Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Fuel and fuel systems

Fuel and fuel systems Petrol vs Diesel, LPG Conversions, premium fuels, and all that gas

Old 11-07-15

Quote:
Originally Posted by basil View Post
I have been using the CEM fuel enhancer for about 6 months now, and you can definetly feel and hear the difference by using it...
Cheers,

I've been getting some occasional puffs of black smoke out of the exhaust. I've never used an additive but am now thinking about this product.
Do you buy direct from CEM online?

Smartbar | Pioneer BT/GPS Stereo | General AT LT 265/70/16 | Bonnet Protector | BTA HD Tow Bar | Rhino Sportz Roof Rails | Roof Basket | Sunseeker Awning | Thomas Air Compressor | ARB Dual Battery Kit | 2 Inch West Coast HD Suspension | Reversing Sensors | 22" Light Bar | BD Intercooler Bash Plate and Sump Guard | Boo's Transmission Guard | Roley's Skid Plate | Airtec Snorkel | Bushskinz Sliders | HPD Catch Can

My Pajero Build Page
Old 11-07-15

I have always bought over the phone so I don't know if you can buy over the net, but I would be amazed if you couldn't.
I would be interested in any findings after using it.

Cheers,
Old 12-07-15

Quote:
Originally Posted by basil View Post
I have always bought over the phone so I don't know if you can buy over the net, but I would be amazed if you couldn't.
I would be interested in any findings after using it.

Cheers,
I bought it over the net - free delivery

I've only used it a couple of times so far - not sure about it yet but I don't think it quietens the engine as much as 2T oil - I'm presently trying marine 2 stroke (ashless) TC-W3 certified - certainly quieter running at 1:200 mix - I thought this stuff was worth a shot - A TC-W3 oil rated well in diesel additive tests and as 2 stroke outboards can be fuel injected I thought it would be a better match than a standard JASO FC class 2 stroke oil - Who really knows..??

I'll probably switch between the oil and the CEM in alternate tankfuls to play safe - maybe the CEM will clear any zinc deposits on injectors which ....may....be left by the oil EDIT - Apparently TC-W3 oil has no metal additives (=no zinc I presume)- that must be a bonus

Last edited by eucyblues; 12-07-15 at 06:48 PM.
Old 14-07-15
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eucyblues View Post
Yeah - I know I sounded like a schoolgirl but I was gobsmacked...

The quieter engine wasn't immediately noticed - it just crept up on me as I was driving - I was with my daughter and we were talking as we went along so it was some k's into the trip before I took notice...then the gauge numbers started dropping....

Time will tell of course

In terms of cost - well I don't expect to use both at the same time - it was just a matter of timing that it ocurred like that - The Lucas stuff is $20/litre and treats 600L - so say $3 per tank

The CEM is expensive $54 per 250ml - but the dose is only 10mls per 80L - so it's cheaper than the Lucas per tank at about $2 - I'm neutral when it comes to these things but I'll give them a go - and the CEM stuff had some positive comments from a couple of people on this forum

I used to sometimes add racing 2 stroke to the old NP - that's $13/L (down to $10 or so if you buy larger quantities) and @ 1:200 it was about $5 per tank but I was reading about the damage zinc can do to injectors so I looked for a replacement -

I figure I'll try the CEM alone on the next tank to see what happens

To be continued.......
Short Story Long...
I was on a Club trip heading back home, I passed a nomad, putting along, so I planted the foot to pass...the Paj bolted, but fellow club members radioed back to me that the Paj had farted black smoke a plenty, when I stuck the boot in.
They coughed and spluttered over the air to take the piss out of me...
So I got onto a veteran diesel mechanic, he said just try the CEM first, let's see what happens before we start playing with injectors and such.
So I did...I got the CEM Cleanpower.
The first tank...nothing really noticeable , then slowly I have noticed changes in the engine noise on acceleration, start up and idle..after further tanks.
The engine sounded less noisy when I drove around town..imagined it?..maybe....I didn't know.
Is this happening, so I want to believe it?
Male pride on money spent?
The jury was still out...
Then the partner noticed the quiteness a couple of weeks ago, when she was driving, she had to look down at the rev counter, to make sure the engine was going on the way to work.
That's how she explained it..a bit of "gilding the lilly", maybe, but she commented on the quiteness from when she last drove the Paj.
She was doing 80kph on the way to work and the Paj has done 128,000ks.
Then last week, I gave the Paj a decent belting, from a 50kph merging onto the Pacific Highway, I stuck the boot into it, shot up to 120kph, there seemed to be less noise from the engine, no harshness from the engine...and the acceleration was smoother.
I looked into the review mirror expecting to see a big cloud of some black smoke like my previous effort...nothing...
In my using this CEM product, there has not been any sudden earth shattering WTF changes straight away to the Paj...
In being honest, I haven't really noticed a huge change in Paj's fuel economy, it's pretty good for such a heavy vehicle anyway.
A near 2 tonne 4wd vehicle getting under 8 & 9 ltrs per 100k's, is pretty good in my eye's to start off with.
I am doing a trip to Birdsville, so I will check out the fuel economy on that trip.

I'll try the CEM oil flush, anti wear and decarbonizer gear from CEM over time, when the Paj's services are due.
I will definitely get the CEM CRD Enhancer for Common Rail Diesels, when the CEM clean power has been used up next time.

Last edited by Peterng; 14-07-15 at 12:30 AM.
Old 14-07-15

Is this the CEM stuff you're all discussing?
I like the sound of it.....
Are there any potential downsides, other than cost, in using it??

http://www.costeffective.com.au/Prod...n-rail-engines

Sam

Fuel Manager secondary fuel filter
Old 14-07-15
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eucyblues View Post
I bought it over the net - free delivery

I've only used it a couple of times so far - not sure about it yet but I don't think it quietens the engine as much as 2T oil - I'm presently trying marine 2 stroke (ashless) TC-W3 certified - certainly quieter running at 1:200 mix - I thought this stuff was worth a shot - A TC-W3 oil rated well in diesel additive tests and as 2 stroke outboards can be fuel injected I thought it would be a better match than a standard JASO FC class 2 stroke oil - Who really knows..??

I'll probably switch between the oil and the CEM in alternate tankfuls to play safe - maybe the CEM will clear any zinc deposits on injectors which ....may....be left by the oil EDIT - Apparently TC-W3 oil has no metal additives (=no zinc I presume)- that must be a bonus

Some 2 stroke 'outboard' oils can seperate in diesel 2T dosnt
Old 14-07-15
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam.cath View Post
Is this the CEM stuff you're all discussing?
I like the sound of it.....
Are there any potential downsides, other than cost, in using it??

http://www.costeffective.com.au/Prod...n-rail-engines

Sam
Yes and no. They also have the cleaner. I just bought a 250ml bottle of the CRD enhancer last night and it was posted this morning. The seller kindly asked what car I am having trouble with. I replied it is for a new Pajero for preventative maintenance.
Old 15-07-15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon View Post
Some 2 stroke 'outboard' oils can seperate in diesel 2T dosnt
I use the 2T as well, have done for years in my GU patrol 2.8 and now in my NS, I agree that it makes the engine quieter.

The patrol forum has a lot of discussions regarding this, they even mention the oils that separate.

2008 NS diesel auto - EGR resistor mod, tow bar, spare wheel lift, Scanguage, Oricom UHF, Roo Lights, Ironman Bull bar & 2" lift, Hercules 12000lb winch & DPF delete pipe

Last edited by Dale-NS; 15-07-15 at 06:46 AM. Reason: Added text
Old 26-07-15
Valued Member

Just a small update on using the CEM after about 4 weeks and about 1000k's.
I was at my 4wd club camp this weekend and it had been quite cold overnight.
The whole issue of buying the CEM product in the first place was a mass of smoke billowing out of the paj under real heavy acceleration(see my previous post) and some smoke noticeable with rough surge idling after a cold start first thing in the mornings.
The diesel mechanic put me onto the CEM stuff, just in the off chance to see if their was any improvement, instead of me getting an injector clean.

Note: The mechanic has no affiliation to the CEM products, he was just giving me a first option before getting into the serious diagnosis of my engine idle and smoke problem.

Well this morning whilst we were breaking camp, Kayleen got in the Paj to start it first thing.
Started easily, I heard no rough surge idling and standing behind the vehicle guiding her to the camper, I saw no smoke either.
I have noticed the engine temp that use to sit at exactly 1/2 way on the dial, has come back to sit between 1/4 and 1/2 when travelling home. Outside temp was about 20c.
Very Interesting...there seems to be a drop in engine temp...CEM product doing this?..
I can't say, I've just noticed this today, I haven't driven the Paj for a week, Kayleen has...It seems lately, I've got to crowbar her out of the Paj's drivers seat.
But that is a different story.

Somethings seemed to have changed, I may have caught the problem early with the CEM products, before the smoke and surge idling issue became chronic?
I don't know or will never know, but what I do know now, is the problems I had previously are not a problem for the time being.
So far so good.
Old 26-07-15
Valued Member

That is good to hear Peter. Was this the diesel conditioner or cleaner? I bought a bottle of CEM conditioner but forgot to fill it when I filled up two days ago. Would there be any benefit for a new car?