• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • onair
    • Jun 2020
    • Victoria

UHF/VHF Radio Body - Where to mount for accessibility

Hi,

I've spent hours looking around the car and I'm stumped - and was hoping that some people here may have a good idea on what I can do.

I'm wanting to mount a dual band radio in my car. It comes with a separate screen, and I've got that part sorted out (will use a goose neck connected to one of the bolts that hold the passenger seat down).

What I'm struggling with is finding a location for the actual radio body. The problem I have is that I need a location where it's easy to access. (The radio body has data link ports that I will be plugging wires in and out of occasionally, and also a SD card).

I'm coming from commodore cars (where doing anything with a panel was a royal pain in the proverbial), so I don't know if the Pajero has easier to access places. (Places that would take me less than 5 minutes as a noob to access if needed, and zero risk for a noob like myself to break anything), Keep in mind this will be a repeat operation (maybe once a month) - so if there are places that clip in where the clips will wear easily - might not be good.

The body itself will need:

Width: 155mm
    Length: 170mm (Prefer 180mm with one side easilly accessible for inserting cables, etc). Cables go in at both ends.
    Height: 70mm

I have tried under the front seats which would have been the ideal location, but it seems like the body is just that little bit too high.

I guess what I'm looking for is a easy to get, and out of the way (preferably hidden) location to mount it.

I have no idea what cavities are in the NX and whether there is some easy to access ones that might do the job, and was just wondering if anyone had some ideas please?

Thanks in advance

Adam.
    Last edited by onair; 25-06-20, 03:59 PM.
  • Two Emms
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2020
    • Mansfield, Vic

One spot might be under the trim below the steering wheel. There's a bit of room there but not sure if its enough.

Can't think of any other hidden cavities unfortunately. Try searching on here for "card holder removal" The spot where the STUPID credit card holder is located is often modified and may suit your needs.

As you will probably end up pulling some (or all!) of the dash out to initially wire your radio in, check out 'Denmonkey" (he is a member here and his vids should be compulsory viewing) on Youtube for dash removal. I will try to attach the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C7TFUrhZDM

So much easier to understand when you can see it done. And the red plastic tools he uses from supacheap are bloody fantastic.
    Last edited by Two Emms; 25-06-20, 05:22 PM.
    2016 NX GLS Factory alloy bar, Provent 200 catch can, Boos bash plates (full set), Stedi light bar, 40 litre Waeco, Titan fridge slide, Kings springs, Toyo Open Country AT3s, Auto-mate, Ultragauge, Uniden 8080s, Tanami x11, more to come...

Comment

• onair
      • Jun 2020
      • Victoria

Originally posted by Two Emms View Post
      One spot might be under the trim below the steering wheel. There's a bit of room there but not sure if its enough.

Can't think of any other hidden cavities unfortunately. Try searching on here for "card holder removal" The spot where the STUPID credit card holder is located is often modified and may suit your needs.

As you will probably end up pulling some (or all!) of the dash out to initially wire your radio in, check out 'Denmonkey" (he is a member here and his vids should be compulsory viewing) on Youtube for dash removal. I will try to attach the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C7TFUrhZDM

So much easier to understand when you can see it done. And the red plastic tools he uses from supacheap are bloody fantastic.
      Thanks very much for that link. It gives me a few ideas of what's behind where.

At this stage I'm considering taking out the rear seats and mounting it way back there. I don't know how I'd run the cables and would much prefer to have the unit up front (my wife isn't keen on me taking out the seats) - but if I can't find anything else...

Comment

• Two Emms
        Valued Member
        • Jan 2020
        • Mansfield, Vic

If you are thinking of putting it in the back, maybe the rectangular pocket on the passenger side at the back might work.

You can run any wiring down that side by popping up the plastic sill panels. Then feed the cable up under the plastic panel inside the back door so that it ends up sort of under the cup holder in the back. Drill a hole for the cable in the bottom of the pocket. Now the awkward part, take the trim off that covers the pivot pin on the third row seats. To feed the cable up through the hole you just jam your hand in there to access the hole (and cable). Much easier if the seats are out for this part. I have done this to get power to the fridge in the back. Denmonkey has a video of installing a compressor in the back which might give you some clues.

If you can fit the radio in this spot, it's accessible and the third row seats can stay

Even if you don't put the radio in this spot, running the cable along the sill is a good way of getting wiring to the back. The bonus is that this puts the front end of the cable in the passenger footwell right where there is access to the engine bay on the same side as the battery. Real easy to access the inside of the dash from here as well.

Just a hint. That pocket in the back looks like it should pop out. It doesn't Part of the cupholder does but it's not enough to help much.
        2016 NX GLS Factory alloy bar, Provent 200 catch can, Boos bash plates (full set), Stedi light bar, 40 litre Waeco, Titan fridge slide, Kings springs, Toyo Open Country AT3s, Auto-mate, Ultragauge, Uniden 8080s, Tanami x11, more to come...

Comment

• Two Emms
          Valued Member
          • Jan 2020
          • Mansfield, Vic

And.

The power supply socket in the back has given many people here grief. Apparently it's easily blown and the fuse is on the back of the socket so it's removal of the trim to fix it.

I wouldn't even consider using it as a supply.

Comment

• Old Paj
            Pajero Club Life Member
            • Jun 2007
            • Heathcote, Vic

For ready access and ease of fitting, perhaps consider under either driver or front passenger seats.

Still need to run 12V to the location, but can be done from an active 12V circuit eg. from the back of the cig lighter in the console.

If in the back, perhaps consider remote access plugs and put it in behind the side panels

To me the greater issue is for the antenna. I am currently looking at fitting a tri-band and locations for it.
            Last edited by Old Paj; 25-06-20, 09:13 PM. Reason: add additional thoughts
            NX Pajero, Duel Batteries (under bonnet), Factory Nudge Bar, Kings Springs, Bilstein Shocks, TowPro Elite, Icom IC-450, Cooper ST-Maxx Tyres (off road), AutoMate, towing 2015 Vista Crossover XL.

Comment

• Turorit
              • Oct 2016
              • Adelaide

How about on top of the trans tunnel next to drivers foot rest? I've fit the body for my IC208h and my Uh8060 under there. Its 1 screw to pop off the trim panel if you need to get to it.

Check out denmonkey on youtube, I think he put one of his radios in the glove box upper 'pocket' next to the aux/usb connectors, one of his earlier videos.
              2013 NW GLX. 285,000km | ARB Deluxe Bar, Boo's bashplates, 4x4 Tough Winch, underbonnet dual battery & db140i isolator, D697 265/70r17, Rhino tracks & vortex bars, DIY rear drawers, Waeco CF40, 60L water bladder, 2.5m awning, Vlad TC mod, Provent 200, TJM Airtec, Uniden UH8060.
              --SOLD--1995 NJ GLS 3.5L Manual. 348,000km 2" Toughdog/EFS suspension, 265/75r16 Toyo Open Country A/T II

Comment

• onair
                • Jun 2020
                • Victoria

Thanks so much for all your replies...

If you are thinking of putting it in the back, maybe the rectangular pocket on the passenger side at the back might work.
                I'll have to go have another look. I don't recall seeing a rectangular pocket on the passenger side.

Thanks for the tip on the power supply too - I'll probably run a dedicated cable back their for the unit - at this stage the unit I'm installing only requires 15A, but if I decide to swap it over for the FT857D - that can draw up to 22A, which I think is well outside the range of the cigarette / aux socket.

I've already removed the rear seats once - talk about simple. I don't know who engineers these things - and I've never owned a Mitsubishi before - but I can say that I'm very impressed coming from decades with other cars! Why didn't I get one earlier!?!

I'll see if I can find this pocket you're talking about - thanks once again!

Comment

• onair
                  • Jun 2020
                  • Victoria

Hi Old Paj,

Thanks so much for replying...

Originally posted by Old Paj View Post
                  For ready access and ease of fitting, perhaps consider under either driver or front passenger seats.

Still need to run 12V to the location, but can be done from an active 12V circuit eg. from the back of the cig lighter in the console.

If in the back, perhaps consider remote access plugs and put it in behind the side panels

To me the greater issue is for the antenna. I am currently looking at fitting a tri-band and locations for it.
                  I tried to access both of these locations (driver and passengers side), however the unit will be hit by the bars and cables when moving the seats forward and backwards. (Unfortunately a common occurrence - since I am a tall bloke, and my bride is rather on the...... height-challenged side ) The drivers seat looks like it has more going on under it than the passenger side, so I'm thinking the passenger side would be the most probable if I can make it work.

I don't know if there is a trick to it? I thought about moving the seat all the way forward and accessing some space from the rear (those seats move a long way too!) - but there's some sort of carpet/material at the back of the seat connected to the floor that doesn't allow me to get in.

My primary concern is the unit not catching a cable and ripping it out, or damage occurring to the unit or the seat, although it sounds as though others seem to have no problems installing here.

The size I was trying to do included a mounting bracket (which I was going to utilise to keep the body off the floor for a bit of airflow for cooling underneath - but I'm wondering now if I don't worry about that and just sit the unit right on the floor - this will give me some room - maybe enough to use that location).

Antenna's at this stage I am look at will be on the side of the bonnet, both left and right just in front of the windshield. The wifey doesn't want it out the front of the car right in her view - so it seems like the most logical location.

Very interested in tips of do's / don't do's, best way to access, etc - regarding under the seat if there are some as this would be one of my most preferred locations if I can make it happen without butchering anything.

Comment

• onair
                    • Jun 2020
                    • Victoria

Originally posted by Turorit View Post
                    How about on top of the trans tunnel next to drivers foot rest? I've fit the body for my IC208h and my Uh8060 under there. Its 1 screw to pop off the trim panel if you need to get to it.

Check out denmonkey on youtube, I think he put one of his radios in the glove box upper 'pocket' next to the aux/usb connectors, one of his earlier videos.
                    This has intrigued me. I have no idea what's going on under there, but if it's only one screw - I need to check it out a little more.

I've checked out the glove box. Unfortunately the gap next to the USB sockets is way too small for the radio to fit. It looks like in his video it was larger in previous models?

Also - do you know what I should be searching for on youtube regarding that centre transmission panel, or have more information on where the screw is and how to remove? I've tried searching on youtube - but most of my results come up with outside of the car, not inside. Other video's seem to be pulling the whole lot apart as in a big job - so I may have misunderstood what you're referring to sorry.

Thanks again for your help!

Comment

• Two Emms
                      Valued Member
                      • Jan 2020
                      • Mansfield, Vic

You may not have this pocket if you have the fosgate sound system as the subwoofer is there I think.

For getting under the seats, at the risk of sounding like a broken record. Check out more of denmonkey vids.

I think the ones involving fitting an idoing brand Android head unit or a speaker install shows the removal of an amp which the previous owner had fitted under the front seat. Some helpful stuff there.

As to accessing the front top of the trans tunnel. Rock your left foot against the trans while sitting in the driver's seat. Thats the little triangle panel which gives access in there. From memory pretty easy to remove.

Comment

• alanymarce
                        • Apr 2015
                        • Colombia

A bit late to suggest it now, however we bought one with everything in the handset. If I had what you have I think I'd try to modify the roof lining above the rear view mirror and get it in there...

Comment

• onair
                          • Jun 2020
                          • Victoria

You may not have this pocket if you have the fosgate sound system as the subwoofer is there I think.

For getting under the seats, at the risk of sounding like a broken record. Check out more of denmonkey vids.

I think the ones involving fitting an idoing brand Android head unit or a speaker install shows the removal of an amp which the previous owner had fitted under the front seat. Some helpful stuff there.

As to accessing the front top of the trans tunnel. Rock your left foot against the trans while sitting in the driver's seat. Thats the little triangle panel which gives access in there. From memory pretty easy to remove.
                          Aah - that's it - I've got a big woofer in the back. (And I'm not talking about a German Shepherd) ;-) Otherwise I'm thinking that would have been a great idea.

I think I found the video you're referring too (I think), but unfotunately it doesn't appear to have any reference to the front seat. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XwBIo6LwX8 )

I'll check out that panel you're talking about on the drivers kick side - but I'm really warming up to the idea of trying to mount it under the seat if I can get easy access! Thanks again for taking the time out to reply and assist me - it's very much appreciated!

Comment

• onair
                            • Jun 2020
                            • Victoria

Originally posted by alanymarce View Post
                            A bit late to suggest it now, however we bought one with everything in the handset. If I had what you have I think I'd try to modify the roof lining above the rear view mirror and get it in there...
                            I think you're talking about UHF CB radio's. In my scenario I have a VHF/UHF dual band radio where I need to access the body for programming / updating / a SD card slot, etc. (What I'm talking about here isn't a CB UHF Radio - but a HAM radio). Thanks for replying though!

Comment

• Two Emms
                              Valued Member
                              • Jan 2020
                              • Mansfield, Vic

Originally posted by onair View Post
                              Aah - that's it - I've got a big woofer in the back.
                              Then you may well also have an amp under the passenger seat. Not sure if that's where they put them as my model is different

I cannot remember exactly which video shows how to access under the front seat but I do remember the trick was something like- remove the front seat bolts and only loosen the rear bolts. This allows you to lean the seat back and not damage/unplug the yellow airbag connections.( Fairly important!)

This link might also be handy for you to refer to for most things. Note that it only goes to 2013 but the information is applicable to most everything on later models. Don't think it covers the sound system but does cover electrics which could be handy for you.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X