• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pavloh
    • Aug 2010
    • Sydney

Auto Gearbox Issues

Was driving offroad a couple of weeks back at Bendathra Valley in NSW. Some very steep hills in and out of there and had some odd experiences with the auto gearbox. Having never driven an auto offroad before I wanted to see if this was normal.

* In Low Range in 1st gear, just letting the car drive itself down a steep hill with some help from the brakes, as the car gained speed and the revs raised I had a few times where it just poped itself back into 2nd gear even though I had the selector set the tiptronic in first gear,

I found this quite disturbing as if not concentrating the gear change caused a big increase in speed going down hill, which is bad news depending on how steep the hill is and not being able to then stop safely...

My question is, is this normal behavior or is this something I should be taking back to be fixed?

Cheers
  • drof
    • Sep 2010
    • South Australia

My 'limited' understanding of the Sport Select mode is that it should hold the gear you've selected, unless you are into the red, and it will then change up to prevent engine damage (excessive revs).

I don't imgine you would have been in the red going down hill though?

Comment

• Marty V
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2008
      • Cranbourne, Vic

I think you'll find that if you go over a certain amount of revs it'll up change...i think its around 3200rpm so you need to manage your speed carefully with your brakes...

Comment

• pavloh
        • Aug 2010
        • Sydney

That is very disappointing not having control of the gearbox in situations where it is very critical to maintaining a low speed.

Comment

• Ranger J
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2007
          • Perth, Western Australia

Originally posted by pavloh View Post
          That is very disappointing not having control of the gearbox in situations where it is very critical to maintaining a low speed.
          Learn to left foot brake, and 'drive' through the brakes on downhill sections. It's a tricky one to master as you want to avoid overheating the brakes by applying too much brake pressure.
          NP GLS DID Auto: ARB Bar, Warn XD9000, Rear ARB Locker, Dobinsons, Bilsteins, 33" BFG MT's, 61Lt Sub Tank, Striker 170's, Dual Batts, etc. etc. etc.

Comment

• carl burgess
            • Sep 2010
            • WA

Yes i have noticed that with the auto, which is another thing they dont tell you, if you put it in manual mode and drive you will notice it changes gear if you rev it hard enough. Also if in manual mode and you try to change down it wont let you go into 2nd untill your engine speed drops, so realy you dont have full control in manual mode, idiot proof i supose but annoying if you are off roading
            2009 MY 10 Challenger 2.5

Comment

• Cadddyman
              • Mar 2010

Originally posted by pavloh View Post
              * In Low Range in 1st gear, just letting the car drive itself down a steep hill with some help from the brakes, as the car gained speed and the revs raised I had a few times where it just poped itself back into 2nd gear even though I had the selector set the tiptronic in first gear
              This is normal and is a disappointment for this gearbox. You do need to manage it with the brakes.
              2010 Challenger XLS

Comment

• LukeS
                • Mar 2010
                • Brisbane

Originally posted by Cadddyman View Post
                This is normal and is a disappointment for this gearbox. You do need to manage it with the brakes.
                Strange, I have done a fair bit of off roading now in the challenger and have not noticed this.. maybe its my driving style using the brakes more the normal..
                Mitsubishi PB Challenger:- Charcoal, 5sp auto, Factory bluetooth, Mickey Thompson ATZ 4 rib 265 70/17, Old Man Emu suspension, Hayman Reece towbar, Custom nudge bar w/lightforce spotties, Custom bash plates, Extended diff breathers, GME TX3100 UHF, ABR Dual battery system, Prodigy P3 brake controller, APT fabrication sliders/steps. Towing: Jayco Hawk Outback

To do: Airtec snorkel, maybe ARB bar...

Comment

• Ranger J
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2007
                  • Perth, Western Australia

Originally posted by carl burgess View Post
                  Yes i have noticed that with the auto, which is another thing they dont tell you, if you put it in manual mode and drive you will notice it changes gear if you rev it hard enough. Also if in manual mode and you try to change down it wont let you go into 2nd untill your engine speed drops, so realy you dont have full control in manual mode, idiot proof i supose but annoying if you are off roading
                  Guys, these measures are in place so that you don't destroy the gearbox. They are really not that interfering if you drive the car correctly.

-You shouldn't be revving the crap out of a diesel anyway (no power in the top end)
                  -You will have to use the brakes more downhill to ensure the vehicle doesn't run away - all automatics do this.
                  NP GLS DID Auto: ARB Bar, Warn XD9000, Rear ARB Locker, Dobinsons, Bilsteins, 33" BFG MT's, 61Lt Sub Tank, Striker 170's, Dual Batts, etc. etc. etc.

Comment

• wasarangie
                    Valued Member
                    • Jul 2010
                    • Ocean Grove

Originally posted by Ranger J View Post
                    all automatics do this.
                    I agree with this comment. All autos I have driven do this, some more exotic "sports" cars hold a gear but in general autos "Know better". The
                    Manufacturers need to get them to survive the warranty.
                    SOLD MY11 PB LS Challenger Manual,

MY18 Ford Ranger Wildtrak, Auto. Smartbar Stealth. Warn 9k winch, Redarc dual battery system. over tub rack system. Minecorp phone mount. Folding Phone and UHF antennae mounts. 9" LED driving lights. Assortment of extras from Tickford.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X