to be upside down) when just driving down the highway at 100km/h. Couldn't afford big bucks so I bought a set of 4 brand new shockies - manufacturer direct on ebay for $255.

(Model: Pajero. Series: NM NP NS NT NW NX-All versions. 2 Shock Absorbers + 4 steel washers + 4 rubber bushes + 2 steel sleeves + 6 nuts. Make: Mitsubishi. Type: Gas Strut Shock. 1)The price is for one pair.

I recommend them as an economical alternative for a "factory" style shockie. They have a three year warranty and have immediately transformed the drive of my vehicle - feels like new.

NT MY11 Pajero GLS DID, MM nudge bar, Hayman Reese hitch, Oricom UHF, Narva Spots

Comment

• chriso of penrith
                    Valued Member
                    • Apr 2013
                    • emu plains

I just bought this kit this morning and waiting on delivery.
                    You asked value for money. So hands down the lovells combo beats anything for price and quality.
                    I did a lot of research and lovells have a good reputation and are well priced.
                    The money i saved i put towards new strut top plates and new bushes front and rear.

Comment

• Catchin Jack
                      Valued Member
                      • Feb 2012
                      • Central Coast NSW

Dobinsons. Their after sales service is fantastic.

Comment

• Lando
                        Valued Member
                        • May 2013
                        • Lake Maquarie NSW

billies and lovells/dobinsons.....you wont regret it
                        MY14 NW GLX-R

This thing goes freaking everywhere!!

Comment

• Colski
                          • Feb 2011
                          • ACT

wot Lando said....

billies/dobs.....great ride
                          NM 02 Exceed 3.5 V6, Dick Cipek FC-IIs 265/75/16, pacemakers, Bilstein/Dobinsons 2" lift, ARB Steel Bar, Tigerz winch, Narva spotties, side steps, GME TX3100, Tigerz awning, Bushskinz front/sump guards

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X