Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Body and Soul

Body and Soul Discussion about the chassis and body, paintwork, cabin fittings, air conditioning, etc.

Old 04-05-19
Valued Member

Default Dash rattle in Gen 4s

A few questions on dash rattle on corrugated roads if anybody knows the answers...

- Does this affect all Gen 4 models or are the later models better than earlier

- If the model is prone to it, will all examples of that model rattle badly or is it just bad luck if yours rattles

- Does it tend to start getting worse after a certain mileage or do they rattle from new

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-05-19
"2000"+ Valued Contributor

Send a message via MSN to sharkcaver Send a message via Skype™ to sharkcaver

- it affects all gen 4's as far as I'm aware
-this includes all models
- it will start from the first corrugation you hit

There are dash fixes posted here on the forum. Personally, I just put up with it.

MY16 NX GLX5, Dobinson's HD springs + MRR shocks + Firestone airbags, 17" Toyo Opats, XXX bar, Dominator winch + IB500 relay, Full Bushskinz kit, Rhino track mount, 7" led spots, 23" light bar, SPV block, Ultragauge, Donaldson secondary filter, LRA 81L aux, 105AGM in rear + Projecta IDC25, 2 tier rear shelf + slide, ARB on board compressor, 2.5 x 3.0 awning

NX build

My Journeys
Old 04-05-19

It's bad in every gen 4. That happy feeling of owning a new car disappeared after the first corrugation, I honestly thought the dash was broken. Extremely disappointed.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

ARB Commercial bullbar, 22" LED light bar, Black Duck seat covers, Rhino roof rack, Bushskinz, 2" lift, Tough dog front, King Springs rear, Bridgestone Dueler D697
Old 04-05-19
Valued Member

I have never had a complaint about the dash rattle in my NW, but on a rough road or corrugations, the wipers start themselves automatically. That is annoying to say the least.
Old 04-05-19
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erad View Post
I have never had a complaint about the dash rattle in my NW, but on a rough road or corrugations, the wipers start themselves automatically. That is annoying to say the least.

Thanks for the input everyone. Iíve read about the wiper issue on another thread and I assume the entire wiper stalk clicks down one click? Or do they somehow turn on without it clicking to the next position? If it clicks, I wonder if thereís a way of holding it up with a rubber band or something

Old 04-05-19
Valued Member

I've never had the wipers turn on when there's a rough road but sometimes they'll do it if there's a filter of light like amongst trees. That's when they are set on auto of course. I also had them come on every time i started the car (just one cycle) after a windscreen replacement but that settled down after a while.
2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S. Goldstream caravan and a TVan Firetail.
Old 04-05-19
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erad View Post
Jam a small piece of cardboard in the wiper stalk, stopped mine activating every 5 minutes on the CSR.

I braced my NW dash with SS brackets and zip ties etc, its still shakes, not as bad though. It was that bad on one trip across the Anne Beadell, I hung a teatowel over the edges to jam it between the doors and hold it steady. My Patrol in comparison is rock solid and has no vibration at all, but the Paj dash is much larger.

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |
Old 05-05-19
Valued Member

For all the problems people have, Iím surprised there are no videos on YouTube showing it shake. Unless people have tried and it just doesnít look that bad on video.

Old 05-05-19

I have seen mine shake over corrugations and the MMMC screen shakes quite a bit. My daily drive is punctuated by a dash rattle in the passenger side airbag area, from just above the glove box. It was worse after the airbag recall and as I live in a country town the local dealer was not much use while it was under warranty. I must have a go at sorting out myself.

James
Old 05-05-19
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkwpajero View Post
I have seen mine shake over corrugations and the MMMC screen shakes quite a bit. My daily drive is punctuated by a dash rattle in the passenger side airbag area, from just above the glove box. It was worse after the airbag recall and as I live in a country town the local dealer was not much use while it was under warranty. I must have a go at sorting out myself.
James

I have had an irritating rattle from that area almost since I bought the Paj. More noticeable just driving around on bitumen at city speed, presumably because on rougher roads and higher speeds other noises disguise it. Actually it was very hard to localise (as these things often are) and over the years the service guys tried lots of things, occasionally making a difference, but never for long. On a recent trip over to the Vic High Country from Adelaide I tried tightly stuffing some paper towels down between the forward edge of the dash and the bottom of the windscreen. Solved the problem . I have since replaced the paper with some black high density foam rubber. Anyway, you might try that - costs virtually nothing.
BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni 90 front and Bilstein 6272 rear shocks with Lovell HD springs, Lightforce 170 Halogen driving lights, Brown Davis i/c and sump bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager primary fuel filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD oil catch can, LockUp Mate, Kaon cargo barrier, Harrop front e-locker