Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Fuel and fuel systems

Fuel and fuel systems Petrol vs Diesel, LPG Conversions, premium fuels, and all that gas

Old 27-01-18

Question Pajero Air Filter

I am looking at getting a air filter and after a quick search I can find air filters from $8 to $100, so would a $8 do the job or would a $100 be better. Which would be better brand or should I stay with Mitsubishi.
MY14 GLX-R Pajero, Modified Brown Davis Intercoola & Sump Plates, Bushskinz Rear Bumper Protector, Bushskinz Transmission & Transfer Plates, ARB Bullbar, Warn Zeon 10-s Winch, Cheap HID Spotties, Koni shocks with 40mm Lift, Cooper AT3, Ultra Guage,Stedi ST4000 Light Bar, HPD Catch Can, Dash Cam

To go where very few have gone before

Our Travels & Our YouTube Channel
Old 28-01-18
Valued Member

I have read comments on this forum that the cheaper filters do not fit properly, and may let dust get in past the filter - not good for your engine. I imagine that problem could be cured by putting a thin strip of foam (like a draft seal for a house door) around the edge prior to installation
Old 28-01-18

I use genuine Ryco for fuel, oil and air filters. I've found Ryco products to be good quality.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ryco-Air-...oAAOSwn25aJu~f

Benny.
2011 NT Pajero Platinum, dual batteries, MM alloy bar, Stedi 8.5" LED driving lights, Bushskinz side steps & bash plates, Provent catch can, EGR disabled, Auto-mate TC lockup, 2 micron secondary fuel filter, custom 3inch exhaust, JT intercooler, Bilstein + Lovells 2 inch lift, Airbag Man bags, DBA slotted rotors & Bendix 4WD pads, braided brake lines, diff+gearbox+transfer breathers, Redarc boost & EGT gauge, H-Reese Compact brake controller, Uniden UH7760NB and Scangauge II.
Old 28-01-18
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTBenny View Post
I use genuine Ryco for fuel, oil and air filters. I've found Ryco products to be good quality.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ryco-Air-...oAAOSwn25aJu~f

Benny.
Nothing wrong with Ryco..

I use Donaldson Filters. Donaldson do a kit for the Pajero, Oil Air Fuel for about $80
My Nephew had his own Diesel Mechanical business & he put me on to Donaldson, They have a big name in Heavy Industrial / earth moving etc. There is also a lot of people on here using the Donaldson second fuel filter kit.

You would have to find the agent in your area, I doubt you will pickup a Donaldson Filter in your local supercheap.

Steve
2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: SMART Winch Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel
Old 28-01-18
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajaru View Post
I am looking at getting a air filter and after a quick search I can find air filters from $8 to $100, so would a $8 do the job or would a $100 be better. Which would be better brand or should I stay with Mitsubishi.
Using the Mitsubishi filter will at least give you piece of mind that it has been tested for your Paj.

I know a number of other Brand vehicles are having problems with dusted engines due to aftermarket filters being used. The Toyota V8's have well known problems with aftermarket filters and a friend of mine has just lost his V8 engine to poor filtration after using an aftermarket product for a number of years. Cost to him was 12K!!

Ive noticed poor filtration on my own Grand Cherokee and Pajero when using aftermarket filters inc both paper and K&N in dusty conditions. I tried everything including increased servicing and special greases to try to seal them, but these were never successful. I reverted back to OEM and the problem was gone.

Personally its a risk I don't want to take, for a small financial saving. Especially if you get out into the WA red dirt!
NOW SOLD: NW MY2014 VRX 3.2 Diesel Auto, Rhino Rack Roof Rack, Sandgrabber Floor Mats, Safari Snorkel, Warn XP9.5S Winch, ARB Bull Bar, Bushskinz Underbody Protection, Lovells HD Springs, Bilstein Shocks, Firestone Airbags, Off Road Systems Rear Shelf, Boab 40Lt Water Tank, Cooper LT265/65x17 ST-Maxx Tyres, Uniden 7760 UHF Radio, LRA 58LT Long Range Tank, ARB Intensity Spotlights, Redarc BCDC Dual Battery System, Taipan XP 3in Exhaust System, Recaro Seats.
Old 28-01-18

Don't risk it to save a few bucks. Go with genuine or a good brand like Ryco. Also beware of fake parts on ebay or the guy with the greasy ponytail selling "genuine" parts out of his boot.

Old 28-01-18
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onslow View Post
Using the Mitsubishi filter will at least give you piece of mind that it has been tested for your Paj.

I know a number of other Brand vehicles are having problems with dusted engines due to aftermarket filters being used. The Toyota V8's have well known problems with aftermarket filters and a friend of mine has just lost his V8 engine to poor filtration after using an aftermarket product for a number of years. Cost to him was 12K!!

Ive noticed poor filtration on my own Grand Cherokee and Pajero when using aftermarket filters inc both paper and K&N in dusty conditions. I tried everything including increased servicing and special greases to try to seal them, but these were never successful. I reverted back to OEM and the problem was gone.

Personally its a risk I don't want to take, for a small financial saving. Especially if you get out into the WA red dirt!
X infinity .. not worth to save a few bucks

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) - OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch front #plate light bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T,Dash cam, 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap
Old 28-01-18
Valued Member

Can't recall which brand of non OEM air filter it was that had the problems but it was one of the bigger name brands IIRC.
I currently use ACDelco filters and after reading the post re air filter problems I checked and measured the Paj and Jeep and it was fitting properly so I'm happy to keep using it.
I'm personally not a fan of K & N air filters as I've seen poor fitting and dusting problems. I also don't use oiled filters (Unifilter, finerfilter etc) anymore, particularly on any engine with electronic control.
Old 28-01-18
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhula View Post
Can't recall which brand of non OEM air filter it was that had the problems but it was one of the bigger name brands IIRC.
I currently use ACDelco filters and after reading the post re air filter problems I checked and measured the Paj and Jeep and it was fitting properly so I'm happy to keep using it.
I'm personally not a fan of K & N air filters as I've seen poor fitting and dusting problems. I also don't use oiled filters (Unifilter, finerfilter etc) anymore, particularly on any engine with electronic control.
Club 4x4 recently did a test on various air filters Filtration only, not air flow. The results show the K&N Style filters should never be used on 4X4s.

I would & do use A Reputable filter like Ryco or Donaldson, but I never buy from Ebay and I never buy a brand I'm not familiar with. Stick to the name brands and you will have no problems.

Steve
2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: SMART Winch Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel
Old 28-01-18

K and N are rubbish. I put one (oil filter) on my HSV which leaked, returned it for a replacement which also leaked! Went to OEM or Ryco since then and never had a problem in probably 20 oil changes I've done recently.