• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by juano86 View Post

MMAL originally said NO as the vehicle was too far out of warranty and that a goodwill claim was only offered to those whom showed "loyalty to the brand" (albeit iv owned the vehicle for over 5yrs now). they also wanted evidence of a full and complete service history. A fully stamped service book and 90% of those services completed by Mitsubishi dealers wasn't good enough, I had to call and email 10yrs worth of dealers and workshops to get actual receipts showing what had physically been carried out. Bizarre, as the airbag wiring system is a non-serviceable and non-perishable critical safety device...

Fed up with that BS, I had a friend who works for the QLD office of fair trading draft me an e-mail and pretty much tear them a new one for saying that just because I hadn't owned a Mitsi in the past the safety of me, my family and other road users was less important to those whom have owned one in the past and id be escalating to the ACCC etc.

Needless to say, an hour later they replied agreeing to fix under goodwill and to call my local dealer to arrange.

This would be making me less likely to want to own another Mitsi in the future if anything... painful amount of work to have this fixed.
    Agree, you should have not had to go through all of this to exercise your legal rights and force MMAL to fulfil their legal responsibilities. MMAL are not the only car importer use the denial and false information strategy to fob a vehicle owner off.
    I would always give it 1 direct approach and then straight to the Office of Fair Trading if I got a pushback.

Well done for not letting the big guy win!

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Kiwi downunder
      • Feb 2014
      • Adelaide

Love it/ great work, adds to the fact they stuffed up at manufacture and will come to the party when pushed/ helps others in future... Unless its a certain dealership here in Adelaide i know of who are rouges.

Comment

• MiteeWidge
        • Mar 2014
        • Townsville

One owner 2012 Pb Challenger with 115 k. SRS airbag light came up last week. Car into to local Townsville Mitsubishi Dealer who charged me $150 to tell me faulty airbag wiring connectors that are also showing signs of corrosion - exactly what I told them when the vehicle was dropped off. MMAL have agreed to a ''goodwill '' claim to rectify the issue. ''Goodwill'' be buggered. This is a known manufacturing fault with both these and MN Tritons. Appears issues first stared occurring back in 2012. Mitsubishi would be or should be well aware that if any of these vehicle were involved in an accident and the airbags failed to deploy there are hundreds of reported / documented cases that would stand up in court and place their backside in a sling. Mitsubishi may like to think their doing you a big favor by calling it a ''goodwill '' gesture but they know full well that that it was a manufacturing fault that warranted a full recall of all these uits.
        2011 Challenger 30th Anniversary Manual , OEM nudge bar , GME 3100 UHF , seat spacers , OEM tow bar , Rydge Ryder Awning , Dueler 265/65/17's , Munji egr , Ultragauge , ABR Sidewinder Flyer dual battery box , TJM Gold 4000 suspension , Plazmaman Intercooler hoses , Stedi ST4K 28'' light bar , 2 Stedi 7'' Type X , Pedders 5899 cones , Provent 200 catch can .

Comment

• old Jack
          Regular
          • Jun 2011

Originally posted by MiteeWidge View Post
          One owner 2012 Pb Challenger with 115 k. SRS airbag light came up last week. Car into to local Townsville Mitsubishi Dealer who charged me $150 to tell me faulty airbag wiring connectors that are also showing signs of corrosion - exactly what I told them when the vehicle was dropped off. MMAL have agreed to a ''goodwill '' claim to rectify the issue. ''Goodwill'' be buggered. This is a known manufacturing fault with both these and MN Tritons. Appears issues first stared occurring back in 2012. Mitsubishi would be or should be well aware that if any of these vehicle were involved in an accident and the airbags failed to deploy there are hundreds of reported / documented cases that would stand up in court and place their backside in a sling. Mitsubishi may like to think their doing you a big favor by calling it a ''goodwill '' gesture but they know full well that that it was a manufacturing fault that warranted a full recall of all these uits.
          Agree 100%, unfortunately you need to "educate" the service department at the dealer.

"Goodwill" is code for, we know we stuffed up and we will begrudgingly fix it but we will not admit liability and we do not want to set a precedent!

OJ.
          2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• DibbyDibbyDJ
            Valued Member
            • Sep 2019
            • Victoria

Originally posted by old Jack View Post

Agree 100%, unfortunately you need to "educate" the service department at the dealer.

"Goodwill" is code for, we know we stuffed up and we will begrudgingly fix it but we will not admit liability and we do not want to set a precedent!

OJ.
            Goodwill is "code" for an out of warranty repair that the manufacturer is covering the cost for. What are they supposed to call it? Make up a random word?

Goodwill is also used to replace the majority of Triton engines that have failed out of warranty.

And goodwill is also used for a repair where a failure has occurred, but the cause cannot be identified, Whilst the vehicle is still covered by the warranty

And the word comes from MMAL, so the service department are just passing on the info.

2024 Outlander

Diamond Technician at Main Dealer

mitsubishi-forums

Comment

• old Jack
              Regular
              • Jun 2011

Originally posted by DibbyDibbyDJ View Post

Goodwill is "code" for an out of warranty repair that the manufacturer is covering the cost for. What are they supposed to call it? Make up a random word?

Goodwill is also used to replace the majority of Triton engines that have failed out of warranty.

And goodwill is also used for a repair where a failure has occurred, but the cause cannot be identified, Whilst the vehicle is still covered by the warranty

And the word comes from MMAL, so the service department are just passing on the info.
              You are correct DDJ, MMAL is ultimately responsible and the dealer service department are the stuck in the middle between an unhappy customer and the MMAL.
              I know some dealer service departments push back on warranty claims because they do not want the hassle with the MMAL.
              Is it still the case that service departments can actually lose money on doing warranty work?

I have no problem with the term "goodwill" being used when it is a goodwill repair but not when MMAL are doing what they are legally responsible for.

In regard to airbag loom faults, this was a manufacturing fault from day 1 and these should be replaced regardless of the vehicles age unless the vehicle has been water damaged inside, it should have been safety recall, they did safety recall on the label on the jack, WTF!

In regard to the engine replacement program. This was a manufacturing fault and as a consumer you have the right to expect a reasonable life from the engine. There are Triton and Challenger owners that had the engines replaced that still had 7+ years and 100,000+ kms left on the original engine and driveline warranty only to be told that the replacement engine was only warrantied for 20,000kms or 1 year what ever occurred first! Is this fair, reasonable or even legal? It certainly is immoral!

We had a 10 year old Honda, always dealer serviced. One service I get a call to say that the rear left wheel bearings need replacing. I ask how much will that cost, "no charge, it is a known problem, and we will change the right wheel bearings at the same time", now that is Customer Service!

OJ.

Comment

• MiteeWidge
                • Mar 2014
                • Townsville

Originally posted by DibbyDibbyDJ View Post

Have to say first up Dibby that I appreciate all your posts and it's always good to have hear from a Mitsubishi service person with some inside running. I'm not out to cane MMAL or their dealers as generally I think their one of the better ones when it comes to honoring warranty claims . What irks me about this though is that if one of my daughters had owned the car and didn't have a clue what that little red person and red balloon mean't , would Mitsubishi been so accommodating ? I think not. It was only when I pushed the matter, because I knew the history surrounding this warning light through forums like this and people such as OJ and yourself , that swayed the argument. I bet my little brown dog that if had been either of my two daughters they would have happily stumped up the cash and drove away none the wiser.
                Last edited by MiteeWidge; 09-01-21, 05:21 AM.
                2011 Challenger 30th Anniversary Manual , OEM nudge bar , GME 3100 UHF , seat spacers , OEM tow bar , Rydge Ryder Awning , Dueler 265/65/17's , Munji egr , Ultragauge , ABR Sidewinder Flyer dual battery box , TJM Gold 4000 suspension , Plazmaman Intercooler hoses , Stedi ST4K 28'' light bar , 2 Stedi 7'' Type X , Pedders 5899 cones , Provent 200 catch can .

Comment

• DibbyDibbyDJ
                  Valued Member
                  • Sep 2019
                  • Victoria

You are correct DDJ, MMAL is ultimately responsible and the dealer service department are the stuck in the middle between an unhappy customer and the MMAL.
                  I know some dealer service departments push back on warranty claims because they do not want the hassle with the MMAL.
                  Is it still the case that service departments can actually lose money on doing warranty work? Not at all

I have no problem with the term "goodwill" being used when it is a goodwill repair but not when MMAL are doing what they are legally responsible for.

In regard to airbag loom faults, this was a manufacturing fault from day 1 and these should be replaced regardless of the vehicles age unless the vehicle has been water damaged inside, it should have been safety recall, they did safety recall on the label on the jack, WTF! Not all vehicles were affected. And some havent played up, and like the recent case, has lasted 8 years without a problem.

In regard to the engine replacement program. This was a manufacturing fault and as a consumer you have the right to expect a reasonable life from the engine. There are Triton and Challenger owners that had the engines replaced that still had 7+ years and 100,000+ kms left on the original engine and driveline warranty only to be told that the replacement engine was only warrantied for 20,000kms or 1 year what ever occurred first! Is this fair, reasonable or even legal? It certainly is immoral! The balance of the vehicles warranty would still be in effect. The 11 year old Triton with 280000 kms on the clock, that I fitted a new engine to this week will only get 20000kms or 1 year, And that was done under warranty. And that vehicle hasnt seen a dealer in years, so that is very good service.

We had a 10 year old Honda, always dealer serviced. One service I get a call to say that the rear left wheel bearings need replacing. I ask how much will that cost, "no charge, it is a known problem, and we will change the right wheel bearings at the same time", now that is Customer Service!

2024 Outlander

Diamond Technician at Main Dealer

mitsubishi-forums

Comment

• MiteeWidge
                    • Mar 2014
                    • Townsville

Floor harness replaced by local dealer last week. Car in at 7:30 out at 13:00. Invoice stated '' poor crimping of harness terminals". All back together neat and tidy. Thanks MMAL.

Comment

• Peebee
                      • Jan 2011
                      • South Fremantle

Well, seems like it's my turn. The air bag light came on last week in my 2012 XLS and it's only done 99,000 and something kms. I rang the dealer that has done all servicing except the most recent and booked it in for a diagnostic check. $160 thanks very much for a little time on the computer. I suppose the arguments will start when they come back with the suggested fix and their charges.

Comment

• artymr2
                        • Jul 2020
                        • WA

On some its just a connection at the airbag ecu where the plug inserts, it sort of walk out a smidge and if loses contact momentarily, its enough to trigger the light. I see you are in freo, I have the scan/reset tool if you want to try its just the plug that needs to be seated fully.

Comment

• Peebee
                          • Jan 2011
                          • South Fremantle

Thanks for the offer artymr2 but it's turned out ok. The computer said that both floor and roof looms need changing and have just heard this week that MMAAL are going to cover the cost. Probably because I was able to demonstrate some knowledge of the issue and what MMAL had been doing for others. Whatever the reason I didn't have to argue or fight my corner so I think we can all be thankful that MMAAL seems to take a more customer-focused approach to fixing issues, even out of warranty. The bill will be just under $1,000 - $22+ for parts and 6 hours labour at some $160 an hour. Just waiting for the parts to arrive now and then will be booked in.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X