Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Fuel and fuel systems

Fuel and fuel systems Petrol vs Diesel, LPG Conversions, premium fuels, and all that gas

Old 20-07-14
Valued Member

Default Best for short trips

Ok, quick question. Short trips around town. Usually less then 10k to and from work plus a few extra k's every few days. Trips out of town maybe once every three or four months max and could be up to 1000k per trip. Hardly ever tow anything and even if I do it's a 7x5 cage maximum.

What's best - 3.5l V6 petrol or 2.8 turbo diesel (assuming both are automatics)?

Edit: Gen 2's by the way - should have specified earlier

Last edited by Skexis; 20-07-14 at 10:06 PM.
Old 21-07-14
Valued Member

3.5 all the way
Old 21-07-14
Valued Member

A very intelligent question Skexis. It really is a case of buying an engine to suit your lifestyle. I second Nab response. Not wishing to seem biased, but petrol over diesel in your case Skexis because the diesel does not like short trips and if you did want one, in whatever brand, ensure NO DPF! Even then you must factor in the upkeep (presuming 2nd hand) the cost of a turbo (not going far when they blow) also a diesel fuel pump over the cost of a petrol pump, cost of injectors replacement, cost of engine replacement if the injector seals leak diesel into engine for too long, and the need to be diligent to ensure no water in fuel which is apparently more damaging to a diesel engine (that's why some are installing aftermarket water traps). Diesel fuel is no longer cheaper than petrol. I do like diesels but these things bother me.
99 NL Escape 3.5L V6 LWB Wagon, "Aisin Auto", MM Alum Protector Bar, MM factory 'steel' underbody protector plates, Engine oil cooler, Transmission oil cooler, Side rails, Flares, MM Alloy wheels, HANKOOK Dynapro ATM LT tyres, Aftermarket Alarm, MM A.I.S. HPR15 Penrite engine oil. Penrite LS140 diff oil with 250ml LIMSLIP additive 7098.

Last edited by MTN-KAT; 21-07-14 at 10:54 PM.
Old 21-07-14
Valued Member

If running extremely short trips, get a petrol. Diesel engine need to get up to operating temperature to run at their most efficient operation, which I usually longer than it take for a pertrol engine to get to its operating temperature.

I have a diesel and love it, first one, no issues so far including no DPF issues (and yes has a dpf, irrelavent as your looking at Gen2 and they never had them) . However I rarely have a drive thats less than 15-20 minutes with very few traffics lights in that drive.

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.
Wanting: Rocksliders, 2" lift, snorkel or perhaps I should wait and purchase a NS swb in 12months time.