Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Fuel and fuel systems

Fuel and fuel systems Petrol vs Diesel, LPG Conversions, premium fuels, and all that gas

Old 03-08-15
Valued Member

How effective is the stock filter at protecting from water and contamination? Other brands seem to have water traps you can drain but not the challenger.

I'm considering getting a good 2nd filter as when I got some warranty work done last week the service manager stated up front that if it looks like bad fuel is the problem then warranty is not valid.
Old 03-08-15
Valued Member

I've experienced four fill-ups from a country petrol station that have had enough dirt to destroy the transfer pump on my auxiliary tank and fill the in-line filter with crud. Any dirt that managed to get through is now in my OEM filter which is due to be changed in the next few weeks. I'm glad I have the secondary Fuel Manager filter system in place - definitely piece of mind.

I have a friend who experienced his engine shut down after filling up in the metro area. On checking his fuel system he found that he'd picked up a tank full of rubbish which clogged his OEM filter and cut off the fuel supply. Luckily he also had a secondary filter which stopped anything reaching his injectors. This was on a 200 Series, but the picture is the same with any CRD engine.

A while back there were plenty of cases mentioned on Exploroz, might be there if you do a search. As you say, not many Pajero's, but I reckon I came close.
NOW SOLD: NW MY2014 VRX 3.2 Diesel Auto, Rhino Rack Roof Rack, Sandgrabber Floor Mats, Safari Snorkel, Warn XP9.5S Winch, ARB Bull Bar, Bushskinz Underbody Protection, Lovells HD Springs, Bilstein Shocks, Firestone Airbags, Off Road Systems Rear Shelf, Boab 40Lt Water Tank, Cooper LT265/65x17 ST-Maxx Tyres, Uniden 7760 UHF Radio, LRA 58LT Long Range Tank, ARB Intensity Spotlights, Redarc BCDC Dual Battery System, Taipan XP 3in Exhaust System, Recaro Seats.
Old 03-08-15
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodsy View Post
This event made the news about a month ago (maybe less). Was it that one?
Cars and 4x4's all on the side of the road on the highway a few k's from the servo.
No is a different one, that was in Sydney, this one was in melbourne and got about 20 cars,the site shut everything down really quickly once they got the first report back and as it was malicious damage by a third party I won't name and shame because it wasn't there fault but the fuel company is wearing the repairs.
Current vehicles: 1995 3.5l nj Pajero x 2, 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 Jeep Patriot, 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495
Currently wrecking nh gls lwb, nh gl pov pack, 2 x nj gls lwb nl lwb, NH glx manual, 92 L300 delica
Old 03-08-15
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemc181 View Post
At least one thread on here from the UAE regarding contaminated fuel.
http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=19430
Hmm a bad result, but not the complete train wreck of a Parado contamination. It must have got a huge dose of water and dirt. A second filter would have been a cheaper solution in this case. Thanks Steve for our first confirmed.
2013 NW GLX-R Factory Locker, TC mod,Dual Battery, 240V inverter, Anderson Plug, Fire Extinguisher. GME TX3500 UHF Radio, MM Alloy Bar, ORU 12000lb Winch,EGR mod, Fancy wheels, 33" Pirelli ATR Tyres, LRA Aux tank, Custom bash plates & Rock sliders, Ultra Gauge, ARB Compressor, LED Light bar, little mods around the cabin. Kings Std Ratecoils & Ultimate Shocks, Firestone HP airbags, Airteck Snorkel, Hema 6. Towing: Starcraft outback
Old 07-08-15
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovingman View Post
I have read nearly every post on this forum and i have not come across a forum member having an engine issue with contaminated diesel.
Thanks Rovingman, this confirms my belief that the Pajero system is more tolerant than some of the others, that said it appears its still a great idea to have the 2nd filter, especially if in remote areas where failing to proceed is a lot more than an inconvenience.
2013 NW GLX-R Factory Locker, TC mod,Dual Battery, 240V inverter, Anderson Plug, Fire Extinguisher. GME TX3500 UHF Radio, MM Alloy Bar, ORU 12000lb Winch,EGR mod, Fancy wheels, 33" Pirelli ATR Tyres, LRA Aux tank, Custom bash plates & Rock sliders, Ultra Gauge, ARB Compressor, LED Light bar, little mods around the cabin. Kings Std Ratecoils & Ultimate Shocks, Firestone HP airbags, Airteck Snorkel, Hema 6. Towing: Starcraft outback
Old 07-08-15

In my last car (a Patrol) we picked up a bad dose of fuel at a truck stop somewhere between Woomera & Broken Hills. It stoped me cold in about 100km.. I emptied the fuel filter 2 or 3 times & limped into the next town... I mean limped.

The question I have is the drain is almost impossible to operate on the pajero with the second battery there... I have done it a few times at home to test it... I have to remove the filter & turn it sideways to open the drain... not happy at all as this process should be done in its vertical position... Anyone found a better way to open the drain?
Old 07-08-15
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo2 View Post
Thanks Rovingman, this confirms my belief that the Pajero system is more tolerant than some of the others, that said it appears its still a great idea to have the 2nd filter, especially if in remote areas where failing to proceed is a lot more than an inconvenience.
And its a cheap mod. If i can do it anyone can.
Dark tint: Driftadraws:bushskinz set:tough dog lift:50lt waeco:MSA drop down slide: optima 66AH blue top: oricom cb:GME antenna:120w solar:narva 170 lights:hayman reese brake controller:18/265/65 BFG's :roof basket & bag:SPV MK3.1:ARB compressor: Donaldson fuel filter:breathers:Redarc 40amp:century 120AH dual batt: Blue tongue offroad trekka camper trailer :2016 winch n bar Airtek snorkel
LIVING THE DREAM!! My Build http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=44476
Old 07-08-15
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by p12345 View Post
In my last car (a Patrol) we picked up a bad dose of fuel at a truck stop somewhere between Woomera & Broken Hills. It stoped me cold in about 100km.. I emptied the fuel filter 2 or 3 times & limped into the next town... I mean limped.

The question I have is the drain is almost impossible to operate on the pajero with the second battery there... I have done it a few times at home to test it... I have to remove the filter & turn it sideways to open the drain... not happy at all as this process should be done in its vertical position... Anyone found a better way to open the drain?
Sorry to say it but... yes, there is an easy solution - a different brand of battery tray. I have an ARB dual battery tray and the fuel filter drain is easily acceseable in situ (without having to remove the filter). I have personally opened the drain on mine several times without any hassle.

| ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | airbags | Cooper AT3 LT's | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank in rear seat well | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')