Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Fuel and fuel systems

Fuel and fuel systems Petrol vs Diesel, LPG Conversions, premium fuels, and all that gas

Old 21-06-15
Valued Member

I rang Donaldson some time ago when I bought my kit and the bloke said the pressure drop on the 3 micron kit was around 0.2psi - which I would think is sweet bugger all.

Cheers

Geoff
03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.
Old 22-06-15
Valued Member

114 L/hr is surely sufficient. I have no idea of what the pump pulls, but people talk of the return to the tank of 8 times the engine usage. Thinking about engine consumption, I imagine that the worst you could get would be say 40L/100 km @ max speed - say 180 km/h. This would mean 72 L/hr consumption. I doubt that theere would be much fuel returned to the tank at those speeds, so therefore 114L/hr filter should be more than ample for the Pajero.

Note that I have never tried going anywhere near those speeds in my Pajero, so my guess of 40 L/100km is exactly that - a guess. Has anyone actually done those speeds and looked at the consumption?
Old 22-06-15

For what it is worth, I've often see a displayed 40 l/100km at about 15 km/hr in 2nd gear up a long steep hill leading up to my place with the caravan behind. Hill is long enough (probably about 3kms) and consistently steep so that as the speed drops off I consider.moving back to 1st gear - but never have done so. There has never been any sign of fuel starvation with just the OEM filter setup.
Old 22-06-15
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTV View Post
For what it is worth, I've often see a displayed 40 l/100km at about 15 km/hr in 2nd gear up a long steep hill leading up to my place with the caravan behind. Hill is long enough (probably about 3kms) and consistently steep so that as the speed drops off I consider.moving back to 1st gear - but never have done so. There has never been any sign of fuel starvation with just the OEM filter setup.
CH I'm a bit shorter than that around 5' 10.
Old 22-06-15
Valued Member

funny.
Dark tint: Driftadraws:bushskinz set:tough dog lift:50lt waeco:MSA drop down slide: optima 66AH blue top: oricom cb:GME antenna:120w solar:narva 170 lights:hayman reese brake controller:18/265/65 BFG's :roof basket & bag:SPV MK3.1:ARB compressor: Donaldson fuel filter:breathers:Redarc 40amp:century 120AH dual batt: Blue tongue offroad trekka camper trailer :2016 winch n bar Airtek snorkel
LIVING THE DREAM!! My Build http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=44476
Old 23-06-15
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTV View Post

The consumption you are referring to is at a much slower road speed, so the actual flow of diesel though the filter would be very much smaller than if you were driving at 180 or whatever. I guess that I have had similar consumptions with my caravan, but never noticed because I was always looking around the corner for on-coming stupidity, or checking the mirrors to see if I was holding anyone up behind me. The highest fuel flow would be with the engine at max revs - I rarely get anywhere near the limit. Even so, the pressure drop in the extra filter will be minimal.

My pre-filter is I think a 10 micron element (Donaldson), and I have a spare element, but after I have used them both up, I'll go to a 3 micron element. Since my vehicle is relatively low mileage, I doubt that there will be much crap in the tank, but I could easily have gotten a dose of sh1t from anywhere. After looking at the photos earlier, I think I'll change the pre-filter at least, and cut it open to see. The OEM filter was supposedly changed at the last service - I was on a trip and didn't have time to mark the original to see if it was changed.
Old 23-06-15
Valued Member

Perhaps its time to summarise this thread.

1. Fitting second filter may impact on factory warranty. We just don't know Mitsubishi's position.
2. Pressure reduction for a new Donaldson 3 micron 99% filter is minimal and may be as low as 0.2psi
3. Cleaner fuel will help extend the longevity of your fuel system
4. The benefits seem to out weight any detrimental effects

Change filters at regular intervals to ensure pressure drop is minimised.