Below Nav Bar

Collapse

Rear Bumper Protection Completed NS-NT!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pearcie
    BushSkinz 4x4
    • Nov 2007
    • Wattagans

Rear Bumper Protection Completed NS-NT!!!

Hi Guys,
    Well good news I have finally had a chance to nut out the rear bumper protection for the NS and NT Pajeros both SWB and LWB which are fitted with the Mitsubishi Tow Bar. The Design which I have finalised allows you to swap between towing and rear recovery hitch without removing the bar which is a major advantage and you only need to undo 2 bolts to be able to remove it when not required.

It will take a fair bit of punishment with brackets made from 8mm thick plate, the rear section has a 3mm wall thickness and the mount in the center where the recovery hitch and tow bar go through has a 5mm wall thickness and to top it off the skid plate underneath is 3mm thick as well.

I have attached a few pics which show it pretty nicely, we have managed to keep it nicely tucked in close to the rear bumper and also flows on nicely from the aux fuel tank on our SWB. Best of all it should stop the rear bumper from acting as a sand scoop on the beach which I found was a major problem on our last LWB as we always tore out the area about 600mm either side of the tow bar.

Anyway at this stage we will be making them to order and depending on interest we may or may not have them as a regular item. But if you want one I will be doing them for only $450 without a recovery hitch or $500 with a recovery hitch. (please note you need to have a recovery hitch or the tow bar installed as it forms an important part of the mounting system and you will need a recovery hitch should you need to use a recovery point at the rear of the vehicle.)

When I get a chance I will get under an NM/NP as I believe their tow bar is a little different.

I look forward to hearing from you guys soon!!!

[email protected]

Cheers,
    Kieron
    Attached Files
    2012 Holden RG Colorado LX 2.8L Auto "Rad Rado"
    Snorkel, Bilstein & Kings 50mm Lift, Custom Sliders, BushSkinz Underbody Protection, UHF, ARB Compressor, Ironman Bull Bar, Ironman 9500lb Rope Winch, Ironman HID Spotties, BFG KM2 Muddies.

Retired: NS Pajero Exceed 3.8L

Retired: NS SWB X DiD "The BushSkinz lil Paj"

http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ead.php?t=9928

Retired: NM Pajero 3.5L

www.bushskinz4x4.com.au[/SIZE]

Looks good Keiron.

Anthony.
    Last edited by Guest; 28-01-11, 06:49 PM. Reason: I should read before posting

Comment

• Pearcie
      BushSkinz 4x4
      • Nov 2007
      • Wattagans

Thanks mate, the Mrs is very happy with it and likes the look of it as well so it will be staying on our vehicle permanently
      Snorkel, Bilstein & Kings 50mm Lift, Custom Sliders, BushSkinz Underbody Protection, UHF, ARB Compressor, Ironman Bull Bar, Ironman 9500lb Rope Winch, Ironman HID Spotties, BFG KM2 Muddies.

Comment

• David Anderson
        Valued Member
        • Aug 2007
        • Albury

Hi Kieron, looks awesome as expected.

Will one fit my LWB over an ARB towbar ?
        (I assume they're the same as the MM ?)
        09 NT GL manual.

www.twigwater.com - My fly fishing blog.

http://www.dsaphoto.com

Comment

• Pearcie
          BushSkinz 4x4
          • Nov 2007
          • Wattagans

Thanks David,
          I haven't seen the ARB tow bar but if the distance between the 2 recovery points/tie down points on the tow bar is 975-980mm and if you measure on the underside of the tow bar where you slide you tow bar tongue in, it should be 225mm long from the opening to the back including the back plate (the plate at the rear of the hitch that stops the hole for your tow bar tongue filling up with muck from the back). If these measurements match up then I am sure that it will fit.

If you email through a couple of pics and if possible have some one hold a tape measure in place I should be able to confirm for you, just to be on the safe side, as I don't like my chances of finding a local Paj with as ARB tow bar.

Cheers,
          Kieron

Comment

• CeeJay
            Valued Member
            • Sep 2008
            • Samford, QLD

Looks great Kieron. Can you do it in black?

2008 NS DiD GLX, ARB bar, Warn winch, BFG ATs, Bilstein/Lovell 2" lift, Milford barrier, VMS GPS, Rhino platform rack, Uniden UHF, Mobile 1 antenna, MMA tow bar, DIY dual battery system, Outback rear storage, Bushskinz bash plates x 3, custom steel sliders, Airtec snorkel, Narva HIDs, Ironman awning, ERPS, Glind hot water

Comment

• Pearcie
              BushSkinz 4x4
              • Nov 2007
              • Wattagans

Hi CeeJay,
              Yeh mate black isn't an issue, either black or Silver should be fine with out any extra cost so long as I get about 5 of the same colour done at the same time. We get black done regularly obviously with the bash plates so I can always throw one in with the bash plates to be powder coated. The main reason I went with silver for ours is that most of our rear bumper is silver and wanted it to match a little nicer. From memory the GL/GLX and R models don't have the Silver in the rear bumper so black would be a better look in my opinion for those. Also as I sprayed it in house rather then powder coat spaying with cold gal was a better coating then most other paints.

Cheers,
              Kieron

Comment

• CeeJay
                Valued Member
                • Sep 2008
                • Samford, QLD

Sounds good Kieron. It's on the wishlist (after spotties and awning!).

2008 NS DiD GLX, ARB bar, Warn winch, BFG ATs, Bilstein/Lovell 2" lift, Milford barrier, VMS GPS, Rhino platform rack, Uniden UHF, Mobile 1 antenna, MMA tow bar, DIY dual battery system, Outback rear storage, Bushskinz bash plates x 3, custom steel sliders, Airtec snorkel, Narva HIDs, Ironman awning, ERPS, Glind hot water

Comment

• Brownie
                  • Nov 2008
                  • Brisbane

Hi Kieron, your newest work looks great. Could you please post up some extra photos showing the hitch and trailer plug area. I have an anderson plug + trailer plug and hope that you have left sufficient room for both in your cut out.

Could you also please post up a photo taken from under the car which shows how far towards the muffler the plate section covers.

Brownie
                  Sold Pajero NS R SWB 2008
                  Replaced with a 2018 Mazda BT50

Comment

• Pearcie
                    BushSkinz 4x4
                    • Nov 2007
                    • Wattagans

No worries CeeJay I look forward to hearing from you when your ready mate.

Comment

• Pearcie
                      BushSkinz 4x4
                      • Nov 2007
                      • Wattagans

Hi Brownie. Not a problem at all, these pics show either side near where the exhaust comes out on the left hand side for LWB models/SWB with aux tank and on the right for SWB models without the aux tank. Also a couple of pics of either side of the hitch showing the access through the cut out to the trailer plug and also to be able to put the tow bar pin in etc.

If they mounted the trailer plug on the bottom side of the bracket from the factory you will need to flip it to the top side of the bracket which is a better place for it anyway.

Brownie should you need the cut out to be a little larger just let me know and I can cut it to suit.

Cheers,
                      Kieron
                      Attached Files

Comment

• David Anderson
                        Valued Member
                        • Aug 2007
                        • Albury

Originally posted by Pearcie View Post
                        Thanks David,
                        I haven't seen the ARB tow bar but if the distance between the 2 recovery points/tie down points on the tow bar is 975-980mm and if you measure on the underside of the tow bar where you slide you tow bar tongue in, it should be 225mm long from the opening to the back including the back plate (the plate at the rear of the hitch that stops the hole for your tow bar tongue filling up with muck from the back). If these measurements match up then I am sure that it will fit.

If you email through a couple of pics and if possible have some one hold a tape measure in place I should be able to confirm for you, just to be on the safe side, as I don't like my chances of finding a local Paj with as ARB tow bar.
                        Cool, I'll get a couple snaps tomorrow or monday and send them to you..
                        09 NT GL manual.

www.twigwater.com - My fly fishing blog.

http://www.dsaphoto.com

Comment

• CeeJay
                          Valued Member
                          • Sep 2008
                          • Samford, QLD

I have to say that's a pretty clever design using the tow hitch like that Kieron. I'm impressed.

Comment

• Pearcie
                            BushSkinz 4x4
                            • Nov 2007
                            • Wattagans

Thanks mate, I had been looking at it for a long time trying to work out the best way of doing it and then mid last week it hit me that I was looking at things from the wrong point of view. I had been looking at it with the tow hitch as being used as a solid point of contact, where in fact it just needed to provide the strength to stop it from pivoting and being pushed in to the rear bumper. Bolting through the tow bar recovery points makes it solid and there is no movement at all so it won't rattle around at all.

Doing it this way also meant that it wasn't confined to only being able to be fitted when not towing and has also meant that I can do things $50-100 cheaper for you guys which is also a bonus.

Cheers,
                            Kieron

Comment

Hi Kieron,

Do you know if the rear bar will interfere with the sonar / rear park sensors?

Anthony.

edit:.. never mind, I just noticed that your Paj has rear park sensors, so I'm guessing that they work fine with the rear bar.
                              Last edited by Guest; 26-02-11, 09:55 PM. Reason: should look at photo's clearly before posting.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X