Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Where the rubber hits the road.

Where the rubber hits the road. Discussion about drive train; (locking) diffs; wheels; hubs; suspension and, of course, tyres

Old 23-04-09

Thumbs up I'm confused

Giday all
I'm confused! A/Ts, S/Ts, BFGs, COOPERS, M/Ts BLTs, can anyone explain the difference please, I'm about to start looking for a set of something, hopefully tyres. Main use is on road with a bit of everthing else, go camping alot and always try to find somwhere to play, also just sent of my application to join the CLUB, so will be doing a bit more.

regards

KIRKY
Built 3/3/03 arrived home 3/3/06 slow but steady, all lit up behind. Also adopted a 2010 Triton GLX-R DID ALL NEW SO NO TOUCH YET. At home 20 ft. Coromal van with full ensuite and off road pack. Onyx blue 2016 Land Cruiser Sahara, V8 diesel, waiting in the blocks to burst out.
Old 23-04-09
Valued Member

G'day Kirky,

Firsty some of those names are tyre companies/manufactures and the others are tyre type/tread patten.

Some popular 4WD tyre manufactures include: Cooper, BF Goodrich (BGF), Mickey Thompson (MT) These three brands along with Bridgestone are prob the most trusted (and expensive) 4WD tyres.

Types of tread pattens for 4WD tyres include Highway Terrain (H/T) All Terrain (A/T) Mud Terrain (M/T)

Apart from that some tyre makers have slightly different name for tread pattens. Cooper make an A/T called ATR and also a more agressive A/T called a Sure Trac (S/T). Mickey Thompson have an agressive A/T called an ATZ. Each brand has their own names for differnt tyres, but most fit into these main categories.

IMO from what you said the type that would suit you best would be a normal All Terrain.
Silver NM Pajero 3.5L Auto. ARB bullbar, Opposite Lock Rear bar, Front Lokka, Uniden UHF, Bilstein shocks, Lovells HD coils, TJM OX 9500lb Winch, Snorkel, 33" BFG KM2's on 16x8 Advanti Rims, Custom bash plate, Cargo Barrier, Lightforce 170s, Rhino Pioneer Platform, Ironman Awning, Duel battery system.
Old 23-04-09
"valued 3000+ member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapcatcher View Post
G'day Kirky,

Firsty some of those names are tyre companies/manufactures and the others are tyre type/tread patten.

Some popular 4WD tyre manufactures include: Cooper, BF Goodrich (BFG), Mickey Thompson (MT) These three brands along with Bridgestone are prob the most trusted (and expensive) 4WD tyres.

Types of tread pattens for 4WD tyres include Highway Terrain (H/T) All Terrain (A/T) Mud Terrain (M/T)

Apart from that some tyre makers have slightly different name for tread pattens. Cooper make an A/T called ATR and also a more agressive A/T called a Sure Trac (S/T). Mickey Thompson have an agressive A/T called an ATZ. Each brand has their own names for differnt tyres, but most fit into these main categories.

IMO from what you said the type that would suit you best would be a normal All Terrain.
what he said, but make sure you get BFG AT's at least 32s or bigger as well lol

'89 NG Paj, 3L V6, now running 2" suspension lift, 33" Micky T Baja Claws's, Front LOKKA & 12,000lb winch
Old 24-04-09
Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerboy View Post
what he said, but make sure you get BFG AT's at least 32s or bigger as well lol
BFG ATs are good for light beer drinkers.

As has been pointed out, tyres are generally classified as H/T (Highway Terrain), A/T (All Terrain), M/T (Mud Terrain) or hardcore (for want of a better word.)

Some manufacturers classify their tyres as H/T or A/T, but (for me) the line between A/T and M/T has blurred significantly.

Traditional BFG A/T and M/T tyres are good, but they're no longer the clear leaders that they once were - and I believe they're over-priced, as has been suggested elsewhere. BF Goodrich no longer make tyres - the tyres are now made by Michelin, and there's some evidence to suggest quality has suffered in the transition.

Goodyear also make some good 4wd tyres, with the original MT/R (Maximum Traction/Reinforced) being a trend-setter. A (radical) replacement has recently been released, and it's not proven yet.

Cooper are a smaller company, and a brand which people either love or hate - the latter group seems predominant here. They grip well, and generally wear well, but a number of people have had problems with unacceptable failures.

Toyo make a respected A/T & M/T, and Pirelli A/T has had some good reviews in magazines. Mickey Thompson & ProComp are another two brands worth considering, although they are manufactured by Cooper - make of that what you will.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box
Old 24-04-09

I have been using BFGs for 20 years or more. Still using them for mud tyres but for A/T I am now using Maxxis and am very happy with them. I will definately buy them again.
Old 24-04-09
Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errol View Post
I have been using BFGs for 20 years or more. Still using them for mud tyres but for A/T I am now using Maxxis and am very happy with them. I will definately buy them again.
You should see how he drives!

"Errol Endorsed" is good!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box
Old 26-04-09

Send a message via MSN to tinks

You will find lots and lots of differing opinions on tyres amongst forum members, it really comes down to what you want them for and how much you will use them off road, whether you are new to 4wd or experienced. From what I can gather an A/T tyre is a good place to start, just a matter of chosing what brand you want, this decision may end up being made on price if you have a tight budget. Amongst my friends they have all different types of tyres and are all happy with what they have, I guess its a bit like a difference between types of 4wds some like paj's some like pwados or poohtrols lol lol. You will love the club, its very friendly and a good member base, meetings are interesting too and they organise a lot of trips and have some great training courses. Dont forget to come see us at Yea for the clubs 4wd expo 16th and 17th May should be a good weekend!!
Tinks :-)
Old 26-04-09
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinks View Post
Dont forget to come see us at Yea for the clubs 4wd expo 16th and 17th May should be a good weekend!!
Tinks :-)
That it will be Tinks .
Although others might not agree I still believe the BFG A/T is a good allrounder to start with. Although certainly not the cheapest I have heard and seen some good wear figures on these tyres. Providing you don't expect miracles in the mud the BFG should serve you well.
End of the day if it all comes down to the dollar go with what your budget will allow. I had a NS come with us over Easter on road tyres and did a track that I thought would really do the job on them. They were half worn and could have put a left knacker on them getting cut through the sidewall. They survived with no problems but we did have two all terrains on different vehicles get punctures over the weekend.
Dave
Old 27-04-09

Giday all
thanks for all the help, as you have said, it comes down to $ and personal likes and dislikes
so I'm still looking. would luv to come on that weekend, BUT the luv of my life and my better half (not sure which is which) are going for a GIRLS weekend away. the only way the girls will get dirty is if it rains. (not sure which is which again).

Regards
Kirky
Built 3/3/03 arrived home 3/3/06 slow but steady, all lit up behind. Also adopted a 2010 Triton GLX-R DID ALL NEW SO NO TOUCH YET. At home 20 ft. Coromal van with full ensuite and off road pack. Onyx blue 2016 Land Cruiser Sahara, V8 diesel, waiting in the blocks to burst out.