• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Merts
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2011
    • Bendigo Vic

I have a Darche 270. The hinges and spars are pretty heavy duty, but as others have said, you never know when you might get a big gust of wind. I haven't been game to use it without dropping the legs and attaching some ropes. I suspect what you are looking for doesn't exist, unless you go for one of the very heavy units (which come with a heavy price tag to match).
    Merts
    Impulse Blue 2015 MQ Triton GLS Auto

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
    Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto

Comment

• Paj man
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2010
      • Perth

Definitely possible (although I would be putting poles down in the below example);

Alu-Cab Shadow Awning in High wind coastal conditions. Winds were in the 15-20mph range with gusts 22-38mph. Recording device was acting up when the higher g...

My new Alucab Shadow Awning drying in a strong breeze after being set up in the rain a couple of days ago...no way I would be setting up a normal awning in t...

Looks like I'll be shelling some money out.
      1997 NK - Quad cam goodness turning 33 Duratrac's and 4.9 diffs, 2inch lift, steel front/sides/rear, front locker and a winch

Now pending: Nothing

Comment

• wombatwilli
        • Aug 2017
        • Brisbane

I have a Howling Moon 6 arm swing awing fitted to my NS SWB

I find it an incredibly good awning, albeit bulky and heavy. Before buying I researched plenty of awnings, what stood out most for me on the Howling Moon was the strength of it without poles down. It is very quick and easy to roll out and setup without using any poles or guys ropes and copes well with light winds.

If the wind does pick up it is very quick to put poles and guys ropes out. The poles are integrated into the arms of the awning, just grab the pole 'foot' and pull down, turning the lower half to adjust and lock in. The guy ropes are also integrated into the awning, they are stored in a small zip pocket on the outer edge of the awning canvas. As the poles are so easy to put up when I roll the awning out I always drop at least two poles to provide support and height, and just in case a wind gust comes along.

Quality of all materials is very good and Andre at Howling Moon is very helpful.

Comment

• Andythiing
          • May 2019
          • Adelaide Hills

What’s the weight of the howling moon and how does it sit on the SWB - I’m
          Interested in fitting one as well in the future - would you mind posting some pics?
          SWB Pajero NT X diesel auto
          2 inch lift
          ARB bar and snorkel
          Bushskinz bashplates and sliders

Comment

• choppa
            • Sep 2012
            • Townsville

I did a 9w trip round aus with my dad.
            Had the Darche 270 with 3 walls. The price was a bitter pill to swallow but everything I had researched pointed to the quality of it.
            Heavy duty bracket.
            We always pegged down in the big wind and only issue we had one night was zip gave way on a wall due to the absolute HAMMER of wind (a camper near us abandoned their tent early on and stayed in a cabin due to the forecast). We just zipped the wall back up and went to sleep.
            The 2nd gen version is out now and even stronger.
            Darche FTW. Very well made and worth the coin.

Sent from my HMA-L29 using Tapatalk
            2008 NS(X) Pajero
            3.2D auto, retrofitted with engine from 2016 NX (pre-DPF) and Aisin a750 transmission (V5AWF)
            EGR ON, 3” bullet cat
            Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 (RBT XL) 265/70R17

Comment

• wombatwilli
              • Aug 2017
              • Brisbane

Originally posted by Andythiing View Post
              What’s the weight of the howling moon and how does it sit on the SWB - I’m
              Interested in fitting one as well in the future - would you mind posting some pics?
              This is the best photo I have on me at the moment. The awning is the 2m version and it sits well on the car.
              Weight? I'm not sure but I know it was heavy to lift onto the brackets!
              Attached Files

Comment

• Andythiing
                • May 2019
                • Adelaide Hills

Cheers👍
                SWB Pajero NT X diesel auto
                2 inch lift
                ARB bar and snorkel
                Bushskinz bashplates and sliders

Comment

Matched content