Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Fuel and fuel systems

Fuel and fuel systems Petrol vs Diesel, LPG Conversions, premium fuels, and all that gas

Old 05-04-08
Valued Member

Default LPG and Stalling! What Happens?

Hey folks.

Just wondering what everyone's expereince is with LPG and stalling.

I find that whenever I stall the car, whether it be just not enough acceleration when taking off, or stalling while snatching, which I tend to do alot, always results in the car backfiring. (Blows the air intake apart.)

The only time it wont backfire when I stall is if i'm going along with my foot off the accelerator, and put the brake on till it stalls.

I'm not really bothered that it backfires (I just use petrol now, if I think that I might stall), just more interested to know if it happens to others, which I suspect it does.

I have the older non-injection type gas system. I suppose the Direct Injection type would not backfire, however it is advertised as less prone to backfiring, so this maynot be the case.

Would be interested to hear from people with the Direct and Non Direct injection gas systems and what your experience's are.

Cheers
Shane
Old 07-04-08

Firstly, how do you tell whether you have a D or ND injection type? I am thinking mine is a ND system, but am not really sure what to look for to be quite honest.

* If the car stalls, I simply cannot restart the car on LPG - I must switch over to petrol (and kick the engine over a few times before it fires up). Gas oversupply?
* I have not experienced any significant (ie damaging) backfires yet (fingers crossed!!)
* I have however, in the process of stalling, popped one of two little rubber hoses off their little doo-ve-lackeys (sorry to get all technical - they are at the top, and just fore of the engine block, seems to be part of a vacuum system??) a number of times. But you realise immediately when its happened as idle on restart (with petrol) is horrible...as soon as you pop them back on all is sweet again. Anyone else had this?
Bilstein shocks / Lovell 2" lifted HD springs / Polyair Bags, Cooper AT3 (265/70/17), Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel, Uniden CB radio with 3+6dB whip antennae, Garmin Nuvi 760, Ironman awning with strip lighting, Rhino Pioneer tray, 42" lightbar, 135Ahr AGM dual batt system, 300W Solar panels, 4" rear work-lights
Wishlist : ARB Deluxe bullbar
Old 07-04-08

Quote:
Originally Posted by linc View Post
Firstly, how do you tell whether you have a D or ND injection type? I am thinking mine is a ND system, but am not really sure what to look for to be quite honest.
I have just been told that if I can see 6 little rubber hoses heading into the tops of each of the cylinders, then it is a Direct system. Does that sound about right? If so, then that is what I've got.

Tyres aren't the only things on cars that confuzzle me!
Bilstein shocks / Lovell 2" lifted HD springs / Polyair Bags, Cooper AT3 (265/70/17), Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel, Uniden CB radio with 3+6dB whip antennae, Garmin Nuvi 760, Ironman awning with strip lighting, Rhino Pioneer tray, 42" lightbar, 135Ahr AGM dual batt system, 300W Solar panels, 4" rear work-lights
Wishlist : ARB Deluxe bullbar
Old 07-04-08
Valued Member

ok here goes , if it is single poit injection you will have some type of gas mixer that is inline with the air induction pipe . from the air box to the throttle body , it is quite easy to see it smacks you right in the face when looking at it . the other type injected will be a bit harder to see , you will have 6 pipes going to the inlet manifold 1 for each cylinder they will be as close to the fuel injectors as they can get them . hope this helps
Old 12-04-08

Hi Shane,

I went through a gas conversion a few months ago ans had similar experiences. I opted fro direct injection and as there are 6 injector hoses going to the injectors. there will also be a cpu box mounted generally on the firewall.
I had a stalling problem where my paj would stall when the revs went down quickly which generally occurred when slowing down to stop or make a turn. Anyway turn out to be 2 vacum leaks:
1. at the inlet manifold runner shaft, becasue of worn seal/rubber etc, and
2. at the petrol injectors, which are mounted with rubber gomets. Again these were worn and deteriated.
Had these repaired and have had no problem since.
Also you should note that with tlpg direct injection you do not get any backfire, you need to get this checked out.
Hope this answers some questions.

Michael
Old 23-04-08

"1. at the inlet manifold runner shaft, becasue of worn seal/rubber etc"

What is the runner shaft?