Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Fuel and fuel systems

Fuel and fuel systems Petrol vs Diesel, LPG Conversions, premium fuels, and all that gas

Old 15-08-14
Valued Member

Default Why no love for Brown Davis Tanks?

Heading home from my Simpson trip and musing on long range tanks.
I carried extra diesel inside the car which consumed space.
Everyone seems to go for the LRA tanks and Brown Davis gets canned. Why is this? Is it anecdotal or real experience with them?
While I am at it how do they get the extra 10 litres for a rear A/C tank over LRA?
Now towing a 19ft regent Caravan

Member of the Cynical Old Bloke Club
Old 15-08-14
Pajero Club Life Member

Default Brown Davis Tanks

I had a Brown Davis tank installed on my Pajero. It was fine to use until the first time I used it on a remote area trip.

Unfortunately, I had an issue with fuel filters which caused a recovery to occur.

The cause of the problem:
welding dross not being cleaned out of the tank, causing it to be sucked up into the filter on a rough track (the first one it had been on since fitting) where fuel was sloshed around (complete with welding dross)

This was evidenced during repair when the filter was cut open to see the cause of the blockage.

I would never have another Brown Davis tank.
Old 15-08-14
Valued Member

I went with an LRA purely based on reviews and others experiences. There aren't too many issues with the LRA Tanks, but the Brown Davis has a few bad write ups.

Out of interest how much fuel did you consume and which route over the Simpson did you take? I'll be crossing in October after doing the Anne Beadell.

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |
Old 15-08-14
Valued Member

I've got a Brown Davis sub tank I bought second hand.

I've never had an issues (except of one of the mounts cracking which was easily welded - I don't think this is really the tank's fault... just the consequence of lots of outback roads & corrugations - I've also broken the welds where the front body mount is welded to the chassis. I wouldn't blame Mitsubishi for this so wouldn't blame Brown Davis either )

| ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | airbags | Cooper AT3 LT's | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank in rear seat well | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')
Old 16-08-14
Valued Member

Did some French Line and Waa Line. 638km Mt Dare to Birdsville used, 114litres.

Old 16-08-14
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naviguesser View Post
Did some French Line and Waa Line. 638km Mt Dare to Birdsville used, 114litres.
Just off the subject a bit were you pulling a camper or just going through with the paj.
Looking at doing the Simpson next year

Regards
Dave
Old 16-08-14
Valued Member

Just the Pajero. Wouldn't take a camper, you can see the damage they cause

Old 16-08-14
Valued Member

No problems thanks for the info

Regards
Dave
Old 17-08-14
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Paj View Post
I had a Brown Davis tank installed on my Pajero. It was fine to use until the first time I used it on a remote area trip.

Unfortunately, I had an issue with fuel filters which caused a recovery to occur.

The cause of the problem:
welding dross not being cleaned out of the tank, causing it to be sucked up into the filter on a rough track (the first one it had been on since fitting) where fuel was sloshed around (complete with welding dross)

This was evidenced during repair when the filter was cut open to see the cause of the blockage.

I would never have another Brown Davis tank.

Any other bad stories ?

Whilst Old Paj's experience is unfortunate, that does not sound like it was a tank failure. A good flush and clean out before fitting "should"eliminate that happening that I would think.

Old 17-08-14
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naviguesser View Post
Any other bad stories ?

Whilst Old Paj's experience is unfortunate, that does not sound like it was a tank failure. A good flush and clean out before fitting "should"eliminate that happening that I would think.
Have a google, LRA vs Brown Davis, there are reports all over the place regarding customer service, tank failures etc. Whether or not they have improved I don't know. Best to have a look at one on a Paj if you can find one and see of it hangs any lower, the extra capacity has to go somewhere and normally this results in a lower hanging tank.

I know my LRA Tank is low enough and has already copped some hits, I wouldn't want to have a tank hanging lower than this. I do find the transfer pump on the LRA tank is pretty slow and it takes awhile to transfer the fuel over, not sure on the BD though.

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |