• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AndrewF
    • Jun 2011
    • Burwood East

New suspension from Ultimate Suspension

G'day,

Just had a suspension kit from Ultimate Suspension in NSW fitted and thought I'd just share my thoughts.

Firstly dealing with the guys from Ultimate Suspensions was a pleasure, being from Melbourne I couldn't get up there to physically get them to check the vehicle out (weights etc) but providing some basic info about the vehicle, what accessories are fitted or planned to be fitted and my projected usage seemed to give the guys enough info to provide a recommendation, particularly as they've already done other PB Challengers.

My vehicle (a manual PB Challenger) has little mods, just underneath protection (Bush Skinz which are pearlers! Thanks Kieron), snorkel, an under bonnet dual battery kit and will be adding a steel bullbar shortly (not sure on winch or not yet).

From that the recommended setup was:
    Front = Medium rated springs (and matched Aussie Ryder twin-tube struts)
    Rear = Comfort rating springs and matched Aussie Ryder twin-tube shocks.
    Note: Initially I was concerned about using "comfort" rated springs, but after discussing this with the guys I believe the "comfort" springs are actually up to ~100kg heavier than the standard OME springs.

I also included the castor correction kit to try and minimize introduction of any vibration due to increased drive-line angles.

Initially I was expecting the ride to be much firmer and it is, but it is also surprisingly much more comfortable, riding bumps with what seems like much better bounce control and now with no front squat/dive under brakes.

The OEM suspension seemed to suffer from "jarring" over bumps which I assume to be due to poor bounce control or "balance" with the springs. Bearing in mind the front suspension is planned to cater for the weight of a bullbar yet to be added up front, but it's still much more comfortable than the EOM stuff and this is on a car that's less than 12 months old so assumedly the original suspension was still in good nick.

Didn't measure the distance from rim to arch before the fitting (doh!) so don't really know how much the lift ended up being, but can easily tell it's been lifted a fair bit with increased clearance. It's actually a bit of a step up into the car now, lol...

Overall very pleased with the outcome, hoping to try it out on some off-road tracks over this coming long week-end, but certainly already feels so much more planted and controlled on the road, I'm very pleased and can't wait to try it out... I think this will make me feel a lot more confident next time I go up into the Victorian High Country, as the stock suspension didn't provide enough clearance and rocky stuff transmitted quite a bit of shock/jarring through the cabin even at low speeds. Bring on Billy Goat's Bluff etc, that was a blast...

For what it's worth...

Cheers,
    Andrew
    2011 PB manual Challenger, Bushskinz, Dual batteries, 2" Ultimate lift, snorkel, ARB steel Bullbar, BFG 265/75/16 AT's, other bits n bobs.
  • Challenged2010
    • Jul 2010
    • Naracoorte, SA

Great report Andrew
    Some before and after pics would be good if you have them?
    How did you fit the system?
    Approximate overall cost?
    Cheers
    Dave
    Dave
    2010 Silver Challenger LS auto, ARB Deluxe Bar, EDS full length custom bash plates, Airtek Snorkel, Narva 225 broad beam kit with HID conversion, 2" lift with OME suspension, Yokohama Geolandar AT-S 265-65-17

Comment

• AndrewF
      • Jun 2011
      • Burwood East

G'day Dave,

Didn't take any measurements or pic's before, doh... Should have but bloody forgot... The fitment was done by a local tyre place in Oakleigh where Ultimate Suspension have had their products installed previously for Melbourne based customers.

The cost was:
      Parts
      =$1068 - 10% Mitsubishi Club Member discount
      =$960 + $255 Castor Correction Kit
      =$1215 + $80 Freight
      =$1295.

Installation $495

Cheers,
      Andrew
      2011 PB manual Challenger, Bushskinz, Dual batteries, 2" Ultimate lift, snorkel, ARB steel Bullbar, BFG 265/75/16 AT's, other bits n bobs.

Comment

• wasarangie
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2010
        • Ocean Grove

Originally posted by AndrewF View Post
        G'day Dave,

Didn't take any measurements or pic's before, doh... Should have but bloody forgot...
        So punishment for your crime is to return it to the original spec and do it right this time.
        SOLD MY11 PB LS Challenger Manual,

MY18 Ford Ranger Wildtrak, Auto. Smartbar Stealth. Warn 9k winch, Redarc dual battery system. over tub rack system. Minecorp phone mount. Folding Phone and UHF antennae mounts. 9" LED driving lights. Assortment of extras from Tickford.

Comment

• greig
          Valued Member
          • Aug 2010
          • kanwal

I have king springs on mine, but no aftermarket shocks .....

When the finances settle a bit I will be giving them a ring to organise some shocks ( and hoping they will be compatable with the king springs )

Will hopefully tackle the front strut replacement myself ??? after rereading one of the posts here about fitting it !!

It's good when you can talk to a " proper " person and get some expert advice about things !!

Comment

• ScottB
            • Mar 2011
            • Newcastle

Enjoy the new suspension AndrewF. I have had my Ultimate Suspension setup on for 10,000km now and still feel it is a great improvement of stock.

I am currently on holidays down in Melbourne for the first time and the Challenger is running very well. The highway ride with the Ultimate Suspension is very smooth and as you said it handles the bumps a lot smoother than factory. I am heading out the Great Ocean Road in a couple days and will be looking for a little off-road time to test the suspension.

Regards,

ScottB
            2011 PB LS Auto in Ironbark, Reverse Sensors, Dueler 694LT, BushSkinz bash plates, factory towbar. Ultimate Suspension lift.

Comment

• dimmo
              • Mar 2011
              • Radelaide

Originally posted by wasarangie View Post
              So punishment for your crime is to return it to the original spec and do it right this time.
              here's mine (copy pasta from my 4wdaction post)

It's sitting a bit high in the rear - 50 mm higher than the fronts at the moment. I'm planning on getting a rear bar. hopefully it'll level it out a little bit.

Also, here's how it looked 2 days after fitting.

I measured mine from ground to wheel arch. 950 F and 1000 R.

Chapter 2 of my installation 'saga", just found [a while ago now]. I'd noticed a bit of clunking in the rear, so checked for exhaust banging/scuff marks... nope. check the spare tyre's wound up tight... yep. jump up and down on the side step... no noise. heave on the side of the car... clunk clunk. grab the stabiliser bar link... wtf it's barely tight. then check the other one... hang on... they don't look the same. OMFG.

I thought that with the first cockup that, maybe he was just having a bad day. But finding this now, I'm starting to think he's just lazy, careless and/or hopeless.

Comment

• Ballfyboy
                Valued Member
                • Sep 2007
                • Brisbane

dimmo,
                Take a measurement from the bottom of the rim to the underside of the guards. This will then be comparable to others as it removes the tire from the equation.

BTW, your Challenger is looking good!
                NX Pajero with a ARB Frontier LR tank and some semi-big ideas.

Comment

• dimmo
                  • Mar 2011
                  • Radelaide

Originally posted by Ballfyboy View Post
                  dimmo,
                  Take a measurement from the bottom of the rim to the underside of the guards. This will then be comparable to others as it removes the tire from the equation.

BTW, your Challenger is looking good!
                  I've got 16's, so bottom of rim will be different. From centre of hub to brow, front is 575/580, rear is 625/635.

I'm happy with the way it looks. I've just got to find more time to use it now. It's not the most fun car to be driving in peak hour traffic all the time!

I'm heading up to northern Flinders tomorrow morning for a blast around. First time tenting with my 3y.o. too. Hopefully there'll be some mud.

Comment

• AndrewF
                    • Jun 2011
                    • Burwood East

Originally posted by Ballfyboy View Post
                    dimmo,

...!
                    G'day,

For me, it's Front=787 and rear=847... That's from the bottom of the rim to the top of the wheel arch... The back does seem a smidge high but fine with it...

That's with 265/75/17's which I think is an additional 12mm extra profile height over original 265/70/17 tyres...

Cheers,
                    Andrew

EDIT: Wow, you posted while I was typing up my reply... Yours seems to sit up fairly high so I re-measured as I thought I must have stuffed up but but nope... 787 and 847, although I expect it will settle a bit...

Mine's only a few days old and haven't driven any distance yet... Did yours settle down a bit after a bit of driving Dimmo?

Comment

• dimmo
                      • Mar 2011
                      • Radelaide

Originally posted by AndrewF View Post
                      G'day,

For me, it's Front=787 and rear=847... That's from the bottom of the rim to the top of the wheel arch... The back does seem a smidge high but fine with it...

That's with 265/75/17's which I think is an additional 12mm extra profile height over original 265/70/17 tyres...

Cheers,
                      Andrew

EDIT: Wow, you posted while I was typing up my reply... Yours seems to sit up fairly high so I re-measured as I thought I must have stuffed up but but nope... 787 and 847, although I expect it will settle a bit...

Mine's only a few days old and haven't driven any distance yet... Did yours settle down a bit after a bit of driving Dimmo?
                      I've only barely done 1000km on mine. I'll see what happens when I get home Monday night.

Comment

• AndrewF
                        • Jun 2011
                        • Burwood East

G'day,

Yours from centre of rim to brow of wheel arch is front is 575/580, rear is 625/635, whereas mine is about 570 and 635'ish... The rear of mine sits up about 60mm higher than the front whereas your is about 50mm up...

I thought mine sat up a bit at the back... That's with nothing in the back though, so no weight over the rear... A full fridge and camping gear in the back might make it sit down a bit, as the rear springs are "comfort" rating not MD etc...

Comment

• Tappy
                          • Nov 2011
                          • Brisbane

How are folks who have had the Ultimate set up found it after some time? I am looking at doing the suspension on my truck next and I think I have narrowed it down to a kit from Ultimate or a Bilstein/king set up from bushskinz.

I don't tow a van or carry weight in the back other than the hounds or camping gear when the times come. I have an arb delux bar and bushskinz guard on the front with no intention to fit a winch.

I am happy to hear any other suggestions if anyone has them (yes I know asking this question is like the great tyre debates )

Cheers
                          2010 MY11 LS Challenger- Manual in black, ARB Deluxe Bar, Airtec snorkel, Trailboss towbar, Rhino racks with mesh cage, tigerz11 awning & bush engineered Maxtrax mount, GME TX3100, Narva Ultima 175s, Dig Options head unit, Pirelli Scorpion ATR's, BushSkinz intercooler and sump guards, Ultimate Suspension 2.5cm lift kit

Comment

• Drjohn11
                            • Sep 2011
                            • Melbourne

I have the Bilstein King Spring setup from Kieron at BushShinz. Home from 6 week trip to the Cape - lots of corrugations and creek crossings - no problems.
                            NX GLS MY15 Pajero 265 265 17 BFG AT KO2 Bilsteins & Lovells, ARB Bar Airtec Snorkel Runva XP11 Full BushSkinz Underbody Protection and RockSliders, Donaldson Filter, LRA Tank, Icom 450N 75W HID Spots & Lightbar Drifta Drawers MSA Fridge Slide Engel Fridge 110AH Lithium Battery 65L Water Tank Paddle & Lockup-Mate Kimberley Kamper
                            NL 1999 Pajero 3.5L Cargo Barrier UHF Roof Rack. Dual Battery Engel Fridge No Airbags

Comment

• AndrewF
                              • Jun 2011
                              • Burwood East

G'day,

I've got the suspension from Ultimate NSW, fitted locally here in Melbourne...

No issues, although haven't really tested it anywhere properly yet... Have done a small trip for a few days Easter this year up around the snowy river region and was surprised just how much diff the extra 50-60mm clearance made to getting over stuff...

Also was surprised how much more comfortable the ride is on hard surfaces now (such as roads etc), while the suspension feels a lot firmer than stock it also feels a lot more comfortable with reduced "jarring" over sharp/sudden stuff, which I assume is just the quality of valving and matched coils/shocks maybe? Either that or the std stuff is just low quality?

I have the Medium duty on the front (putting a steel ARB deluxe b-bar on this Friday) and standard/comfort rating in the rear as I don't carry much weight in the car, just camping stuff, fridge etc...

I also have the BushSkinz guards and transfer case on mine...

Cheers,
                              Andrew

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X