• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • evo6fan
    • Jun 2010
    • Melbourne

2.8TD starting procedure

Hi guys,

I'm a new Pajero owner (only bought her yesterday!) and this car is my first diesel. This sounds like an obvious question but I can't seem to find it on Google. What is the starting procedure with re. to the glow plugs and the switch to turn them on? How many seconds, should any lights come on etc etc.?

Many thanks,
    Varun
    1995 NJ 2.8TD
  • Thomas101
    • Nov 2008
    • S.E. Melbourne

Gday,

Just turn the key to on. There will be a light on your dash that comes on. Its basically a squiggly line. When that turns off you good to start. If your engine is already warm it wont come on at all.

Thomas
    '94 2.8TD NJ, 2" RidePro, 285/75 R16 MTRs, 220mm Roo Lites, REDARC Dual Batteries, 12,000lbs Tigerz11 with Rope, GME TX3340 with 4.5db Antenna, 12" of Cadence Bass

Comment

• evo6fan
      • Jun 2010
      • Melbourne

Originally posted by Thomas101 View Post
      Gday,

Just turn the key to on. There will be a light on your dash that comes on. Its basically a squiggly line. When that turns off you good to start. If your engine is already warm it wont come on at all.

Thomas
      Thanks for that. So what is that rubber switch just by your left knee for? Will the engine start while the squiggly line (I'm assuming that's the glow plug light) is on if I turn the key to ignition?
      1995 NJ 2.8TD

Comment

• Pajenaro
        • Oct 2007
        • Albany Creek

I like to wait a bit longer. The Glowplug light on the dash only comes on for about 1 sec but there is still power to the glow plugs for about 8 sec. If you listen carefully you'll hear a relay click on when you turn the key to on and then it will click off after 8 sec.

This from the Haines manual-

Glow Indicator Lamp - Off after 1.5sec
        Glow Plug Relay - Off after approx 8 sec
        Glow Relay (pre heat time control) - Off after 180 sec.

I just changed out all my glow plugs. Bit more info here if you like:

happy driving
        Scott
        1998 NL GLX 2.8TD, Man

Comment

• evo6fan
          • Jun 2010
          • Melbourne

Very helpful, thanks!
          1995 NJ 2.8TD

Comment

• simonc
            • Nov 2009
            • Western Melbourne

Originally posted by evo6fan View Post
            Thanks for that. So what is that rubber switch just by your left knee for? Will the engine start while the squiggly line (I'm assuming that's the glow plug light) is on if I turn the key to ignition?
            I think the switch you are referring to controls the electric antenna. In one position, the antenna will extend to full length when activated (ie radio swtiched on), and in the other position, the antenna will only extend halfway.
            NK 2.8TD, 32" Big horns, 16" sunnies, 2" ome lift, safari snorkel, black widow storage, ARB on board compressor, narva spotties, 40ch uniden, rfi 6dB antenna. Still to be installed: tigerz11 alloy rack, ARB winch bar and tigerz11 12k winch. Wish list: Front auto lokka, 2.5" exhaust.

Comment

• evo6fan
              • Jun 2010
              • Melbourne

Nope that's different. That's a plastic switch, isn't it? The one I'm talking about is rubber, sort of like a nipple. Right next to the antenna switch.
              1995 NJ 2.8TD

Comment

• Pajenaro
                • Oct 2007
                • Albany Creek

Originally posted by evo6fan View Post
                Nope that's different. That's a plastic switch, isn't it? The one I'm talking about is rubber, sort of like a nipple. Right next to the antenna switch.
                That's the milk despenser

Seriously though - not sure. On mine the left hand side controllers are the antenna switch, next to that an after market spot light switch, the dash light dimmer, and below all that closest to my left knee is the fuel cap release.
                1998 NL GLX 2.8TD, Man

Comment

• evo6fan
                  • Jun 2010
                  • Melbourne

Interesting. I have all of those except the spot light switch. Wonder what that switch is for?
                  1995 NJ 2.8TD

Comment

• peejay68au
                    Valued Member
                    • Jul 2007
                    • nsw

Mine doesn't come on with ignition, I have a switch I have to push for the glow plugs. I'd say the wire from the ignition has been damaged when it was stolen before I got it.
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.

Henry David Thoreau

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

• evo6fan
                      • Jun 2010
                      • Melbourne

Originally posted by peejay68au View Post
                      Mine doesn't come on with ignition, I have a switch I have to push for the glow plugs. I'd say the wire from the ignition has been damaged when it was stolen before I got it.

Peejay, where is this switch? What does it look like?

I'm thinking mine may be similar.
                      1995 NJ 2.8TD

Comment

• peejay68au
                        Valued Member
                        • Jul 2007
                        • nsw

It's down near/next to the fuel filler lever. It's just a small round push button, fairly non descript really.

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

• EastlyH
                          • Nov 2009
                          • Canberra

It is just a blanking piece on mine.

Comment

• evo6fan
                            • Jun 2010
                            • Melbourne

Peejay, that's the same as mine - a black round little button. How long do you push it down for? Does the glow plug light ever illuminate? How do you know when it's been long enough?

As you can see, I'm new this!
                            1995 NJ 2.8TD

Comment

• peejay68au
                              Valued Member
                              • Jul 2007
                              • nsw

Yeah my button is in that blanking piece. I hold it on until the glow plug relay clicks then start it. I only have a red light that comes on briefly then goes off. If the button is for the gp's I don't think there will be any light showing if it's not hooked into the ignition circuit. At least that's the way it seems to be on mine. On my old na pajero the gp light would show red then green when ready, mine doesn't do that but I have some blown globes so could be one of them.

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X