Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > It's all about 'Fishing'

It's all about 'Fishing' Let's have a look at your catch and boat!

Old 08-03-17
Valued Member

Default Carp & Herpes Virus

Picked up from another site - interesting...

http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/progra...geddon/7405048
Old 09-03-17
Valued Member

A single drop of viral water in Lake Burley Griffin, the big man-made lake at the centre of Canberra, right next to Parliament House, could send belly-up an estimated 10,000 tonnes of carp in a single sitting week.

"Once the virus is out there there's no going back," Dr Loh says.

pretty scarey, but I guess they know what they are doing? (not). What about Barnaby, has their ever been a bigger goose in parliament?
Old 09-03-17
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sharpe View Post
A single drop of viral water in Lake Burley Griffin, the big man-made lake at the centre of Canberra, right next to Parliament House, could send belly-up an estimated 10,000 tonnes of carp in a single sitting week.

"Once the virus is out there there's no going back," Dr Loh says.

pretty scarey, but I guess they know what they are doing? (not). What about Barnaby, has their ever been a bigger goose in parliament?

Pity a single drop couldnt clean up the vermin in Parliament house....

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more..
Old 09-03-17
Valued Member

Now, fellas - this is about fish, not pollies. Not that there isn't a lot of fishy business in Partiament house anyway....

"A single drop of viral water in Lake Burley Griffin, the big man-made lake at the centre of Canberra, right next to Parliament House, could send belly-up an estimated 10,000 tonnes of carp in a single sitting week." Instead or CARP, I think they meant CRAP. Seriously, if the killr ate is so strong, the dead fish will be a major problem in every river where the carp currently are located. NOt sure about the Tilapia though - they pose an even worse threat than carp. They are aggressive and eat anything, and will wipe out everything in their area. And they are not far off - only 20 or 30 km from entering the upper reaches of the Murray Darling system.
Old 09-03-17

What worries me is have they learnt from the past.
Does anyone remember the rabbits or the cane toads?
I'm all for getting rid of the carp, just hope they've done their homework.
Old 09-03-17
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Cruzin View Post
It is designed to target just carp. Myxo for the rabbits was the same...problem was we relied on it to be used all the time and thus some rabbits developed an immunity. Introduce foxes so we can kill the rabbits and pretend we are back in jolly good England with our fox hounds..Yep...that worked well..NOT.Cane toads...well there is no known 100% solution at the moment. I dont think that you will see us importaning any critter to help get rid of our animals again..hopefully. Remember trout is anintroduced species and seems to be travelling along ok with no real effect on the waterways...apart from probably taking up shelter and food from native fish. People would be calling for blood if we decided to wipe out trout. Hope they kill all the carp..Mind you the Murray cod are having a field day now that they use it as a good food source. Waterways will contain a lot of dead carp but they will be bounce back quickly as they do after algal blooms, oxygen depletion and siltation. Hopefully. Until govts get some balls and really look after our waterways nature will always be behind the eightball. We have to learn to work with the land and water. Not control it. No wonder the Aboriginals lasted tens of thousands of years and mankind now has limited time left on this planet until she gets sick and dies completely.

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more..
Old 09-03-17
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Cruzin View Post

Domestic rabbits arrived with the First Fleet. Wild rabbits arrived in Tasmania in 1827. 24 rabbits were released in 1859 in Victoria.

Cane Toads were introduced in 1935 and Carp in the 1850s

The Carp Herpes virus is said to be species specific.

As an aside. Trout are not native to OZ.

Last edited by BruceandBobbi; 09-03-17 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Added trout.
Old 09-03-17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceandBobbi View Post
Domestic rabbits arrived with the First Fleet. Wild rabbits arrived in Tasmania in 1827. 24 rabbits were released in 1859 in Victoria.

Cane Toads were introduced in 1935 and Carp in the 1850s

The Carp Herpes virus is said to be species specific.

As an aside. Trout are not native to OZ.
I wasn't asking for a history lesson, I was stating a fact that previous attempts to introduce a species to eradicate another had not gone well in the past.
I know all about the virus, I read about it 12 months ago and have been to a conferance that discussed the topic. It has not been tested in every possible situation, ans is not a guaranteed 100% kill rate.
Nature finds a way to survive, and any that do will more than likely become immune to the virus. I think a lot more research needs to be donr before they release it.
Old 09-03-17
Valued Member

This topic has popped up previously on here from memory. CSIRO have been testing for over 10 years to ensure this ONLY targets Carp and no other species.
I for one am all for it. They are a HUGE pest to the Murray River in SA. When I went there a few weeks ago, we were literally pulling hundreds of little ones from our yabbie nets. They are in plague proportions. The sooner they are eliminated, the sooner the native fish have a chance to make a comeback and hopefully the river will clean up a bit as well as they stir up huge amounts of mud.
Jonny Tig FMIC, 3" Exhaust, RalliArt remap, Provent, FuelManager, CouplerTec rust protection, ARB bar, Runva winch, TJM Snorkel, Bilstein/Lovell/Airbags, full Bushskins kit, Asfir AC+fuel, Stedi driving/fog light combo + LED headlights, dual battery, Uniden UHF, RedArc TowPro Elite, BRC breathers, Honda sprayers, Automate lockup/paddles, Rhino platform/backbone
Old 09-03-17
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poita View Post
yabbie nets.
How did you go with the Yabbies? I have mates that have come home with 10's of Kgs in a matter of hours! Apparently the back waters are producing in abundance and are forecast to remain this way for a couple years