Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Fuel and fuel systems

Fuel and fuel systems Petrol vs Diesel, LPG Conversions, premium fuels, and all that gas

Old 24-10-14

Default Diesel Fuel Bladder

Looking at doing a future Simpson / Hay River tour and considering using a diesel bladder in lieu of jerry cans for the extra 100/150 litres I would need to carry.
Only found one reference on the forum to somebody using a Flexitank water bladder without issues, but a contact I have has heard of several reports of bladders - both diesel and water - leaking.
Looking for anybody with firsthand experience with the diesel bladder.
Don't particularly want to carry 4 or 5 jerry cans, and too expensive to fit a long range tank, or aux. Also don't want to relocate the spare wheel.
at least a bladder, I can resell later if no longer needed.
MY14 PC Challenger Auto, Terra Rosa, Rear Storage Drawer and Fridge System, 120Ah Dual Battery, Traxide SC80 Isolator, H/Reece Hitch. Tekonsha Primus IQ Brake Controller, LED Running Lights, 80W LED Light Bar, Factory (PB) Nudge Bar. Thule Racks, GME TX3510 CB, Poly Airs, MN Triton 17" wheels. Tinted windows, deflectors and bonnet guard. Headlight protectors.
Old 26-10-14
Valued Member

I would personally feel a lot more comfortable with jerries.

I imagine you are looking at a single bladder to hold that fuel? If that leaks, all is gone. Multiple jerries means if one leaks you will lose a smaller amount. Also less likely to suffer damage. Where do you plan on storing the bladder? You couldn't put things on top of it for example.

You can re sell jerries afterwards too..

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.
Old 26-10-14
Valued Member

Hi Rob
I echo what Alex has said where are you thinking of putting the bladder and I would definitly not carry diesel in the inside think about what will happen if it leaks I also think the bladders are made for water not fuel it will be a pain I know having jerrys on the roof if you have a rack but at least they have less chance of leaking you could always have a double jerry can holder made and attached to the spare wheel holder
Cheers
Georgie

Wish List lots

SOLD 2013 GLX- R Pajero
Old 26-10-14

Thanks Alex and Georgie
Flexitank do make specific diesel bladders in a variety of sizes, and they are designed to go in the rear footwell behind front seats. As there would only be 2 of us, no problem with anything being on the bladder. Also I would lay a sheet of heavy carpet under and on top of the tank.
Agree with you about the problem of leakage, and have heard about this happening, hence the call out to anybody who has actually had experience with fuel bladders; especially Flexitanks.
As stated, do not want to fit a rear jerry can carrier, nor especially don't want to place 100-150Kg of fuel on the roof racks (bloody dangerous in my books with such a high centre of gravity, on sand dunes especially.) Not to mention the ratings of the rails/racks.
Other possibility using jerries is to remove one or both rear seats to prove extra floor space, and then I can carry say 6-8 jerries with both fuel and water: something I have to carry anyway.
Probably get away with 80 litres of extra fuel as longest distance is about 650Km between supply, and @ say 18l/100klm, I would only need a reserve of 60 litres, so 4 jerries of fuel is plenty.
MY14 PC Challenger Auto, Terra Rosa, Rear Storage Drawer and Fridge System, 120Ah Dual Battery, Traxide SC80 Isolator, H/Reece Hitch. Tekonsha Primus IQ Brake Controller, LED Running Lights, 80W LED Light Bar, Factory (PB) Nudge Bar. Thule Racks, GME TX3510 CB, Poly Airs, MN Triton 17" wheels. Tinted windows, deflectors and bonnet guard. Headlight protectors.
Old 26-10-14

Hey robdavo. I would go the removal or the rear seats for the extra space. I have done this in my challenger and it is a 2 seater full time now. Just 8 bolts to undo and the rear seats simply lift out. Then the possibilities are endless. Make up a false floor, drawers or whatever suits your needs for storage and away you go.

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN : 2012 PB Challenger LS Auto - M/T ATZ P3 285/70/17, Black factory alloys, Xrox sliders, Xrox bullbar, FYRLYT's, Aurora 30" lightbar, Runva 11xp winch, Ultimate suspension lift & brake upgrade, Airtec snorkel, Bushskinz, ORS drawers, Redarc DBS with solar, UHF, SPV EGR mod, Rhino pioneer platform, 3.15 reduction gears, Wholesale autos hd nomad valve body..
Old 26-10-14

The Flexitank diesel bladder is 2 layer which will offer secondary catchment.

http://www.flexitank.com.au/flexi-ne...-outdoors-show

Pretty proven technology in other fuel applications
Old 26-10-14

carrying that extra fuel can be a pain the the butt and its hard to satisfy all the criteria of avail space, centre of gravity and so on. the bladders certainly are available to suit diesel and another option I looked into are the seemingly large range of fuel rated plastic tanks available, in particular from boating outlets. You get more peace of mind against spillages and they seem to be available in a huge range of sizes and shapes including low profile. One advantage is the option of being able to hook into the tanks and transfer fuel on the go, hope that helps, Cheers Alan
'91 NH SWB (import) intercooled turbo 4D56T, Manual, factory mags 31x10.5 15's, alloy bulbar, snorkel, UHF, Rhino alloy rack, sunroof, bonnet bug deflector, LED light bars, driving lights, air bags, new shockies, polished stainless rear ladder, GPS, on board air, telescopic rear light, 60ltr fridge/freezer, dual battery system plus aux batteries, comprehensive set gauges, security system, air horns, on board solar panels, roof lightbar/spotties, worklights, towbar, rear bumper lights,
Old 27-10-14

G'day, I have the 140L Flexitank water bladder.
So far so good, I find it better than I thought it would be.
You do need to treat it gently, I wrapped it in under felt and made a compartment from mdf to put it in.
But it works better than I expected, especially the fact that it collapses as you use it, so no sloshing noise and the space becomes available as it's emptied. Not to mention the lower centre of gravity. I've been driving around with the tank full for a total of 5 weeks now, 2 weeks of that off road.
pic's
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_33311.jpg (162.3 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20141027_032238.jpg (59.0 KB, 65 views)
MY14 VRX 3.2D Auto|OL Premium post bar | Runva 11XP | Bushskinz Int/Sump | Rhino platform 42102B | 2.5x2.1 Oztrail | HD Parkside Hitch | Grande 17x8 | 697 A/T 265/65R17LT | Flexitank 140L | Primus 92L DZone | Rhino Luggage bag | Maxtrax | 10.1" tablet | Redarc SBI12, BCDC1240LV, TowPro | Century N70T | Fullriver DC105-12 | 120w Light bar | 7"HID 100w | CAT3 ERP | ARB CKMA12 | Alpine MRVT1000, MRVF540 | MBQuart DSC216 x 2 | Alpine SWR-1221 x2 | Enough cable, switches to run a city

Last edited by gunsrunner; 27-10-14 at 05:42 AM.
Old 27-10-14
Valued Member

I think Boab make a poly tank to sit in the rear footwell, similar to the bladder shown above, but don't know if it fits the Paj. Might be more durable but won't shrink as the fuel is used. Keeping the weight low and central is best. I think Opposite Lock handle Boab.
Old 27-10-14
Valued Member

i have thought about a bladder for water and or fuel in the the rear most seat well,for the pajero anyway