• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hill
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2007
    • Adelaide

Response from Donaldson re Berrima You Tube Clip

Berrima Diesel posted a YouTube video re P551615 3 micron 99% efficiency filter re overspray.

I indicated that I would contact Donaldson for a response.

The following information was provided by Bruce Evans | Product Manager
    Donaldson Australasia Pty Ltd.

Re: Overspray in the drain valve area.

Yes, this is overspray. When we manufacture the P551615 3um filter (in a Donaldson owned and operated factory!) all the metal components are put through a washing process immediately prior to assembly. This ensures the filter is spotlessly clean, the media potting compound (glue) bonds to the end caps correctly and the filtering media is not contaminated in any way. The final processes are to paint the filter then fit the drain valve. In the past, some of the paint did enter the drain valve port and settled inside the thread and onto the bottom of the closed end of the media pack.
    It is important to note this is where much of the larger the separated particulate and all the water will end up as it passes into the bowl. The fuel here is not in the flow path and virtually none of the overspray will ever reach the outer “dirty” side of the filter media, and certainly not get into the clean “inner” side of the filter.
    Having said that, we have our engineers working on improving our manufacturing process to eliminate this overspray. This process is still ongoing, and we expect this to be completely resolved shortly.
    What really matters is the cleanliness of the fuel leaving the filter. Our filter states that it removes 3um particles at 99% efficiency, and we stand by that specification.

Bruce also indicated that Donaldson’s Managing Director has extended an invitation to Berrima Diesel to visit the Wyong manufacturing facility to show how Donaldson filters are manufactured, and the continual improvement and quality processes used, both here, and in Donaldson manufacturing facilities. The invitation has not been accepted.

As stated previously I have no connection to Donaldson

Hill
    200 Series
    AOR Quantum 4
  • Dicko1
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2014
    • Cairns, FNQ

I noticed the spray on a couple of spares I have. Not concerned at all as Donaldson have an excellent reputation and the slight overspray is not in the flow area of the filter. Good info though Hill.
    Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• jkwpajero
      • Jun 2008
      • Young, NSW

Well you learn something new every day. I was not aware that Donaldson had an Australian manufacturing facility. I did know that Donaldson manufactured in Mexico and assumed that Australian filters were imported. I would hope that once faults were raised with any manufacturer that improvements to the process would be implemented. If any further information is known re this situation I would be glad to read about it. I had struck Donaldson off the list due to the Berrima Diesel video, and I would think that a number of others would have also made that decision. Still not 100% convinced that the quality of the kit is to my liking, being a pedantic old fart.

James
      2014 NW VR-X, with a few modifications and an Automate fitted Driving Pajero number three.

Comment

• Hill
        Valued Member
        • Sep 2007
        • Adelaide

Just fitted a ....615 replacement filter and it is certainly manufactured in Mexico

Unsure what filters are manufactured at Wyong.

Hill
        200 Series
        AOR Quantum 4

Comment

• jkwpajero
          • Jun 2008
          • Young, NSW

Maybe the kits are just assembled from imported parts and packed in Wyong for shipment. It would be nice to have a definitive answer from Donaldson.

James
          2014 NW VR-X, with a few modifications and an Automate fitted Driving Pajero number three.

Comment

• Hill
            Valued Member
            • Sep 2007
            • Adelaide

I suspect if filters indicates made in mexico then it is.

Hill
            200 Series
            AOR Quantum 4

Comment

• jkwpajero
              • Jun 2008
              • Young, NSW

Originally posted by Hill View Post
              I suspect if filters indicates made in mexico then it is.

Hill
              100%, but the question is what do Donaldson actually manufacturer in Wyong then, as mentioned in the original post?

James

Comment

• Hill
                Valued Member
                • Sep 2007
                • Adelaide

Originally posted by jkwpajero View Post
                100%, but the question is what do Donaldson actually manufacturer in Wyong then, as mentioned in the original post?

James
                Agree; Good question

Hill
                200 Series
                AOR Quantum 4

Comment

• Dicko1
                  Valued Member
                  • Dec 2014
                  • Cairns, FNQ

James

I suspect that Wyong is only a head -office with the ability to demonstrate how their filters are manufactured, specifications, transporting, availabilty, models etc.etc. If you want to see how a Porche is manufactured I have a video here in Cairns if you want an invite....thats probably how it works.

Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• jkwpajero
                    • Jun 2008
                    • Young, NSW

The way I see this situation as per the thread title is this. Berrima Diesel posted a YouTube clip pointing out that Donaldson filters have a quality issue. And people can make up their own mind on the matter but the video could harm Donaldson's reputation. Although having things made in Mexico is not what Donald "The Trump" wants. Donaldson Australia replied with a pretty standard response. I reckon the actual facts of the matter are somewhere between what is shown in the video and the PR reply.

James

Comment

• craka
                      Valued Member
                      • Jun 2009
                      • Newcastle (Newie)

I know there is some sort of processing or production facility at Wyong, it quite a large place. To the extent of what it does I do not know.
                      NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                        Valued Member
                        • Aug 2016
                        • Greater Sydney

The way I see this situation as per the thread title is this. Berrima Diesel posted a YouTube clip pointing out that Donaldson filters have a quality issue. And people can make up their own mind on the matter but the video could harm Donaldson's reputation. Although having things made in Mexico is not what Donald "The Trump" wants. Donaldson Australia replied with a pretty standard response. I reckon the actual facts of the matter are somewhere between what is shown in the video and the PR reply.

James

Show me which company doesn't have a quality control issue. Yep even Berrima Diesel.

Comment

• Hill
                          Valued Member
                          • Sep 2007
                          • Adelaide

Had a look at my latest Donaldson filter kit.

All filters are manufactured in Indonesia.

Donaldson are an international company so it is reasonable for filters to be sourced from around the world at a competitive price.

My take on the Berrima clip is that is is scare mongering. As Bruce stated in original response they stand by their claim of 3 micron 99%. ( or words to that effect)

Anyway I'm off to NT and WA in a few days time for around 3 months.

Hill
                          200 Series
                          AOR Quantum 4

Comment

• Dicko1
                            Valued Member
                            • Dec 2014
                            • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Hill View Post
                            Had a look at my latest Donaldson filter kit.

All filters are manufactured in Indonesia.

Donaldson are an international company so it is reasonable for filters to be sourced from around the world at a competitive price.

My take on the Berrima clip is that is is scare mongering. As Bruce stated in original response they stand by their claim of 3 micron 99%. ( or words to that effect)

Anyway I'm off to NT and WA in a few days time for around 3 months.

Hill

Hope your Donaldson doesnt fill with paint and seize up....lol Enjoy the trip
                            Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• Hill
                              Valued Member
                              • Sep 2007
                              • Adelaide

Thanks Dicko.

I must take you up on your offer of a beer one of these days. Savannah way will make a great Adelaide winter escape.

Hill
                              200 Series
                              AOR Quantum 4

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X