• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ian Sharpe
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2000
    • Tasmania

Originally posted by SuperYOOT View Post
    The Nissan 3L V6 started its life with Renault and Ford as the 2.7L V6 in the disco and Jag. The new LR 3.0V6 which has VERY similar outputs to the New Nissan donk shares a lot of R&D. This engine was developed between all three manufactures and will continue to evolve.

But still, Mitsu would be a killer car if the Pajero picked up a similar option. Its already a much better car than the Prado and Patrol. THE LC200 is a bit up there with technology and strength but for the price it has to be the worst value car going around at the moment.
    yeah only problem is Mitsu dont seem to use other manufactures motors they build their own.
    NS shorty 3.8l petrol with winch, front/rear E-lockers
    NT shorty 3.2l tdi, pretty stock with rear locker

Comment

• Richo-NT
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2009
      • Brisbane

Yeah as said, its only available on the top of the range model for $75k, Mitsubishi will only worry about it if they introduce it accross the range.

I would consider buying a car like that if I was only interested in towing or light duty touring, something like that, but I'm not interested in a Pathfinder for off roading.
      2009 NT Pajero GLX 3.2 Auto - Sold

Comment

• AJC
        Valued Member
        • Sep 2009
        • ACT

Originally posted by Richo-NT View Post
        Yeah as said, its only available on the top of the range model for $75k, Mitsubishi will only worry about it if they introduce it accross the range.

I would consider buying a car like that if I was only interested in towing or light duty touring, something like that, but I'm not interested in a Pathfinder for off roading.
        Surely a Pathfinder with suitable suspesion / bar work / undergaurds work is a decent vehicle? The Challender blokes seem to like theirs and they are just a wagon on modded Triton chassis and running gear, just like a Pathfinder on Navara chassis / running gear.

The medium size is the biggest turn off for me. I prefer medium large to full size, and i think these medium large to full size wagons designmed as such are better than tarted up one tonners.

Still, thats a stonking engine though...up there with LandRover / BMW / Merc / VW-Audi-Porsche. Only Jap engine to come close is the 200 Series 4.5 twin turbo V8
        Last edited by AJC; 09-11-10, 10:31 PM.
        Gone: 2004 21st Anniversary NP DiD Auto with 215ks, EcoShot diesel gas, bullbar, drive lights, snorkel, UHF, 2nd battery + Redarc isolator & wired for fridge + trailer Anderson plug, Mits 2.5 ton towbar, Lovell 50mm HD springs + shocks + Polyairbags, torque converter lock-up.

Selling some touring kit - see Marketplace

Arrived: 2011 Discovery 4 2.7 TDV6 - The difference is amazing... Paj definitely designed in the 1990s and at a lower price point!

Comment

• Richo-NT
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2009
          • Brisbane

Couple of things really, the wheel travel is not as good as a Pajero, and no where near as good as a Challenger, and the other thing is the strength and durability of the vehicle, it really isn't built for tough conditions, a lot of exposed mechanicals, plastic radiator sits dangerously low, etc etc etc. These are also common problems with the Navara, and there are a lot of deeply unhappy Navara owners out there, but the Navara still has a live axle, the Pathfinder has IRS which is very limited in its wheel travel, the Pajero's IRS at least flexes more then the Pathfinders, and even though the Pajeros front end barely flexes at all, the Navara/Pathfinders flexes even less!

My Dad had an R51 Pathfinder and we took it off road quite a lot, theres a reason why he now has a Pajero.

Comment

• LukeS
            • Mar 2010
            • Brisbane

Originally posted by Richo-NT View Post
            Couple of things really, the wheel travel is not as good as a Pajero, and no where near as good as a Challenger, and the other thing is the strength and durability of the vehicle, it really isn't built for tough conditions, a lot of exposed mechanicals, plastic radiator sits dangerously low, etc etc etc. These are also common problems with the Navara, and there are a lot of deeply unhappy Navara owners out there, but the Navara still has a live axle, the Pathfinder has IRS which is very limited in its wheel travel, the Pajero's IRS at least flexes more then the Pathfinders, and even though the Pajeros front end barely flexes at all, the Navara/Pathfinders flexes even less!
            Agree with this. One thing though I've got a mate with a lifted pathfinder and Ive got to say the traction control is pretty dam good. I've never been a fan, and Im still not in the challenger (thats fine though cause there is diff lock), but the pathfinder's traction control seems to work. Makes a hell of a noise and isnt great to watch, but it seems to get up the hills. Admittingly it dose require more speed, lifts wheels all over the place and belly drags most of the way up the climb, but does seems to get up hills that you'd say it had no chance at..
            Mitsubishi PB Challenger:- Charcoal, 5sp auto, Factory bluetooth, Mickey Thompson ATZ 4 rib 265 70/17, Old Man Emu suspension, Hayman Reece towbar, Custom nudge bar w/lightforce spotties, Custom bash plates, Extended diff breathers, GME TX3100 UHF, ABR Dual battery system, Prodigy P3 brake controller, APT fabrication sliders/steps. Towing: Jayco Hawk Outback

To do: Airtec snorkel, maybe ARB bar...

Comment

• S.Mac
              • Nov 2008
              • Adelaide, SA

i think nissan have a lot of work to do on their basics, simple things like how well they are put together. i think the Kia's and Hyundais are starting to put them to shame!

even with a V6TDI in the pathy i still think the Paj would be a better buy.

Just another note, as mentioned Mits are in bed with Peugot, Nissan are with Renault and Jeep with Daimler - who are Toyfloater in bed with?

Comment

• Richo-NT
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2009
                • Brisbane

Toyota are in bed with themselfs (and Lexus obviously) and are big enough that that is more then enough.

As for any potential new Mitsubishi diesels, the new 4N13 1.8ltr diesel in the ASX is a copletely new generation of diesels made by Mitsubishi which has every bit of hi end tech that the euro's have, plus some, for example its the first diesel in the world to have variable valve timing (MIVEC in this case).

Currently they also have a 4N14 2.2ltr version of the same engine very close to production and there is some talk it may find its way into the Triton / Challenger to replace the 2.5 diesel codenamed 4D56. The 2.5 in the challenger is actually the same 4D56 diesel which dates riiiiiight back to the first and second gen Pajero! Seriously! Mitsubishi originally replaced this engine with the 4M40 2.8 diesel in around 1996 which was then upgraded to 3.2 and renamed 4M41, but they also kept the 4D56 for cheaper vehicle applications such as vans, but recently needing a diesel to plug a gap in their range untill the brand new 2.2 was ready, they essentially re-birthed the old 2.5 by heavily revising it and adding things like common rail etc.

Anyway back to the Pajero, this new technology in the new 4N13 and 4N14 4cyl diesels is very likely to be transfered into the 6B31 V6 configuration currently found in petrol form in the current Outlander, giving us a 3.0 TDV6, which would be awesome, but at this stage its all speculation as Mitsubishi aren't saying boo about it all!

Comment

• S.Mac
                  • Nov 2008
                  • Adelaide, SA

im not 100% sure that the Euro companys make better diesels, a lot of them seem to be more finacky, whereas the Jap made stuff seems pretty reliable

Comment

• Jamesg53
                    • Jun 2009

Having been a mechanic in the uk I would not personally recommend Peugeot or Citro?n diesel engines although they may be more reliable now There was a time when I was replacing 2 or 3 in tank pumps and high pressure pumps a week very common fault ( the pumps would fail and then the whole fuel system would be contaminated with metal filings ) all fuel lines and tank had to be replaced including injectors. They also suffered with dpf problems replacing particulate filters and the fluid used in the dpf is very expensive.
                    2010 Platinum DID Auto, Iron bark, MM rear diff lock, Rhino rack, Foxwing Awning, MM towbar

Comment

• Stevie-Ray
                      Valued Member
                      • Jun 2009
                      • Peakhurst, Sydney

Had to laugh at this...

Found this review while looking for info on the V6TD engine;

& it was a bit hard not to notice the Triton ads!

I was curious to find out whether the V6TD they use is like the VW V6s where there is 12 deg between the 2 rows of cylinders, so they effectively share the same block which has strength & weight benefits, (also this is how it's possible to create a W12 engine).
                      Anyway, they say it's a 65deg V as opposed to the more conventional 60deg, to make it smoother (one drawback with the VW V6s)!

Cheers
                      Last edited by Stevie-Ray; 11-11-10, 09:44 AM.
                      Steve

Runner-Paj; '95 NJ SWB 2.5L TD GL J-Top, low kms Project-Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, also low kms. Donor Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, with some parts & goodies to go onto other GLS.
                      "I try to take life one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me all at once!"

Comment

• Richo-NT
                        Valued Member
                        • Jun 2009
                        • Brisbane

Interesting, it definetly is a clever motor, but I always believed that 65 degrees was the perfect V angle for a V6 for smoothness, surely if 60 degrees was smoother then everyone would be building them like that...

Comment

• AJC
                          Valued Member
                          • Sep 2009
                          • ACT

Originally posted by Stevie-Ray View Post
                          Found this review while looking for info on the V6TD engine;

& it was a bit hard not to notice the Triton ads!

I was curious to find out whether the V6TD they use is like the VW V6s where there is 12 deg between the 2 rows of cylinders, so they effectively share the same block which has strength & weight benefits, (also this is how it's possible to create a W12 engine).
                          Anyway, they say it's a 65deg V as opposed to the more conventional 60deg, to make it smoother (one drawback with the VW V6s)!

Cheers
                          Quote from the articcle..."The new hero model will be a welcome boost for the Pathfinder, which has struggled in medium SUV wagon sales, trailing well behind the more popular and bigger Toyota Prado and Mitsubishi Pajero, as well as the Ford Territory, Holden Captiva and Toyota Kluger soft-roaders. Last year, Nissan sold just 1780 Pathfinders compared to Prado on 13,180 and Kluger on 12,848, while Captiva (11,504), Territory (10,884) and Pajero (5271) were all well ahead.

It has been a similar story in 2010, with VFACTS figures to the end of September showing 1011 Pathfinder sales while Prado still leads with 12,882 followed by Captiva (12,086), Kluger (9399), Territory (8837) and Pajero (5239)."

Why do Aussies use SUV...its a friggin seppos term and it confuses real 4wds (which are diverse enought) with soft roaders (equally diverse). Just like people with real sports cars (light weights like MX5 / Rx7 / 911 don't like hairdresser cars (Celicas etc) / hot hatches (Golf GTI) / hero cars (amyting HSV / FPV) being referred to as a sports car, i can't stand being associated with Klugers / CRVs etc

Yet another Al rant...!
                          Gone: 2004 21st Anniversary NP DiD Auto with 215ks, EcoShot diesel gas, bullbar, drive lights, snorkel, UHF, 2nd battery + Redarc isolator & wired for fridge + trailer Anderson plug, Mits 2.5 ton towbar, Lovell 50mm HD springs + shocks + Polyairbags, torque converter lock-up.

Selling some touring kit - see Marketplace

Arrived: 2011 Discovery 4 2.7 TDV6 - The difference is amazing... Paj definitely designed in the 1990s and at a lower price point!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X