• Show
Clear All
  • AndyNH91
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2012
    • Adelaide Hills

Low hanging lpg tank

Hi Guys and Gals,

I want to swap the underfloor mount on my lpg tank so that the tank sits higher. There's plenty of space above the tank (55mm between the tank mount frame and the lowest beam in the floor). Currently the bottom of the lpg tank sits below the diff pumpkin, which in my opinion is unsuitable for offroad use.

I've found http://www.bluelpg.com.au that sells lpg tank mounts. Are there others businesses that sell lpg tank mounts. They don't necessarily need to be online. Just considering my options.

Cheers,
    Andrew

MQ Triton GLX+ dual cab ute, EGR canopy, roof vent, tubliner and towbar. 6 speed manual, almost stock

Treg 1.5T Offroad Trailer with Polyblock Hitch, genuine Pajero wheels, 2x spares, Cooper 31" ATRs, four jerry can holders, tie down rails and soon to come tonneau cover
  • captain_paj
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2012
    • Logan QLD

Mate I have an 81L water capacity LPG tank under the back of my NJ and it doesn't sit below the pumpkin height. What you are saying doesn't make much sense.

Admittedly it was different before I added the raised rear springs - but still it wasn't as bad as you.

Now I've raised my body by 50mm I have 50mm more room to raise my tank. As soon as I can weld half decent it's getting a raise.

Even if you find someone who sells brackets, how do you know they will be any different from what you have now? Wouldn't you have to have them modified anyway?

Some brackets could be remounted ie say mine sits under the chassis rails and has bolts going over the rails. Can you shift the bracket to sit on the TOP of the rail? I can't in mine without mods, as the chassis rail is more than 50mm high so shifting to the top wouldn't work as I wouldn't have room before hitting the body.

I'm actually keeping my eye out for a cheap scuba style setup but of not ill resling the tank, or find a big doughnut tank to replace mine maybe...

If you get 48L LPG capacity, this is about what a doughnut tank should give you so maybe this would be an option?

New the tanks are expensive but S/H you can get them dirt cheap with at least 5 years on them...
    1994 NJ GLS Auto, 3.0 LPG, 31s, HD springs, 50mm body lift, Firestone rear air bags

1993 NH GLS Manual, 3.0 LPG, 31s, Iron Man Torsion and Coils, Lovells Shocks, 30mm body lift, Manual Hubs, Extractors and god awful droning 2.5" exhaust

Comment

• captain_paj
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2012
      • Logan QLD

BTW the tanks are mad tough with a bash plate fitted - believe me I know

Freaks me out though and one day I'll drive over something and leave my tank behind dragging by the hose...Which is why I want to raise/replace it
      1994 NJ GLS Auto, 3.0 LPG, 31s, HD springs, 50mm body lift, Firestone rear air bags

1993 NH GLS Manual, 3.0 LPG, 31s, Iron Man Torsion and Coils, Lovells Shocks, 30mm body lift, Manual Hubs, Extractors and god awful droning 2.5" exhaust

Comment

• Goodsy
        Who ya gunna call....
        • Dec 2010
        • Hervey Bay

I remember during a boys weekend the old man put a lovely convex shape in the rear floor of our NG Superwagon on Zeka Spur track.
        The gas tank was now 2 inches higher. Thanks how much the rear floor came up.
        We all looked at each other. No need to tell mum. Found a half sleeper and put it in the back at the top of the "mount" and bashed it down with river rocks.

The perfect crime.
        .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
        NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

• captain_paj
          Valued Member
          • Jan 2012
          • Logan QLD

Originally posted by Goodsy View Post
          I remember during a boys weekend the old man put a lovely convex shape in the rear floor of our NG Superwagon on Zeka Spur track.
          The gas tank was now 2 inches higher. Thanks how much the rear floor came up.
          We all looked at each other. No need to tell mum. Found a half sleeper and put it in the back at the top of the "mount" and bashed it down with river rocks.

The perfect crime.
          The perfect testament to the strength of an LPG tank

Ah - that special bond father and son build when they hide something from Mum...A tradition proudly handed from generation to generation...I hand to to my son as well.

Of course he has Aspergers so he can't hide it from her and I get in the shit anyway

Comment

• t-rex1995
            Valued Member
            • Oct 2011
            • Imbil Via Gympie QLD

my LPG tank is the same as captainpaj it sits just above the pumpkin
            must be the way people mount them
            Formely 93 NH Pajero LWB, 3.0L V6 NOW OWN 2004 GU Patrol Wagon T/Diesel 3LT
            WITH 4'' TOUGHDOG SUSPENSION, FULL 3'' TBE, EGT & BOOST GAUGE 33'' MUDDIES, 21'' LED LIGHT BAR

Comment

• my.paj
              • Dec 2010
              • Tullamarine

I had this problem with mine when I brought it, found out the tank was installed with a universal bracket, so went to gas fitter (mate) who said I need the correct bracket he ordered it I fitted it WOW cant hardly see it now, the bracket came this this place http://www.sprintgas.com.au/home_page.html
              Rick
              Old, NP Exceed 3.5 petrol, ARB Bull bar, Warn winch, Bush Skinz Bash plates ,2inch lift, Safari Snorkel. ***Now Sold***
              New, RG Colorado Dual Cab Tray

Comment

• AndyNH91
                Valued Member
                • Apr 2012
                • Adelaide Hills

I'll take a photo of the tank through the wheel arch and it'll make sense to you. Well, as much sense as it can make... (I don't know what the installer was thinking)

Seriously, you'd think the tank would be mounted pretty much against the underside of the floor. But no, there's about 60-70mm vertical between the highest point of the cylinder and the underside of the floor. You could park a ferrari in there!
                Andrew

MQ Triton GLX+ dual cab ute, EGR canopy, roof vent, tubliner and towbar. 6 speed manual, almost stock

Treg 1.5T Offroad Trailer with Polyblock Hitch, genuine Pajero wheels, 2x spares, Cooper 31" ATRs, four jerry can holders, tie down rails and soon to come tonneau cover

Comment

• my.paj
                  • Dec 2010
                  • Tullamarine

The top of my tank would be about 50mm from the rear floor.
                  Rick
                  Old, NP Exceed 3.5 petrol, ARB Bull bar, Warn winch, Bush Skinz Bash plates ,2inch lift, Safari Snorkel. ***Now Sold***
                  New, RG Colorado Dual Cab Tray

Comment

• captain_paj
                    Valued Member
                    • Jan 2012
                    • Logan QLD

Originally posted by AndyNH91 View Post
                    I'll take a photo of the tank through the wheel arch and it'll make sense to you. Well, as much sense as it can make... (I don't know what the installer was thinking)

Seriously, you'd think the tank would be mounted pretty much against the underside of the floor. But no, there's about 60-70mm vertical between the highest point of the cylinder and the underside of the floor. You could park a ferrari in there!
                    That's atrocious! Slack lazy installer.

I would love to see how the tank bracket attaches to the chassis rails. You might just be able to put them on top of the rails to raise it 60mm or a bit more...

Comment

• captain_paj
                      Valued Member
                      • Jan 2012
                      • Logan QLD

Originally posted by my.paj View Post
                      The top of my tank would be about 50mm from the rear floor.
                      Rick
                      Exactly the same as mine, with the body lift in place. Before the body lift it was snug against the body.

Comment

• AndyNH91
                        Valued Member
                        • Apr 2012
                        • Adelaide Hills

Pics added

I've taken some pics around the vehicle so you can see how the vehicle sits on its suspension, the postion of the tank from the rear, and a couple of views of the tank from inside the left and right wheel arches.
                        Attached Files
                        Andrew

Comment

• AndyNH91
                          Valued Member
                          • Apr 2012
                          • Adelaide Hills

Captain Paj, I'd modify it myself but I'm not that confident in my welding skills just yet. All my welds are pretty brittle at the moment. More practice required. But yes, when I get it right, perhaps I will mod the gas tank frame I have.

It would be great having a chassis mounted frame, I think it would be much stronger. My tank frame is bolted straight through the floor. I think it's strong enough, but if the tank gets beaten around, I don't imagine the floor will remain level for long!
                          Andrew

Comment

• captain_paj
                            Valued Member
                            • Jan 2012
                            • Logan QLD

Originally posted by AndyNH91 View Post
                            Captain Paj, I'd modify it myself but I'm not that confident in my welding skills just yet. All my welds are pretty brittle at the moment. More practice required. But yes, when I get it right, perhaps I will mod the gas tank frame I have.

It would be great having a chassis mounted frame, I think it would be much stronger. My tank frame is bolted straight through the floor. I think it's strong enough, but if the tank gets beaten around, I don't imagine the floor will remain level for long!
                            Look with that design of bracket I would be TERRIFIED of doing it myself even after learning how to weld decently...and right now I can't weld to save my own life!

Man that sucks you have a bracket like that. You have a yummy shorty and an LPG tank that would barely clear a speed bump

I would love to have SVI like you though...

Man that really SUCKS that the tank is mounted like that - especially given its mounted to the body.

Even with moving it up, it will still be low. Are you averse to a suspension lift and body lift?

Comment

• AndyNH91
                              Valued Member
                              • Apr 2012
                              • Adelaide Hills

Well, I'll try Sprint Autogas first and see what type of mount they can do.

The other thing I might try with the existing mount is to replace the bent struts with flat ones and bolt them straight through the floor. It should simplify the welding task and it would mean that I wouldn't have to bend metal. I would have insert some spacers (15-20mm) to allow the new frame to clear the reinforcing strut in the floor but this is entirely possible.

So that will get the tank up about 2" from where it sits today.

Beyond that modification I'll either be relying on the strength of the tank or I'll need to do a body lift / suspension lift to get the extra clearance. But there's a lot of work in one of those so I'm going to take it one step at a time!
                              Andrew

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X