• Show
Clear All
  • green monster
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2008
    • Adelaide

final drive modifications ??

hi all
    I remember reading that someone out there with an NM has modified the final drive ratio to make towing a large trailer a bit easier, I am wondering if i may benefit from the same mod? as im finding my gearing is a tad too low now with the bigger wheels fitted,(maybe even bigger soon)
    Is it easy to do and what ratios have been used / tried,
    thanks cam
    NX ARB bar totally stock,, for now and the trusty old NM Exceed ,Injected LPG. ARB Sahara bar 12000lb Tigerz11winch,Lightforce genisis ,2x stealth LED bars, rear LED reverse light, GU Patrol black wheels 32"BFGs ,custom alloy roof rack with twin awnings,, snorkel, Milford barrier, custom rear storage ,triple batteries,fridge slide,Pioneer touchscreen unit, 50L Waeco,UHF,lots of scratches down the sides, new super powerful engine!,bash plates, 3" lift,polyairs Dobinsons,extractors ,Maxtrax
  • mrbitchi
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2007
    • Brisbane

The only way to modify the overall gearing, aside from different sized wheels/tyres, is to change the diff ratios... Could get a tad expensive..

Can't see that you'd notice any difference in an auto anyway. Yours IS an auto??
    Cheers, John.
    LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
    Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

• psproule
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2007
      • Googong, NSW

I'm guessing here, but there are probably a series of ratio's available between the three different motors in an NM (Dont forget the 2.8) and again between auto and manual. But there would be a bit of work involved. Are tyou sure you aren't talking about the lower low-range gearing available through Mark Hardman?

Pat
      2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
      2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

• green monster
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2008
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by mrbitchi View Post
        The only way to modify the overall gearing, aside from different sized wheels/tyres, is to change the diff ratios... Could get a tad expensive..

Can't see that you'd notice any difference in an auto anyway. Yours IS an auto??
        $$$ thats the biggie here !
        But i am sure that someone out there was writing about changing final drive ratios (high range) to make towing their large trailer full of scaffolding?? easier,

if its possible i would imagine it would give me more power when towing heavy??

and yes its auto ,,mores the pitty
        NX ARB bar totally stock,, for now and the trusty old NM Exceed ,Injected LPG. ARB Sahara bar 12000lb Tigerz11winch,Lightforce genisis ,2x stealth LED bars, rear LED reverse light, GU Patrol black wheels 32"BFGs ,custom alloy roof rack with twin awnings,, snorkel, Milford barrier, custom rear storage ,triple batteries,fridge slide,Pioneer touchscreen unit, 50L Waeco,UHF,lots of scratches down the sides, new super powerful engine!,bash plates, 3" lift,polyairs Dobinsons,extractors ,Maxtrax

Comment

• 1993 NJ LWB
          Valued Member
          • Aug 2007

Well i guess you have a v6 seeing as you have injected gas. That means your final drive is 4.3:1. You could buy the diff centers out of a 2.8 tdi fairly cheap and put them in your self for no extra cost. This would change your final drive to 4.9:1. Witch i think is about 12% increase in gearing.

Jack
          1993 NJ LWB: UHF, bull bar, 2" Iron man coils/T-bars, 30mm coil spacers, 35mm body lift, long travel RS5000s, Cranked T-bars, lokka, 35x12.5 GoodYear MTR, light force 170s, Duel battery with selectable volt meter, roof basket, 9.5" rear diff - more to come!

Comment

• swordfishBob
            • May 2008

I have a 2.8 and would like a higher gear, though it would mean changing back on the hills when towing. Anyone know the 4th and 5th ratios in a 2.8td manual?
            I don't suppose Green Monster is in nthn inland NSW..

Comment

• kibz
              • Jul 2007
              • Melb, Victoria

I also thought there was a thread about diff ratios, axle sizes and/or spline sizes compared with auto verses manual somewhere on here too.....
              Cheers,
              Paul

Comment

• kibz
                • Jul 2007
                • Melb, Victoria

just did a "diff ratio" search and found these 2 threads. "Lowering diff ratio" and "Pajero diff ratio" both in "where the rubber hits the road" (sorry don't know how to link thr threads). Hope this helps.
                Cheers,
                Paul

Comment

• Ian Sharpe
                  Valued Member
                  • Nov 2000
                  • Tasmania

mate, it can be done, I did it in my NK 3.5l

The diffs from the 2.8TDI 4.90 are a straight swap in, you have to do front & back.
                  But IMO it was not a cost effective exercise unless you can get the diffs cheap or can do the work yourself. If you source the diffs from wreckers expect to pay $500 a piece. Plud fitting if you can t do it yourself.

Good luck
                  NS shorty 3.8l petrol with winch, front/rear E-lockers
                  NT shorty 3.2l tdi, pretty stock with rear locker

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X