Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Fuel and fuel systems

Fuel and fuel systems Petrol vs Diesel, LPG Conversions, premium fuels, and all that gas

Old 27-10-14

Special thanks to Gunsrunner for the photo and feedback on the flexitank. That's the info I am after. I would also consider an MDF panel above the tank for additional protection/storage if I deem it necessary, because with the trip I am planning, the van has to stay behind, and I need to carry everything needed for 2 weeks; the majority outback camping (food, cooking, sleeping etc)
Thanks to all others who have replied, and I take all comments on board.
Have looked into "boating" poly tanks, but I would consider them to be more susceptible to fatigue fracture than a flexible tank; especially if protected with carpet etc. Also, they would not be moulded, or able to mould, to the floor contours. BTW, the vehicle is a PC Challenger and not a Paj, so may find that premoulded poly tanks may or may not suit the PC floorpan. Have not looked at Boab, but will look into those.

Edit.....Just looked at Boab. $250 for a 40 litre footwell tank????? 2 x jerry cans which I already have. Hmmmm, which way will I go?
MY14 PC Challenger Auto, Terra Rosa, Rear Storage Drawer and Fridge System, 120Ah Dual Battery, Traxide SC80 Isolator, H/Reece Hitch. Tekonsha Primus IQ Brake Controller, LED Running Lights, 80W LED Light Bar, Factory (PB) Nudge Bar. Thule Racks, GME TX3510 CB, Poly Airs, MN Triton 17" wheels. Tinted windows, deflectors and bonnet guard. Headlight protectors.

Last edited by robdavo; 27-10-14 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Product check
Old 27-10-14
Valued Member

There's always a risk with any fluid inside. I had a 20lt plastic jerry crack on the last trip.
What a mission cleaning and drying it all out. All draws needed to come out, Rear seat well full of water, lucky for the bung plugs. Lots if raised bits where water can get trapped.
Do what you need to do to go away. At the end of it shit happens.
Dark tint: Driftadraws:bushskinz set:tough dog lift:50lt waeco:MSA drop down slide: optima 66AH blue top: oricom cb:GME antenna:120w solar:narva 170 lights:hayman reese brake controller:18/265/65 BFG's :roof basket & bag:SPV MK3.1:ARB compressor: Donaldson fuel filter:breathers:Redarc 40amp:century 120AH dual batt: Blue tongue offroad trekka camper trailer :2016 winch n bar Airtek snorkel
LIVING THE DREAM!! My Build http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=44476
Old 27-10-14

Flexitank has an impressive track record in industry, marine vessels and the military. I would have few doubts about using one for exactly the same purposes as the OPer.

But the relative cost is a deterrent. c. $700 for a 55 l diesel tank compared with around $1250 for a fitted 124 l LR tank on my wagon.
Old 27-10-14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigmund View Post
But the relative cost is a deterrent. c. $700 for a 55 l diesel tank compared with around $1250 for a fitted 124 l LR tank on my wagon.
Agree with cost, but $900 for 100 litre better value, and includes electric transfer pump. Compared to 5 jerries @ $40 each though, this is most likely the way I will go. Just means definite removal of seat/s to accomodate, but again, not an issue.
Also, generally a LR tank is either replacement or aux, and may/will involve removal of the underbody mounted spare which I do not want. Can also add additional weight more to the rear of the vehicle, hence possible upgrade of springs/shockers adding further expense (plus possibly warranty issues further down the track).
MY14 PC Challenger Auto, Terra Rosa, Rear Storage Drawer and Fridge System, 120Ah Dual Battery, Traxide SC80 Isolator, H/Reece Hitch. Tekonsha Primus IQ Brake Controller, LED Running Lights, 80W LED Light Bar, Factory (PB) Nudge Bar. Thule Racks, GME TX3510 CB, Poly Airs, MN Triton 17" wheels. Tinted windows, deflectors and bonnet guard. Headlight protectors.
Old 27-10-14
"2000"+ Valued Contributor

Send a message via MSN to sharkcaver Send a message via Skype™ to sharkcaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdavo View Post
Edit.....Just looked at Boab. $250 for a 40 litre footwell tank????? 2 x jerry cans which I already have. Hmmmm, which way will I go?
For a one off, I'd just go with the jerries. You have them anyhow. Only thing I would suggest is that they are secured properly (preferably behind a cargo barrier). Put them into the tank at first available chance. At 18l/100 they will be empty in 2 days at most for 2 off. Noting you originally stated 80L over 4 jerries. Now you have halved the payload?

Quote:
Can also add additional weight more to the rear of the vehicle, hence possible upgrade of springs/shockers adding further expense
A bladder or jerries will do this also, so that's not really a valid argument. Your spare tyre issue is probably the biggest argument re an aux tank. You mentioned originally 100/150L of fluid. Then all your supporting equipment for a two week self supporting trek. I would suggest a spring/shock and tyre upgrade would be inevitable anyway, moreso given the remoteness of where you plan to head. I traveled with Wayne (amr75wcr) in his challenger through the Simmo last year. A day or so after leaving town, he realised his upgraded suspension wasn't sufficient for the crossing and had to get airbags flown in and we fitted them in Birdsville prior to the crossing. His payload may have been greater than yours, but I would recommend a suspension upgrade as nearly a must do. The melon holes alone will push things to the limit on upgraded suspension let alone oem at maximum (or over) GVM.

How does one secure a bladder in the rare event one scratches the roof? I wouldn't like to get hit in the head with a full jerry, but I also wouldn't want to score a full 100L bladder either. The "soft" container itself might not cause personal injury, but the momentum of 100L of fluid certainly will.

I think if you want to do this trek, you need to put some more thought into it and realise that the cost of modding a vehicle for these types of trips are inevitable. That's not to say it cant be done with less mods, even oem trim, but it does lower the risk substantially. You would soon forget the cost of mods if a recovery was ever needed. Case in point, the $6000 recovery bill for the Prado owner that put 20L of water into his fuel tank. With no provision to drain the tank in the field. Whilst not mod related, it does highlight the cost of recovery.

MY16 NX GLX5, Dobinson's HD springs + MRR shocks + Firestone airbags, 17" Toyo Opats, XXX bar, Dominator winch + IB500 relay, Full Bushskinz kit, Rhino track mount, 7" led spots, 23" light bar, SPV block, Ultragauge, Donaldson secondary filter, LRA 81L aux, 105AGM in rear + Projecta IDC25, 2 tier rear shelf + slide, ARB on board compressor, 2.5 x 3.0 awning

NX build

My Journeys
Old 27-10-14

Sharkcaver......note all your comments, and mostly agree with your points. Have done a hell of a lot outback in Patrol and Navara previously; both with lift kits and Koni shocks. Current rig only has poly airs on rear for towing, but will be considering fitting Koni shocks and carry OEM as spares.
Also don't do these trips without full top RACV cover, as I know the costs involved in remote recovery.
This is the start of some 18 months of planning, and whilst I have all my recovery equip, tyre repair, spares etc covered, all previous trips to places like Cape York, Connie Sue, Ningaloo coastal, Gibb, etc etc have been done with a camper trailer, this would be a tag along with a professional crew.
Old 27-10-14

This has been on my mind for the past 2 vehicals i have owned without L/R tanks. I have had two of these "bladders" for use with petrol in boats that i have owned, these were a very heavy (like wetsuit) material on the outer to protect them and some sort of inner i presume. I used them for years, we had 1 that held 200lt we would lay this flat on the deck fill it and use that fuel to get us there then roll it up the size of a small sleeping bag and put it away. We had no hesitation walking over/on it, it never leaked one bit.
Due to the fact that i think petrol would be more corrosive towards pvc/plastic/poly i am assuming that a petrol bladder from Whitworths would be suitable to use for diesel, ( i may be wrong). As you would imagine in a boat the rocking and rolling would be simular to a 4x4, these "bladders" just stayed where you up them till almost empty. I would not put it on the roof unless empty, and the 3rd row seat well would be perfect. I would however drill a hole to use as a vent so there is no fume in the car.

2012 Platinum, 2" lift, Roo Chip, Blocked EGR, Catch can, Dual Batt and Redarc switch, ARB colour coded Bull bar, LED spot flood bar, LED hed light globs, Tow bar.