• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gazza73
    • Aug 2012
    • The Basin, VIC 3154

Challenger LS 2013 preparing for caravanning

We've recently acquired an MY13 (Sept 2012 build) Challenger for on road caravanning with a 12' Gazal poptop, as well as day-to-day driving in suburban Melbourne. Here's a list of the products we installed:

1. "LS" model PC Challenger. Chosen for rear diff-lock, roof bars and climate control.

2. Cosmetic accessories fitted:
    - contoured rubber mats for floor protection in the mud
    - rear rubber (not plastic) 5-seater rear cargo mat to protect spillage
    - rear full sized cargo blind to hide/protect fridge and business cartage
    - bonnet/headlight protectors to save stone damage
    - front door weather shields to enjoy open window driving.

3. After-Market caravanning/communications accessories:
    - UNIDEN UHF 7760 UHF CB radio installed/hidden into centre console (**corrected**)
    (beaut, really small model that has speaker in handset, so easy install - no messing with the dash!)
    - Z-bracket aerial on side fendor, pending TJM bullbar/TigerZ winch later (but may not be needed)
    - 2x direct permanent (un-switched, but fused) 12v 20A feeds into centre console for CB and socket splitter.
    - Socket splitter used for laptop charging, and vehicle GPS tracker, as well as camera charging and phone charging when keys removed.
    - Hayman Reece high fit towbar to avoid our strange driveway issue (we have a aserious 1 : 4.5 inclination to address, with a van!
    - 7-pin traditional towbar socket with fridge switch (movement detection/power shutdown) in van. Enables 12v lighting when needed, with no keys.
    - NAVMAN GPS with lifetime maps on dash, fed from main CIG socket when needed.
    - Waeco beer fridge (not freezer) fits nicely in rear under the cargo blind, on ACC-switched 12V in the rear, avoiding battery overuse.
    - centralised fuses for 2x direct wires, fridge and Prodigy brake circuit - all in the fusebox area.

So, this lot sorts out our caravan towing, trailer towing, COMMS, and computer/camera/mobile/GPS power needs, ready to go exploring OZ.
    (not setup for anything too serious off-road, but will get most places.) Most of this avoids any initial need for dual batteries or bullbars, and makes for simple installation, for those who don't need to fit out their rig for serious off-road use yet.

Very happy caravanner! Photos attached to show wiring/towbar/CB. Many thanks to Hardings Caravans for their professional workmanship!

Gaz
    Attached Files
    Last edited by gazza73; 24-03-13, 05:09 PM.
    Mitsubishi Challenger PB "LS" 2013 MY13 5-seat deisel auto Terra Rosa, for Caravanning/4WD, Uniden 7760 UHF CB, HR Towbar 7-pin. Prodigy2 brakes, (considering TJM Bullbar with TigerZ Winch), COMMS, (8/2/13 buy)
  • Pickle
    Administrator
    • Jun 2007
    • All over Oz

Very nice setup Gary.Towed the van with it yet?
    Dave
    NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
    Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• PeePee
      Valued Member
      • Oct 2012
      • Brisbane

The tongue looks to be quite long, are you sure it is okay, I would hate to see that cause problems for you.
      MY12 LS Challenger (cool silver) - 7 seater with ARB Deluxe Bar, IPF Driving Lights, Safari Snorkel, Stainless Bashplate, Ultimate Suspension Lift, Redarc electric brakes, ERPS, Dual Battery (Redarc DC/DC), Icom UHF, Rhino sports bars / platform, ARB Awning and Mickey Thompson ATZ P3's.

Comment

• DaveXT
        • Mar 2010
        • Melbourne Outer East

looks great. I have the very same towbar except I shortened my adjustable hitch by cutting it and drilling a new hole, should give you even better clearance.

Comment

• 900canoes
          Valued Member
          • May 2008
          • FNQ

Looking good, I like the UHF setup gazza.

Can you show/tell what you have done to your battery +ve terminal?
          I am in the process of putting another lead on for charging the trailer battery on mine but there are already other leads for electric brakes and UHF etc.
          2010 (MY11) PB LS Manual. 2017 LS-U DMax spacecab.

Comment

• gazza73
            • Aug 2012
            • The Basin, VIC 3154

Originally posted by 900canoes View Post
            Looking good, I like the UHF setup gazza.

Can you show/tell what you have done to your battery +ve terminal?
            I am in the process of putting another lead on for charging the trailer battery on mine but there are already other leads for electric brakes and UHF etc.
            answering a couple of questions so far:
            (Note the CB is the UNIDEN 7760 unit with all the speakers on the handset, and nice small unit - sorry, I put wrong model on post originally!)

a) Easter will be the first towing test - stay tuned.

b) LONG 1600kg temporary tongue. Agreed it is long, and needs to be shortened. Ran out of time before Easter to get the van down for setting up my old HR WDL kit, so for the short run we're going up to Rawson/Thomson Dam, we went with the displayed tongue. I reckon it can go up about 50mm too. But we're trialling all the measurements. The trouble I have, is my littel Gazal 12' poptop van is about 450mm (mid-ball height). We got our last solid HR bar docked short too - but allegedly HR would say that is against engineering rules.... so now I'm on the fence thinking about that statement.

c) Wiring on the battery +ve terminal is a small 'L' bracket that goes on the terminal bolt, and the other end of the "L" has a flange to permit about three/four other connections. I actually want to fit another lead to all this. There is a really brilliant MAGNETIC 20A 12V connector made by Hella, which I had on my last truck. It had a 20 cent sized flip-cap covering a +ve/-ve MAGNETIC 'socket' that fitted nicely on the FRONT of the car next to the number plate, with heavy duty leads going to the battery terminals. I then had a portable 240v tricky charger with the corresponding HELLA magnetic PLUG that magnetised to the above.

see: http://www.hella.com/produktion/Hell...OE/MagCode.pdf

The purpose of all this, was to have the car running all night on a 240v trickle charger, keeping the SINGLE ONLY SOLO main car battery fed with power, and then I could leave some gizmos turned on in the car all night without flattening the battery. Using the HELLA jigger meant that if I got forgetful and drove off the next morning, it simply de-magnetised and disconnected. (I've proven THAT issue happens many time backing ot of my garage with this setup!). I'll include a CLOSE up photo of that 'L' shaped bracket. Hardings Caravans Kilsyth are the chaps who did all this nice work for me. I've used them for four cars over 15 years now, and they've always come up with tidy solutions for me!. (AND: No Andrew didn't pay me to say that!)

Gaz
            Attached Files
            Last edited by gazza73; 24-03-13, 05:11 PM.
            Mitsubishi Challenger PB "LS" 2013 MY13 5-seat deisel auto Terra Rosa, for Caravanning/4WD, Uniden 7760 UHF CB, HR Towbar 7-pin. Prodigy2 brakes, (considering TJM Bullbar with TigerZ Winch), COMMS, (8/2/13 buy)

Comment

• gazza73
              • Aug 2012
              • The Basin, VIC 3154

Time for some pictures of the MY13 enjoying towing and some light touring around King Valley, Buffalo River area.

We installed the towbar only a week before Easter and didn't have enough time to take the van back for the fitting of the WDH yet,, which we'll do before towing long distances later this year. Been a while since I towed a van without the distribution chains hitched up - sure makes a difference to the levels and handling, even on our small 12-footer! I wasn't too fussed for the short 500kms up to Rawson/Walhalla area and back over Easter, but it's on the shopping list to get sorted.

i) The van towed a real treat. Didn't know it was on the back, but then it is only 1300 - 1400kg loaded up.
              ii) The really high position of the Hayman towbar is terrific when NOT towing. You really need to do your sums in calculating the DROP-tongue dimensions to end up with a level ball position for sure, but the overall setup is far better than the under slung unit in my opinion when the car is doing most of the off road work.
              iii) With my older styled 6'6" van, I really enjoy the standard mirrors being capable of seeing down both sides of the van, avoiding the need for those blow-away extension mirrors needing installing on/off.

As for touring about some dirt roads, I can make the following observations, as last weekend was the first opportunity to put the Challenger on some good dusty roads.

a) Unlike the lighter suspension of the Sorento I've had for 5 years, the rear end of the Challenger sat really firm and solid on the road.
              b) Travelling over pot holes at 80km/h from Dandongadale to Cheshunt to Whitfield, I felt the Challenger was really in control of the windy roads and gravel.
              c) The downhill automatic down-shift gearing when descending hills around Power's Lookout is a great feature to avoid the need to use brakes - love it.
              d) There are no rattles, and no vibrations or misunderstandings about what the car is doing steering into corners and so forth. I genuinely believe the Challenger is far more sure-footed, even in just 2WD on dirt roads.

Anyway, attached are some piccies! The scenery and driving around the wineries from Rutherglen, down thru Milawa, Myrtleford, with some 4WDing through Buffalo River and then back to King Valley/Mansfield is a top 3-day weekend getaway for sure!

Cheers

Gaz
              Attached Files
              Last edited by gazza73; 12-05-13, 12:22 PM.

Comment

• 02-SR5
                Valued Member
                • Dec 2010
                • Toowoomba

Nice write up.

I did the exact thing with my CB last year using the factory 12v out let tucked under the cup holders.
                MY17 Triton GLX Plus with Mitsubishi Canopy. Keeping it light and simple. 265/70/16 Nitto's, Bilstien shocks, Kings Springs front, Formula leafs rear, ECB nudge bar, Ligjtforce 170's, twin batteries and a ARB fridge.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X