• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Silverfox
    • Apr 2010
    • Adelaide

Hesitation on Take Off

All
    Some assistance as to a problem I have had over the last few days. So car starts up ok and as normal, driving is normal but when I’m about 5 kms into a 7/8 km trip and this only happens on take of from lights the car “hesitates” when trying to take off.
    Only happens for a few seconds but then all is OK and the car drives as normal in every way, no hesitation when driving at all.

Not sure how to describe the “hesitation” but it is like what many of us have experienced with the SCV except this only happens on initial take off from a stand still and does not happen once the car is moving.

Any thoughts on what this might be would be appreciated.

Oh and its a Diesel.

Cheers
    Fox
  • dreamerman
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2009
    • Sydney

Not sure if my issue is the same as yours but my diesel dual cab used to suffer from "hesitation" upon take off (sometimes, not all the time) and exhaust smoke. I asked my mechanic and he said it has to do with dirty diesel fuel clogging up somewhere. He asked me to put in strong diesel cleaner and take a long drive to flush out the dirt. I bought the most expensive one I can find in Supercheap and took a trip to MEL. Been ok since Dec until I sold the dual cab recently.
    03/19 MY18 Pajero NX GLX Graphite | KUMHO AT51 265/65R17 | Ultragauge MX v1.4 | AEM GPS Speedometer | Yakima Platform on OCAM Backbone | OEM Tow Bar | KAON Internal Rear Roof Shelf | ARB Smartbar

Comment

• justcruizin
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2008
      • Brisbane

Could also be turbo lag caused by a small vacuum leak.
      08 NS 25th Anniversary Limited Edition DID Auto, MM TBar, TJM T13 Bar, Airtec Snorkel, Redarc Dual battery, ORU 12000lb rope winch, Bushskinz Full Bash Plate set, Uniden UHF, Narva 175 spots, HD(F) & SD(R) Lovells, Bilsteins, Dynapro ATs, Diff and trans breathers, Poly Airs, Ridge Rider Awning, Eagle Camper Trailer, Engel 40 lt, Waeco CF110

Comment

• Having Fun
        • Jun 2015
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by justcruizin View Post
        Could also be turbo lag caused by a small vacuum leak.

Just asking, but wouldn't turbo lag be there 100% of the time in that scenario?

Comment

• Having Fun
          • Jun 2015
          • Adelaide

Originally posted by Silverfox View Post
          All
          Some assistance as to a problem I have had over the last few days. So car starts up ok and as normal, driving is normal but when I’m about 5 kms into a 7/8 km trip and this only happens on take of from lights the car “hesitates” when trying to take off.
          Only happens for a few seconds but then all is OK and the car drives as normal in every way, no hesitation when driving at all.

Not sure how to describe the “hesitation” but it is like what many of us have experienced with the SCV except this only happens on initial take off from a stand still and does not happen once the car is moving.

Any thoughts on what this might be would be appreciated.

Oh and its a Diesel.

Cheers
          Fox

Check the small stuff first, I'd check that your fuel & air filters are clean.

Comment

• justcruizin
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2008
            • Brisbane

Originally posted by Having Fun View Post
            Just asking, but wouldn't turbo lag be there 100% of the time in that scenario?
            Mine does it occasionally, not all of the time. If it has only just started doing this, I would be looking for a vacuum leak somewhere. Or turbo boost solenoid. Just throwing a few suggestions out there.
            08 NS 25th Anniversary Limited Edition DID Auto, MM TBar, TJM T13 Bar, Airtec Snorkel, Redarc Dual battery, ORU 12000lb rope winch, Bushskinz Full Bash Plate set, Uniden UHF, Narva 175 spots, HD(F) & SD(R) Lovells, Bilsteins, Dynapro ATs, Diff and trans breathers, Poly Airs, Ridge Rider Awning, Eagle Camper Trailer, Engel 40 lt, Waeco CF110

Comment

• Silverfox
              • Apr 2010
              • Adelaide

Thanks to all for your comments, much appreciated.

Since I posted the "hesitation' has not happened again.

Strange, so I think I will sit and wait to see if it happens again.

Cheers

Comment

• Silverfox
                • Apr 2010
                • Adelaide

Ok so the hesitation started again. Was really bad at one point.
                So changed the fuel filter, problem still going.
                My mechanic had a spare boost solenoid so he hooked that up, was ok for a few days and the hesitation happened again this morning.
                Is this likely to be the SCV?
                Any other suggestions.

What I should also mention is that sometimes when starting in the morning it revs really high then comes good after a few seconds to normal rev/idle speed

Cheers

Comment

• Seigried
                  Valued Member
                  • Apr 2016
                  • brisbane

What have you tried so far to fix the problem?

Also just thinking out loud,if it is a fuel blockage before the filter a new filter will stop contaminants reaching the pump. But wont help if there is an issue in the tank or lines.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Comment

• nj swb
                    Resident
                    • Jun 2007
                    • Adelaide

What I should also mention is that sometimes when starting in the morning it revs really high then comes good after a few seconds to normal rev/idle speed
                    Long shot, but could it be your MAF playing up? If the ECU thinks the engine has a different amount of air to what is actually flowing, it could be a mis-fuelling problem? Unplug, remove, spray with proper MAF cleaner, reinstall.

Similarly if your MAP sensor is partially blocked - do you know the condition of your intake manifold? Check the condition of the port on the manifold, inspect the hose to the sensor.

The screen in your tank could be responsible for the hesitation, but I'm not sure how it could cause high revving?

Of course, they could also be completely separate issues.
                    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Silverfox
                      • Apr 2010
                      • Adelaide

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                      Long shot, but could it be your MAF playing up? If the ECU thinks the engine has a different amount of air to what is actually flowing, it could be a mis-fuelling problem? Unplug, remove, spray with proper MAF cleaner, reinstall.

Similarly if your MAP sensor is partially blocked - do you know the condition of your intake manifold? Check the condition of the port on the manifold, inspect the hose to the sensor.

The screen in your tank could be responsible for the hesitation, but I'm not sure how it could cause high revving?

Of course, they could also be completely separate issues.

It's happened a few more times over the weekend but no where as bad as before.
                      I'll give the MAF a clean as you have suggested.

Dumb question where is the MAP sensor located and what does it look like?

Intake manifold was changed to the NT version at around 55k Paj has just clicked over 90k.

I'll do the sensors first and see how that goes and probably some injector cleaner as well, also get the vacuum hoses checked at the same time.

Is it possible its a faulty or fouled SCV?

Cheers for the suggestions.

Comment

• Fbo974
                        • Apr 2019
                        • Reunion Island

had the same problem months ago , did the scv cleaning works better until sometimes , engine turn off when gearbox passes from 2nd to 3rd gear ........
                        and I found this...........

the previous owner told me that the fuel filter was not old ........

after filter change and scv relearn , it's night and day , the cars works great and better , I took time to find the dysfunction, due to several small problems successively finally

Comment

• Fbo974
                          • Apr 2019
                          • Reunion Island

Intake manifold was changed to the NT version at around 55k Paj has just clicked over 90k.

What is different between the NS/NT intake manifold please ?

Comment

• Patagonia
                            Valued Member
                            • Dec 2009
                            • Santiago, Chile!!!!!

The outlet for the MAP sensor hose is on the upper side on the NT manifold so it keeps it cleaner.
                            If you google ns manifold photos you will find photos marking the difference, they are from a forum thread from a couple of years ago.
                            2000 SWB NL 3.5 SOHC V6 AT.
                            Adjustable suspension, Rear Locker, Suspension Seats, Cruise Control, 8500 Lbs winch, all factory fitted.
                            31x10.5R15 Pirelli ATR?s and forever thinking on the lift.
                            2009 SWB NS 3.2 DOHC DID AT 265/70/17 BFG AT/KO, OME SD Springs +4 Rear locker, 8.500 Lbs Winch...new toy!!!

Comment

• Stoneman
                              Valued Member
                              • Jul 2012
                              • Melbourne

Have you got a scan gauge?

i would be cleaning your throttle connector at the throttle body to start with

to me it sounds like and issue with your foot throttle sensor or throttle body

may even be vacuum related where the solenoid playing up

i dont really play around with them anymore, if your local id be happy to have a look and plug the mut up and check some things
                              NS Pajero Exceed. With stuff

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X