• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hansdampf
    • May 2011
    • Airlie Beach

Too much fuel consumption of a 3.0 V6 Pajero NG

Hello, im new at the Forum and in Australia.I bought a Pajero V6 3.0 NG from 1990 one week agoand its a pretty good car, but i need 20 liters LPG and 17 to 18 Liter Petrol. Im driving max 100. normaly 90 average speed is 92km/h. The Car is not heavy loaded and has no roofrack on it, and im not accelarating or breaking extremly or often. I drove from Brisbane to Bowen so not much city traffic also. So i think its way to much, i spoke to some pajero v6 ng owners i meet on the street and they told me they need between 11 to15 liters of Petrol. I have found a describtion to check the timing, and i will do this tomorrow. I heard also, that it could be that a tempretuar sensor is brocken and the electroniks things the engine is to cold a puts more petrol in it. What else could be the Problem? i thought about change the Sparkplugs and Airfilter. Maybe the Lambdasensor is also broken. You have an ides how i can chek the sensors bye my self or does this only can do a mechanic. Thanks for any Informations and Tipps, and sorry for the "strange" englisch.
  • bakerboy
    "valued 3000+ member"
    • May 2008
    • Perth

I use around 16-17l/100k's but I drive like a hoon
    If I agreed with you, then we would both be wrong

'89 NG Paj, 3L V6, now running 2" suspension lift, 33" Micky T Baja Claws's, Front LOKKA & 12,000lb winch

Comment

• mr moose
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2011
      • vic, mornington peninsula

Although a lot of people on hear will tell you they get X L per 100, I have heard a lot of people complain about about how hungry the mitsu v6 are, especialy once you put them in a heavy car (e.g pajero/triton). Every car is different and even when running well there can still be upto 4-5 litres per 100 difference in the same model.
      96' NK 3.5 DOHC LWB, extractors, dual batteries, ARB winch bar and SCA 9500 winch, reverse camera, spotties and lots more to come.
      Look at me

Comment

• Hansdampf
        • May 2011
        • Airlie Beach

Hey, i?m at a farm now and have some Tools.

Today i checked the ECU Default Code.

How its explained at this site:

I have following problems:
        • Code 14 ? Throttle Position Sensor
        • Code 41 - Injectors

Anyone has tips how to slove them?

Tomorrow i check the Sparks as well

Comment

• Rendrag
          Valued Member
          • Feb 2010
          • Central Coast, NSW

The 3.0 sucks fuel. Not much you can do about it :-p Though 17-18 *without* a roof rack seems a couple of L/100km too high.. I've been sitting on 16-18L/100km for the last 15,000km.. Took my tradies rack off before we went away for the long weekend, and I managed 14L/100km on a nice flat 200km section of highway.. Was sitting on 15-16L/100km for the rest of the trip. Around town it still sits on 17 though...

Though pushing a 2.2 tonne brick wall with a 130kw/110Nm engine is always going to chew fuel :-p

BTW, fuelly is a great way to keep an eye on what other pajeros are *really* doing

Can't say that o2 sensor really makes a bit of difference.. mine was running wired backwards (so essentially not plugged in) for 20,000km, and my fuel economy didn't change in the slightest when I replaced it..

Keeping the air filter clean does make a HEAP of difference to available power (which follows through to fuel used to start off, or hold a speed I guess) - though apart from things like roof racks, I haven't seen ANY mods/tuning checkups/etc making a difference to my fuel usage?!
          VK2TDG/VK2DGJ
          Dip.EE, Dip.IT, GradIEAust, Master Cabler
          '94 3.0L Pajero GLS
          '84 BMW K100RT Starship

Comment

• Rendrag
            Valued Member
            • Feb 2010
            • Central Coast, NSW

Oh, to answer your question, o2 sensor is easy to test.. - get under the car, unplug it from the loom, unscrew it from the exhaust, and shove it on the workbench. Have a good look and see whether it looks clogged. - they get a big laggy and read low if they're dirty..

Now you have four wires - usually two purple, and a white and black. Shove a 12v supply across the two purple (or if not purple, the two which are the *same* colour) - that's the heater. You'll need to supply 4-5amps for it. Shove a multimeter across the other two wires.. It should show 0.1V or so until it warms up, then show 0.2-0.3v.

If you can test it in-car (if you're electrically proficient, the o2 feed is available on the ECU connectors, or if it's like the NJ, if you remove the centre console, it's available in a connector at the floor as it comes through above the gearbox..), you should see it come up from 0.1->0.7'ish V with the engine idling, as it warms up, then see it cycling up and down from 0.2-0.7 about 4-5 times a second.
            VK2TDG/VK2DGJ
            '94 3.0L Pajero GLS
            '84 BMW K100RT Starship

Comment

• Hansdampf
              • May 2011
              • Airlie Beach

Hey, didnt tested the lambda jet, but i have made some pictures.

is the spark, airfilter ok?

waht kind of lpg system is it? 3 picture, i only now its around 10 years old,
              Attached Files

Comment

• my.paj
                • Dec 2010
                • Tullamarine

Code 41 - Injectors, could be that your gas system cuts the power to the injectors so it only runs gas, I would be changing the plugs and filter as that plug dont look right but I dont know what it is, I get around 19 on gas.
                Rick
                Old, NP Exceed 3.5 petrol, ARB Bull bar, Warn winch, Bush Skinz Bash plates ,2inch lift, Safari Snorkel. ***Now Sold***
                New, RG Colorado Dual Cab Tray

Comment

• Rendrag
                  Valued Member
                  • Feb 2010
                  • Central Coast, NSW

That plug looks RUSTY?!?! Or does gas burn brown? Gap looks WAY too big to me?
                  VK2TDG/VK2DGJ
                  '94 3.0L Pajero GLS
                  '84 BMW K100RT Starship

Comment

• Hansdampf
                    • May 2011
                    • Airlie Beach

Hey,

yeah the gap looks really big. normal is 0.8mm isnt it. Unluckly i dont have a meassure tool for it (i heard a creditcard has 0.8 as well,), but i buy some new ones any way.

How does it work with the LPG any way? i Have a switch LPG - Petrol, if i change it i drive only on LPG or Petrol and i need around 18-19 liter Petrol and 19-22 liter LPG. And i drive really slow fuel effition.

Comment

• bakerboy
                      "valued 3000+ member"
                      • May 2008
                      • Perth

Gaps normally 1.1mm
                      If I agreed with you, then we would both be wrong

'89 NG Paj, 3L V6, now running 2" suspension lift, 33" Micky T Baja Claws's, Front LOKKA & 12,000lb winch

Comment

• monteroski
                        • Jul 2011
                        • Maturin-Monagas-Venezuela

well, in venezuela the gasoline its no too much problem for its cost!! but here we use the k&n filter and its helps to reduces fuel consumption! other thing maybe you have to evaluate is your tyre size?? the wind resistence?? do you have clean the inyection system?? all your filter!! im not a expert is my opinion.. a besides you cant wait fuel economy with the montero it sucks pretty much fuel!
                        Last edited by monteroski; 20-07-11, 02:04 AM.
                        www.monteroyv.org

Comment

• Rendrag
                          Valued Member
                          • Feb 2010
                          • Central Coast, NSW

Originally posted by Hansdampf View Post
                          Hey,

yeah the gap looks really big. normal is 0.8mm isnt it. Unluckly i dont have a meassure tool for it (i heard a creditcard has 0.8 as well,), but i buy some new ones any way.
                          Hacksaw blade, that's the way you measure a plug gap! *grin*
                          VK2TDG/VK2DGJ
                          '94 3.0L Pajero GLS
                          '84 BMW K100RT Starship

Comment

• Almighty_Paj
                            • May 2011
                            • Browns Plains - Brisbane

Originally posted by bakerboy View Post
                            I use around 16-17l/100k's but I drive like a hoon
                            christ and blimey, I thought I wasn't doing very well with 11.5L/100k's with my 4G54 (Has tasty pacemaker extractors, no catback, and a fairly nonrestrictive muffler. Reco'd two barrel carby. Just needs engine reco)
                            My Rides;
                            --------------------
                            1984 NB Pajero 2.6L Astron SWB
                            1986 NC Pajero 2.6L Astron LWB

Comment

• Hansdampf
                              • May 2011
                              • Airlie Beach

Hello again, so i changed the Airfilter, Sparks, and checkt the timing. The Timeing was not corect. Now he starts better and he has more power (better exeleration). I couldnt check how much fuel i need now, have to drive some more km soon.

But I have tow more problems. The first one: There is too much engineoil in the car, on the oilcheckstick (in the front) is the oil 3-4cm over the max. line, so it looks like 150% oil, i hope you understand what i mean. And its the same "problem" at the "gear oil?" (stick in the back, red oil) the oil is a littel bit over "hot max" if the engien is cold. Should i remove the oil or is it alright, when yes whats the best methode?

The seconed problem is the Blue thing befor the battery on the picture. What is it? the thing has a lot of cracks and the thing on top was broken i fixed it with some silicone. What is it? can i get at supercheap?

Thx for the help. cheers
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Hansdampf; 21-08-11, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X