Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Fuel and fuel systems

Fuel and fuel systems Petrol vs Diesel, LPG Conversions, premium fuels, and all that gas

Old 13-12-13
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiC View Post
My avg is 17-18.5/100L...for ULP91...this seems really bad...
That is a bit high, my 3.5 is around 15 lph for around town driving, and can go to mid-high 11's for highway. I generally use 98 in mine

I would suggest giving your MAF a clean and check air filter is clean. Try using 95 for a few tanks and see if it gets any better.

Do you have any accessories fitted?

Currently: 2001 NM GLS MY2002 3.5 V6 Manual, Bullbar, GME TX3520, Falken Wildpeak A/T02 LT265/70/16, Pacemaker extractors, KYB Skorched 4's, Villain Lighting 22" lightbar, Bushskinz Front and sump guard, Pioneer 7" screen

Items to be fitted: ARB 2.5 x 2.1 awning.

Items to be purchased: Bushskinz- Gearbox/Transfer plates and sliders, Roof racks, Safari Snorkel, Lifted Springs, maybe more...
Old 13-12-13

No accessories, no modification...

I will try 95 for few fills and 98 after that to check the progress.
Old 13-12-13

Yeah way too high for unmodified unless you have an obscenely heavy right foot (V6 is VERY thirsty if you hammer it everywher). Mine used to get 12-15 (11 highway on a good day) when I bought it. Muddies, rooftop and lift have raised it to around 15-18.
Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.
Old 13-12-13

I do admit I have heavy right foot. But not to that extent.... Would you think transmission mode makes any difference? I heard from few people that auto sucks more juice compared to manuals
Old 13-12-13
Valued Member

I highly doubt it would be that much.

Currently: 2001 NM GLS MY2002 3.5 V6 Manual, Bullbar, GME TX3520, Falken Wildpeak A/T02 LT265/70/16, Pacemaker extractors, KYB Skorched 4's, Villain Lighting 22" lightbar, Bushskinz Front and sump guard, Pioneer 7" screen

Items to be fitted: ARB 2.5 x 2.1 awning.

Items to be purchased: Bushskinz- Gearbox/Transfer plates and sliders, Roof racks, Safari Snorkel, Lifted Springs, maybe more...
Old 13-12-13

I have an 89 NG manual. I found using 91 she used a lot of fuel and suffered slight power loss as compared to 95. 98 made no difference. The old girl carries large drawer unit in back, second battery, homemade steel roof rack, bullbar and winch. When i went from 29's to 31's it suffered a bit more but nothing extreme. I am a (according to wife), a leadfoot. I get around 17 to the 100 mixed town / highway km's.
Old 13-12-13
Valued Member

There is a lot of info elsewhere on this forum about the damage that e10 can do to motors that are not designed for it. the older the PJ's I assume do not say in the manual that e10 can be use, so don't. Basically it is the alcohol that rots rubber components and because the alcohol can absorb water the metal parts can rust from the inside. You won't find out about it till it is too late.
2010 NT DiD Platinum, MM tow bar, Red Arc electric brake controller, ARB Delux bullbar, Ultimate HD suspension and shocks, Engineers cert for GVM upgrade, Airtech snorkle, Cooper ST Maxx, 2nd Battery+ extra sockets, catch can, intercooler/ sump/ transmission guard, scan guage II, Hid driving lights, Ironman awning, daytime driving lights + other little bits
Old 13-01-14

Hi All,

Just an update...I have been using 95 for last two fills and it is 14.70L/100 Km compared to 91 (18.30L/100 Km). Do you think thats significant difference? I also did my 100K service. Not sure if that helped a bit..

I would gie a try to 98 for next few fills to see if that makes any significant difference.
Old 13-01-14

I honestly can't tell the difference between 91 (E10) and 98 octane, except for the 20c per litre price difference.

Pajero 3.8 NS
Old 13-01-14

For what it's worth, I use 98 Ron Shell or Mobil almost exclusively. The main reason being I find I get a better response from the engine, better economy when on the freeway and especially when towing (1800kg 1990 Evernew Caravan). Recetly went to Lakes Entrance for the Christmas holidays, 18lts/100km on the trip down. Best economy I've got with the van on in ages. Coming home I could only get 95 Ron from Caltex / wollworths in Lakes, into a head wind the whole way home.....Haven't done the sums yet, but had to do a fuel pit stop in Officer on the was home....it's going to hurt!!!!