Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 2 Pajero

Generation 2 Pajero NH - NL Models 1991 - 2000

Old 10-01-20
Valued Member

Default General aircon question

Posting a question for someone else (with a 98 GLS):

Up around Canberra and Dubbo in 40 degree plus heat and the aircon in the NL LWB seems to be struggling a bit so, out of interest, I sourced a thermometer to stick in one of the dash outlets to take some readings.
With ECON selected, the air out of the vents is 15 degrees Celsius. When A/C is selected the temperature drops to 10 degrees.
How does this compare generally and is it a bit too high in either case?

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.
Old 10-01-20
Valued Member

Too high. Should be 4 or 5 degrees C at the dash outlets if all is well. This is just going on what a car A/C guy told me once.
MM Lockup mate. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with Light Force Spotties. Provent catch can. LED interior lights.
Old 10-01-20

That's working pretty well then. 10°C is really good, probably too cold.. the lowest most home A/C and current car climate control aircon is only 16deg.. sure you might be able to get it a tad lower on recirc.. but they won't go much lower than that unless you're in Alpine climates. It's also a health risk to have air that cold blowing on you as it can and will cause hypothermic conditions..

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
Old 10-01-20
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithyv View Post
Too high. Should be 4 or 5 degrees C at the dash outlets if all is well. This is just going on what a car A/C guy told me once.
Many many years ago when I was an apprentice we would consider 5 degrees at vent perfect, but depends on air speed and ambient temperature whether you can get down that low.

Temperature at outlet has to be significantly lower than actual cabin temperature to maintain suitable cabin temperature, otherwise the system will not be able to overcome the ambient heat infitrating trom outside.

On a modern system where you set a temperature instead of just a hot/cold dial, the number is desired cabin temperature, not vent temperature.
Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.
Old 10-01-20
Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meth'd_up_Mitsi View Post
It's also a health risk to have air that cold blowing on you as it can and will cause hypothermic conditions.
Really? How did anybody ever survive all those years of aircon vents blowing single digit temperatures?

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box
Old 11-01-20

Well that was the old days. This day and age you can get sued for anything & everything.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
Old 11-01-20
Resident

In the driveway this afternoon, as I was about to go out. Dash display said ambient of 25 degrees.

2010 Pajero.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg air con temp.jpg (97.7 KB, 116 views)

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box
Old 12-01-20
Valued Member

Good info thanks. They’ve been looking at the thread.

I’ll pick myself up a little stick thermometer one day and put it in my own vent, just because I can. Kind of interested.

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.
Old 16-01-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj swb View Post
Really? How did anybody ever survive all those years of aircon vents blowing single digit temperatures?
I remember my father's TE cortina blowing ice from the aircon and freezing the t-bar
http:// https://www2.pajeroclub.com....ad.php?t=50484
Old 16-01-20
Valued Member

Perhaps it just needs a service... Re-gas as it can loose its use over time...

Gemster...
97 NL 3.5 GLS AUTO (Formally owned by geopaj)__ARB bar, Snorkel ,2 Uniden Uhfs , Roof Console, 2"lift, Terrain Tamer Suspension, Dual bat, Redarc System, BFG KO2's All Terrains, 55L sub tank, Pioneer sound, Milford cargo barrier, Extractors, SS exhaust, 3 core radiator, Rear camp light, Free Wheel Hubs, Improved Rear Storage unit, Alarm, Led interior lamps, and a New Heart to come
..and No Airbags. We die like real Men