Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Challenger/ Pajero Sport > PB -PC Challenger 2009 - 2014

PB -PC Challenger 2009 - 2014 Covering 2.5 HP diesel

Old 24-09-10

Thanks for the info making my decision much easier. I spoke to a shop that fits Rhino Racks, I am going to go the heavy duty option with 3 cross bars not 2 just for the extra peice of mind the load is being balanced better.

Rhino salesperson at the 4x4 show at Penrith 2 weeks back told me they didnt make a heavy duty bar for this car... I am too going to extend them on one side to fit the ARB awning and hopefully if it fits on the other side a shovel holder.

Have you taken the bars off yet with the roof tent attached? Was it a pain in the ass or not so bad?

Would love to see some pics with your roof tent fitted to the factory rails.

Do you find the rails have much movement with weight on there? I was worried at first as they seem very flimsy.

Cheers
Old 25-09-10

Hi,

Here a picture of our car during its first voyage to Iceland.
Three custom rails supported the tent and a box. Allthough we were to much loaded at that time the roofrails supported the F-roads of the inner country without problem.

Hope this will help you.

Good luck !

Averhamme.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00548 (Custom).JPG (98.0 KB, 97 views)
Pajero 2006, 3.2 Did LWB. Tuned, Blocked EGR, Dual battery system, roof tent, Old Man Emu suspension, aluminium skid plates, 22 inch LED light bar. Iceland, Norway, Balkan, North Africa ... Project: winch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIW2wWWtNaQ (Wet part of F910 bis in Iceland)
Old 27-09-10

What brand roof tents are you guys running on the challengers? I am thinking the 1.4m Hannibal Roof Tent, however am concerned it may look a bit odd as its a fair bit wider than the Challenger. Would like to know what sizes others are running on there Challengers.

Thanks
Old 27-09-10
Valued Member

Pavloh nearly all of the roof tents on the market are the same measurements. ARB, Ironman, Gordigear etc.

1400mm x 1200mm folded. When unfolded they go to 1400mm x 2400mm or if you get the extension models (where the ladder is under the actual tent) these are approx 3200mm long.

If you mount it so the tent folds out to the side of the car, it will be 1200mm wide facing the front. If you orientate it so the tent opens to the rear it will be 1400mm facing the front.

This is based on a standard roof top tent. Hanibal and a few other do supply wider tents if you need to go bigger. The 2400mm x 1400mm (unfolded) is a double size mattress.

I will post up some pics later in the week when i put my tent up again on the roof. Hope this helps.
Old 27-09-10

Thanks for the info Wrex, so you also take the tent on/off the roof? That is my aim with this setup, how do you guys that do this find the process of taking it on/off the car?
Old 27-09-10
Valued Member

Check out some of the pics at the end of this thread...

Its an ARB rack...They fully remove the existing rails and install their own...The rack is still removable...

http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=12410
Old 27-09-10

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavloh View Post
I am looking at these cross bars:

http://www.rhinorack.com.au/Vehicle_...nger_4601.aspx

Weight rated at 80kg, same as the roof rails. 1.4m tent weighs in at 55kg so well under that. They also appear easy to remove so would be able to get the tent on/off quite easily with two people
The rail are rated to 80kg! The tent weighs 55kg! Does that not only leave 25kg for bedding and more importantly humans!
Old 27-09-10

That is dynamic weight when the car is moving etc on the freeway. Stationary weight is much higher than those figures. The ARB rack looks good, however think I will just go with the Rhino HD Cross bars and get 3 of them to distribute the weight better. Cant justify the extra $$ right now for the full replacement racks, and only plan on having the tent on the roof only. The Rhinho sysmtem looks easy enough to take on/off with the tent attached but would feel better getting some more feedback from people who do this and what they think of taking the tent along with the racks in 1 peice off.
Old 27-09-10

Spoken to a few places about the Rhino Racks now, have been told there is no point getting 3 cross bars as the tent can only be mounted onto 2. Can anyone confirm if this is the case I will just get the kit of two cross bars. Thanks
Old 27-09-10
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavloh View Post
Spoken to a few places about the Rhino Racks now, have been told there is no point getting 3 cross bars as the tent can only be mounted onto 2. Can anyone confirm if this is the case I will just get the kit of two cross bars. Thanks
Thats Bulldust.

All roof toppers are supplied with the brackets, screws and bolts for 4 attachment points. You can always source another 2 from Bunnings for your extra cross rail.

These are the type of brackets you get. The 4 brackets in the pic slide into the rails that are attached to the tent. You have 2 of these per mounting point in total 8.

In this pic the piece of flat bar on the bottom of the cross rail are usually too short for the sports/aero bars but are desighned for the square/box section cross rails. A trip to bunnins for some flat bar fixed this to get the wider stance needed.

The only problem I can see with 3 cross rails is if your roof is slightly curved your middle rail will be higher then the other 2 rendering it useless with the roof top tent.

I would only source a 3rd cross rail if your going to use a flat basket/rack and then put your roof top tent on top of that. This will allow you to put other items such as spare tyre, jerry cans etc.

When i take my tent off I store it upright on its side on some foam mats against my carport wall, takes up next to no room. I am fortuanate to have a split level front yard so putting it on my car is still a 2 person job but is very easy as ground level is at the bottom of the cars windows.

If you've got the room, I don't.

Last edited by Wrex; 27-09-10 at 06:10 PM.