• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brw0513
    • Apr 2018
    • Brisbane

Tyre Blocks - Gimmick or Really Useful?

I've seen a few ads now for tyre blocks like the ones in the pic.

Are these things truly useful or just a gimmick?

Good advice appreciated.
    Attached Files
    Ian B
    1998 NL SWB 6G74 Manual
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

Originally posted by brw0513 View Post
    I've seen a few ads now for tyre blocks like the ones in the pic.

Are these things truly useful or just a gimmick?

Good advice appreciated.
    Can't give much in the way of good advice, but hey - this is teh interwebz! I'll comment anyway!

I have never seen one of these in real life. I can sort of understand the theory, and have a gut feel that they would be awesome for digging deeper holes than you can do with tyres alone.

I found this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZzMv18gmgc The sound track is somewhat irritating, but the lyrics do contain amusing bits. And I like the dog.

Early in the video, there is footage of a vehicle spinning its wheels in sand. They stop pretty quickly, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but each time they stop, the vehicle is still moving rather than simply digging - perhaps if they'd kept going they wouldn't have needed "recovery"?
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Pwoffey
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2013
      • Adelaide

These things, TruckClaws, also look interesting, and the presenter makes a bit of a comparison with MaxTrax:

Truck Claws are designed and made in the USA for getting out of seriously nasty bogs. To find out more information on Truck Claws visit www.truckclaw.com.au

I know from personal experience that MaxTrax work, but I've never seen these TruckClaws in action. Especially in their extended mode, they might not clear mudguards if you have bigger tyres.
      BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni Raid 90 front, Dobinson IMLrear shocks with Kings 34-HD springs front, 35-EHD rear, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads, Mark's 4WD reduction gears

Comment

• erad
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2015
        • Cooma NSW

I cannot see either of these working on my NW Pajero because the brake caliper would get in the way.

I used to have a set of snow chains like this for my Triumph 2000. The system was 2 tread chains about 75 mm apart mounted on spreader bars. The spreaders had leather straps which I used to feed through the wheel slot and cinch up in the normal manner. They worked well until I lent them to someone else who revved the hell out of them in a bog and broke the leather straps.

I used to do ski patrol and thus I HAD to be on duty on the nominated day, whatever the weather. The Yogie Bears used to stop you and tell us to PUT ON YOUR CHAINS. The road was dry where we were. We would comply, but get around the corner and take them off if we thought it was OK. Everyone else who had the conventional ladder chains left them on because they were such a cow to fit and remove. I used to just slip mine off and then head off, putting them on again later if required.

Comment

• nj swb
          Resident
          • Jun 2007
          • Adelaide

Originally posted by erad View Post
          I cannot see either of these working on my NW Pajero because the brake caliper would get in the way.
          I'd suggest fitting 18" wheels, but I couldn't say that with a straight face.
          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• dhula
            Valued Member
            • Sep 2012
            • South of Perth

I've never tried on on a tyred vehicle but the theory is sound and works, kind like grousers on a tracked vehicle.
            Some times even tracks need help and use a similar idea. See this utube vid at about 4.20 --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Yu5FBMLXkk
            2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
            2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X