• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kinnean01
    • Jan 2019
    • perth

2017 NX GLS tyres

Hi all

I know this has probably been done to death but I am looking for a little advice please.

We are replacing the factory 265 60 R18 tyres on our 2017 Paj. I am also getting a suspension upgrade (50mm bilsteins, kings etc.). We do a fair bit of towing - older heavyish jayco swan which may get replaced in the future.

Majority of driving is the wifes daily but we do some lesser offroad tracks, beach and some rougher drives, Gnaraloo etc. while towing.

I have been recommended the Toyo Open Country A/T II's in 285 60 R18's. While not an LT tyre I am relatively happy with the construction but worried they will scrub. Also I think they recommend an 8" rim and the factory alloys are 7.5". Can anyone shed some light on either of these potential problems?

Toyo do a direct replacement 265 60 R18 but the construction is not as robust but may well be suitable for our application.

Would love to hear your thoughts or offer an alternative meeting our requirements.

Thanks in advance..
    Last edited by kinnean01; 11-06-20, 09:48 PM. Reason: update title
  • wazza5
    • Jan 2015
    • WA

Why go bigger. As it is people complaint that they have trouble sourcing replacement when touring due to availability out of major city areas for standard 18-inch rims (it is getting better).
    Stay with standard size and look for a good tyre.
    There has been reports the Toyo sidewalls are susceptible to puncture.
    Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus and Hankook Dynapro Atm Rf10 both have had good reviews

Comment

• kinnean01
      • Jan 2019
      • perth

Originally posted by wazza5 View Post
      Why go bigger. As it is people complaint that they have trouble sourcing replacement when touring due to availability out of major city areas for standard 18-inch rims (it is getting better).
      Stay with standard size and look for a good tyre.
      Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus and Hankook Dynapro Atm Rf10 both have had good reviews
      Thanks for the reply Wazza. I hadn't really contemplated going up a size until the dealer recommended it for the better tyre construction, I am happy enough to stay at the factory size for the right tyre.

Comment

• jkwpajero
        • Jun 2008
        • Young, NSW

Originally posted by wazza5 View Post
        As have Falken Wildpeak AT3W in the standard sizing. I am having a good run out of mine in various conditions.

James
        2014 NW VR-X, with a few modifications and an Automate fitted Driving Pajero number three.

Comment

• kinnean01
          • Jan 2019
          • perth

Seems the Pirelli's and the Falken are the better two out of the three when looking at reviews.
          Neither seem to have a LT construction, is this a big deal? Again looking at where and how we drive.
          Thanks.

Comment

• dc80
            • Jan 2019
            • Perth

There are very few LT options for 265/60R18 size unfortunately. The ones I know are the Bridgestone D697s and the BFG K02s. There are a few higher load passenger rated tyres, Hankook RF10s and Falken ATW3s in the same size and are 114 load, all others seem to be 110 load. I've got the Falkens and have been very happy with them, they are have a pretty solid sidewall and quiet on road.
            2016 NX GLS MY16 | MMA towbar | Boo's bash plates | ProVent 200 catch can | 2" Lovells MD (F+R) + Bilsteins | Stedi 28" ST4K | Falken Wildpeak AT3W 265/60R18 | Yokohama Geolandar G015 LT265/70R17 | iDRIVE | Redarc Tow Pro Elite | Nautia switch panel

Comment

• Two Emms
              Valued Member
              • Jan 2020
              • Mansfield, Vic

Toyo do a direct replacement 265 60 R18 but the construction is not as robust but may well be suitable for our application.

Interesting comment. I am currently pricing these exact tyres in an AT pattern. My local tyre guy (who is really reliable) has told me they are a light truck construction. I think I shall have to ask him a few more questions.
              2016 NX GLS Factory alloy bar, Provent 200 catch can, Boos bash plates (full set), Stedi light bar, 40 litre Waeco, Titan fridge slide, Kings springs, Toyo Open Country AT3s, Auto-mate, Ultragauge, Uniden 8080s, Tanami x11, more to come...

Comment

• old Jack
                Regular
                • Jun 2011
                • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by Two Emms View Post

Interesting comment. I am currently pricing these exact tyres in an AT pattern. My local tyre guy (who is really reliable) has told me they are a light truck construction. I think I shall have to ask him a few more questions.
                The Yokohama G015 comes in passenger, passenger extra-load and light truck construction so you need to be careful which tyres are supplied and they the tyres you want.

P 265/60R-18 110 load index Passenger Construction RRP $374.
                LT 265/60R-18 119 load index Light Truck Construction RRP $394.

P/XL 265/65R-18 Extra Load Passenger Construction RRP $419. This is a plus 1 diameter tyre so it is 26.6mm larger in overall diameter.

OJ.
                2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• nj swb
                  Resident
                  • Jun 2007
                  • Adelaide

Originally posted by kinnean01 View Post
                  Thanks for the reply Wazza. I hadn't really contemplated going up a size until the dealer recommended it for the better tyre construction, I am happy enough to stay at the factory size for the right tyre.
                  If you want to go up one size for a better choice of tyre construction why go up in width and not profile? A 265/65R18 may also open up some options for you, and the factory width is likely to fit your spare wheel carrier better.
                  NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Two Emms
                    Valued Member
                    • Jan 2020
                    • Mansfield, Vic

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                    you need to be careful which tyres are supplied and they the tyres you want.

OJ.
                    Absolutely agree. I just checked the brochure for the Toyo Open Country ATs. 265/60r18 are 110T. Sure doesn't seem like a LT construction. The fact that LT tyres are marked by an asterisk in the brochure and these are not just confirms my suspicions.

I was keen on them as the price was good ($300 ) and I have read good reports. Oh well, back to the drawing board.
                    2016 NX GLS Factory alloy bar, Provent 200 catch can, Boos bash plates (full set), Stedi light bar, 40 litre Waeco, Titan fridge slide, Kings springs, Toyo Open Country AT3s, Auto-mate, Ultragauge, Uniden 8080s, Tanami x11, more to come...

Comment

• kinnean01
                      • Jan 2019
                      • perth

So after further enquiries, comments here and elsewhere, sticking with the factory fitted alloys and ruling out a couple of tyres due to either wet weather performance, road noise or just price (BF KO2 & MT 38's) it really only leaves one true LT tire at 265 60 R18 that being the Cooper AT3.

These are a fairly hefty $389 a corner as it is which will require a decent amount of sweet talking to the bank manager.

The only other semi viable option based on reviews etc and the 114 load rating I believe is the Wildpeak AT3W's at $339 a corner.

Comment

• old Jack
                        Regular
                        • Jun 2011

Absolutely agree. I just checked the brochure for the Toyo Open Country ATs. 265/60r18 are 110T. Sure doesn't seem like a LT construction. The fact that LT tyres are marked by an asterisk in the brochure and these are not just confirms my suspicions.

I was keen on them as the price was good ($300 ) and I have read good reports. Oh well, back to the drawing board.
                        As a general rule of thumb, look at the load index.

111 or below are Passenger construction, even though they might have an AT tread pattern but it is around 9mm in depth. Suitable for light on road duties.

112 to 114 are Passenger Construction Extra Load so they have a reinforced tread area and a slightly stronger shoulder and sidewall, tread depth is normally between 9mm and 12mm. Suitable for heavier on road duties and light off road duties.

115 to 118 are Light Truck construction medium duty 8 ply rated, with tread depth of 10mm to 13mm. Suitable for heavy on road and medium off road duties.

119 and above are Light Truck construction heavy duty 10 ply rated, with a tread depth of 12mm or more. Suitable for heavy on and off road duties,

All of the above tyres come in mild AT and AT tread patterns so it easy to get sold the wrong tyre.
                        The devil is in the detail!

In 114XL load index and AT tread pattern in 265/60R18 there are a few tyres to choose from;
                        Hankook ATM RF 10
                        Falken Wildpeak AT3W
                        Bridgestone D697
                        Cooper ATT
                        Dunlop Grandtrek ATG3

114 Load Index tyres will give you increased load carrying capacity and slightly more puncture resistant but they are no substitute for Light Truck construction tyres when off road.
                        On a recent trip to the Bendleby Ranges, of the 10 vehicles the 2 vehicle not running LT tyres both ruined tyres with shoulder/sidewall damage. If you venture off road even occasionally it is a risk you take.

Remember there are no bad tyres just bad tyre choices!

OJ.
                        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• pajaj70
                          • Apr 2016
                          • Melbourne

Hankook Dynapro RF10 also has a 114 load rating, have had for 3 years and run 50k and still got 1/3 usable tread left.
                          NX 2016 GLX , Boos bash plates, catch can and flashlube primary filter.

Comment

• Two Emms
                            Valued Member
                            • Jan 2020
                            • Mansfield, Vic

Thanks for the detailed post o.j.. This will make my tyre shopping a bit easier.

Am currently running the 114s ATG3s as they were on the paj when I bought it. Using the manufacture date on the tyres and comparing it to the service history, they have done between 40 and 50k Klms and are pretty much finished with only a few mms left. Obviuosly I have no idea what they were treated like by the previous owner so make no judgment of how durable they are. The tread is "aggressive" enough for me but chasing heavier construction. Hence the desire for LT tyres.

Comment

• old Jack
                              Regular
                              • Jun 2011

Thanks for the detailed post o.j.. This will make my tyre shopping a bit easier.

Am currently running the 114s ATG3s as they were on the paj when I bought it. Using the manufacture date on the tyres and comparing it to the service history, they have done between 40K and 50K kms and are pretty much finished with only a few mms left. Obviuosly I have no idea what they were treated like by the previous owner so make no judgment of how durable they are. The tread is "aggressive" enough for me but chasing heavier construction. Hence the desire for LT tyres.
                              In a mild AT tread pattern in 10ply Light Truck the range is limited;
                              Mickey Thompson AT 38
                              Cooper AT3LT
                              Yokohama G015, these are currently on special at Tyresales for $330 each when you buy 4. https://www.tyresales.com.au/buy/tyr...4&delivery=VIC

OJ.
                              Last edited by old Jack; 12-06-20, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X