• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by Bru9 View Post
    70L is really about the max you can carry on a wagon when you consider all other gear. The law of packing is you will always hit your weight limit LONG before space is taken up. I never saw the point in onboard setups because they do nothing for my style of camping which is fully external and the 4wd will be ready for the wreakers in just 10 measly years of touring. For me life to short to do all that work, so I simply throw it all in. I carry 3x 20L (23L) water jerries that sit in uber tough cage box with quick acess gate, w/ VERY expensive rare clark rubber floor pads. Let gravity and friction hold it all in place and very little risk of breaking something. I drove like a hoon around corners and that whole thing barley moved.

On top of that I carry about 12L in ss bottles in my two engels. Then 4L in MSR bag for roadside shower setup in rearwheel bag, then 2x 750ml spray bottles in rearwheel bag side pockets for emergency showering/washing up.

The secret is to get water consumption down, for example my new high end diy minimalist shower uses 900-1100ml per shower-a real proper shower. that is pretty dam amazing considering the spray bottle method uses dead on 500ml to get a good clean.
    I also carry the joolca hottap v2 dialed back to lowest flow rate for running water in large ss sink for dishes. So yeah women know they got it all with me...lol

...but wait more!more i say!

Also carry 20l water jerry on rear bar solely for washing hands and equipment like pegs etc. Absolute must.
    I am confused????

"70 lt Max" but
    3 x 20lt, Actually 23l is 66lt
    12 litres in fridge/s in SS bottles
    4 lt in a MSR bag
    1.5 lts in 2x 750ml spray bottles, great idea, we have done this for years and it really reduces water waste.
    20 lt on the rear bar.
    so 66 + 12 + 4 +1.5 + 20 = 103.5 lt.
    105 litres is a generous water allowance for 4 people for 7 days camping. 3 lt per person + 3lt for cooking & dishes per day as a guide.

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• CascadesPajero
      • Jan 2021
      • Qatar

First post here, so take it for what it’s worth, but for 2 nights (2 adults, 2 kids, 2 dogs) we take 60 liters potable water in two blue Reliance jugs behind the front seat. Then two 6 liter MSR bags of drinking water go between them with the potjie. That’s a total of 72 liters for two days max. I agree with a roof top tent, front runner rack, and ARB fridge, plus wood, that’s about the max. We need the water because we live in the desert (Qatar) and have two young kids who require frequent spray downs. If I ditched the fridge and potjie I could take more water but sacrifice the critical needs in life.
      But to the original question, if they’re available in Australia, the 30 liter Reliance jugs are cheap and great. I’ve connected them with some hose which runs to a pump in the back. I’ll post a picture some time, it is rustic but works great, especially on beach days. Plus, because the hoses are connected at the bottom, I can refill one with a hose and both are topped off.

Comment

• jaffles
        Valued Member
        • Nov 2020
        • Tamborine Mountain

Just wondering if anyone makes or has a moulded tank that spans behind the second row seat. Something that accommodates that awkward space that is lost via the slope of the seats.

Not sure what capacity it would hold, and there is perhaps 5-10kg in plastic to consider. It would most likely be static but could be removable.

I know from my defender days, Ol mate at Abber tanks is capable and good to deal with. There are various design limitations, but square lines with the odd corner shaved is possible. You also get choice or where inlets and outlets go.

I can vouch for durability, I had a 50lt in the second row floor pan. The kids jumped all over it for years. It also had baffles partly for strength, partly for slosh.

Comment

• Jasonmc73
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2019
          • Brisbane

Originally posted by jaffles View Post
          Just wondering if anyone makes or has a moulded tank that spans behind the second row seat. Something that accommodates that awkward space that is lost via the slope of the seats.
          Might help, dunno see link

Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• jaffles
            Valued Member
            • Nov 2020
            • Tamborine Mountain

Yeh something like that. The brand escapes me at the moment. They are made well. I had an 80lt under the tray. It only mounted on the edges but span 1000mm. No sign of failure after 10 years and plenty of use and abuse like corrugations.

Going against the logic here, but I'd be happy to put all the eggs in one basket with that or an Abber tank. Had a look around Abber tanks website and they do a similar custom tank. Perhaps may fit more exact.

Comment

• Jasonmc73
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2019
              • Brisbane

Had a look around Abber tanks website and they do a similar custom tank. Perhaps may fit more exact.
              This mob must be doing something rite as website says booked out till march!

He has a Pajero parked on a tank, so maybe he has Paj experience .

Might be pricey if its custom weld i suppose, but you can't have custom & cheap I guess, not in this country anyhow.

Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• jaffles
                Valued Member
                • Nov 2020
                • Tamborine Mountain

You'd be surprised, well unless things have changed. I found him to be helpful on ideas and good on pricing.

He services the caravan market for water tanks firstly. I think 4x4s, boats etc are just gap fillers. With all markets going gang busters due to covid, Im not surprised his busy.

Comment

• sharkcaver
                  "2000"+ Valued Contributor
                  • May 2009
                  • Perth

The brand escapes me at the moment. They are made well. I had an 80lt under the tray. It only mounted on the edges but span 1000mm. No sign of failure after 10 years and plenty of use and abuse like corrugations.
                  I'm guessing you mean Enmach. They have been around for years and offer all manner of storage options:

Enmach's RV & 4WD Water tanks are built smart & inventive, suitable for our Australian way of life. Strong, UV resistant, Exceptionally durable, Lightweight

MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• jaffles
                    Valued Member
                    • Nov 2020
                    • Tamborine Mountain

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post

I'm guessing you mean Enmach. They have been around for years and offer all manner of storage options:

Enmach's RV & 4WD Water tanks are built smart & inventive, suitable for our Australian way of life. Strong, UV resistant, Exceptionally durable, Lightweight

Spot on 👍

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X